Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TheLittleBigMan

How will you feel if we miss out on Europa League?

2 hours ago, CarbonVirtine said:

What's the difference in prize money between 7th and 8th in the Prem? Or. more to the point, 7th and 9th?

Enough for Burnley to buy another couple of defenders, and enough for us to pay for free beer for the season, i know which i'd prefer.

2 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Annoyed, because it's given a mediocre end to the season some meaning but we don't deserve it at all. Burnley went about 10 games without a win and we still couldn't cement a place. Now they've won 4 on the bounce whilst we've not won any home games in a run of Swansea, Stoke, Bournemouth and Newcastle. I just think there's a large group of average teams way off the top 6 and we're one of them. I don't actually consider us to be any better or worse than a few teams around us. 

Knowing us, we'll win at Burnley and drag out this tiny hope that this season can turn into something special. We've lost just as many games as we've won and we're not out of the European race yet. Says all you need to know about the Premier League this season.

I'm honestly not that bothered if we lose at Burnley. Probably be different during the game but that Newcastle game felt like the knockout blow for me, a last chance to sort ourselves out and make it, and yet never at any point did I think we'd win, never at any point did I think Burnley wouldn't (legitimately said they'd win even after they went behind) because they've got better character than us as a team now. We've proven on a number of occasions this season that we've really not got that character about us anymore and it's that what gives you hope for even the unlikeliest of wins. Right now I don't think we'll win again this season. It's impossible to have faith when time and time again we're failing to win the easiest games.

Edited by Dan LCFC
  • Like 2

I’m personally gutted or I was after Saturday. 

Seeing us Europe combined two things I love. Travel and Leicester City. Throw your mates in there too. I’ll have a Thursday night in Plock, Poland rather than my sixth visit to see us at Swansea. 

More I consider it getting 7th is little bit like qualification through the back door. It’s only due to a number of events that we’d wualify. Hardly through our own right. 

Theres a six point gap - Burnley beat Stoke twice whilst we got 2/6, should have won both games. Our record alone against the bottom 3 speaks volumes really. To have a europe qualifying season we can’t afford a crap start playing catch up, get out the blocks and get some confidence going. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, MattP said:

Just last season we knocked out the team who had won three Europa League titles on the trot.

I'm not comparing us to Man U, no idea where you got that from. I'm saying look who they beat to win it - is it really implausible we couldn't beat Celta Vigo and Ajax?

In our current state I don't think we'd beat either over two legs sadly. We've got to really improve to even qualify, let alone win it. I think it'll be harder to qualify next year which is what makes it so frustrating.

2 hours ago, Callabinho said:

It’s only a burden if you approach it in that way. United didn’t, and saw it as an opportunity to get into the CL if they couldn’t in the league. There’s a stigma attached to the Europa league, it’s as if it’s beneath us, premier league teams should be in the championship league.... we underestimate and undervalue what the competition brings, financial reward, global recognition and a place in the champions league. The set up is no different to the champions league, just that everything is a day behind. For a team like us winning the Europa league would be a goldmine.

If you approach anything in a half arsed manner you’ll fail, prepare properly and theres no reason we can’t win in.... Burnley have set their sights on it and will achieve it, we will fall away because we simply don’t have the metal to see it through. 

There's another round, and on average your journeys are harder. Last year we went to Belgium, Denmark, Portugal, Spain and Spain. Arsenal this year have been to Germany, Serbia, Belarus, Sweden, Italy, Russia, with another two rounds left yet possibly. Everton went to Slovakia, Croatia, Italy, Cyprus and France.

It is logistically tougher.

Honestly... a bit relieved, although I feel guilty about it!

I should really want us to be competing in Europe and surely it will boost our finances and help us attract signings, but it is a tough competition, which along with the other cup fixtures, can seriously stretch squads to the limits! Away matches on a Thursday night in the likes of Russia, with a League game at the weekend, will undoubtedly impact our results! 

I think after some much needed investment in the right areas, and the promotion of youth which Puel seems keen on, then next season we will be much better prepared for a Europe push and far more equipped to compete on all fronts the season after. 

Nobody on here is suggesting than winning the Europa League will be a breeze but it’s definitely possible. We can beat any team in the EL on our day over two legs and I think this season is a bit of a freak with having a team as strong as Atlético in it. We certainly have the quality of players to give it a good go but I agree with others in that we need reinforcements this summer and to put in better performances if we were to qualify (not that it’s going to happen now anyway). By which point we should do enough to at least stay out of trouble in the league. People who bring up last season’s European campaign seem to pretend it was the only factor involved in our domestic struggles. Do you honestly think we’d have had a significantly more comfortable season in the league under Ranieri last season if we weren’t in the CL? 

As one of the other posters said, if you have the right attitude and don’t look down on it then you can win it. The group stage campaign isn’t any more congested than the champions league, it’s the same number of games, it’s only when we get to the knockout stages that it is and if we have enough points on the board in the league at this stage then we can do what Man Utd and Arsenal have done and prioritise it. 5 years ago I thought the Europa League was above Leicester City (as I’m too young to remember the UEFA Cup campaigns) never mind below us, so I don’t know how fans can begrudge bloody European football!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MattP said:

For the second time, I'm not comparing us to them - I'm saying we could have won the Europa League with the route they had to it, that isn't a comparison.

Totally baffled at your logic that we couldn't win the Europa League because we got nowhere near winning the Champions League, ridiculous comparison. The team we knocked out in the last 16 of that, Sevilla, had just won it three years on the bounce.

Using that logic, Manchester United couldn't win it, given they were knocked out in the CL Group Stage, yet they won it. Then Sevilla, who went out at the last 16 stage, also couldn't win it, despite actually winning it three times on the trot.

That's beyond daft.

The same Dortmund you talk about were dumped out in the QF this season by Red Bull Salzburg. Atletico are only in the competition because of some seriously freakish results in the Champions League.

You've literally gone and made up the worst case scenario there to try and suit your argument, no one has ever had a run that tough to win the Europa League. Celta Vigo and Ajax was pretty standard last four and final before this season.

I think you're vastly overestimating the current abilities of this team and making an exception being the rule to justify our chances to win the EL.

Even if already knocked one of them out (Sevilla), the teams you're mentioning are still better than us because they consistently produce results. Season after season. We fcking don't.

We're currently nowhere near making it to the last 16 (with a very kind draw), let alone win it.

Edited by ZeGuy

13 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Gutted that we don’t get to enjoy the incredible scenes of a year ago, relieved I don’t have to pay for it and go through the stresses of booking flights and getting the time off.

Don't think it'd be quite the same the Europa league.....Half the excitement more than likely twice the price and stress getting to back water towns in Azerbaijan.

Don't get me wrong I'd not say no, I think it's gone after last weekend though.  

Edited by Manwell Pablo

Just now, Manwell Pablo said:

Don't think it'd be quite the same the Europa league.....Half the excitement more than likely twice the price and stress getting to back water towns in Azerbaijan.

To be honest after having our collection of city idiots on that foray, the more obstacles the better to avoid such 'characters' coming. 

14 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Don't get me wrong I'd not say no, I think it's gone after last weekend though.  

Yeah I agree, this time last year i landed in Madrid to watch little old Leicester play Atletico in the Champions League quarter finals. What the **** is that all about.

11 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Yeah I agree, this time last year i landed in Madrid to watch little old Leicester play Atletico in the Champions League quarter finals. What the **** is that all about.

Ah yes memories of batons and plastic bullets.

Good times.

It isn't just fatigue, it's the potential for injuries. During our CL campaign we picked up significant injuries to Kasper and Drinky taking them out for months. If Ndidi or Vardy gets a significant injury it could screw us up in the league badly. Sure they could get injured in the league as well, but playing 50% more games with even less muscle recovery time seems like it's just looking for trouble. Plus trying to concentrate on both PL and EL, we'd have to essentially throw the domestic cups.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Donut said:

Its not implausible in one off games, anyone can beat anyone.

Its implausible to suggest youll knock Celta Vigo out over two legs, play a league game on the sunday between the games, then knock Ajax out over two legs, play a league game on the sunday in between, then knock out Man Utd over two legs, play on the sunday in between, then play a one off final against a team that will most likely be better than us like Atletico Madrid or Borussia Dortmund etc etc.

And that's assuming you've gone through the group unscathed which would be no bargain either. Long arduous trips to far away destinations like Turkey, Israel, Azerbaijan etc

.......does that mean if we finish 6th next year we opt out of Europe?

10 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Finish 6th first, then we'll see.

.....the itinerary involved seems to be the main stumbling block as envisaged by the majority of our poster, the ability to compete seems to be secondary. I wonder how this competition has managed to continue if all the clubs involved viewed qualification in this manner.

Anybody who would rather not be playing European football is a fool who shouldn't bother supporting the club. Are we going to just become a club that turns up every season with the intention just to avoid relegation? Happy with mid table? As supporters we should live for European away days and home matches under the lights. Nobody will remember that time you came 12th comfortably, but they'll remember an away trip to Galati or Hajduk Split. Competing in Europe attracts players (well somehow Rudkin messed that up last time) and allows us to keep pushing on as a club. Look at where Spurs were 5 or 6 seasons ago and now I'd say they are an established top 4 club as much as it pains me to say. Personally, I know we won't get Europe now with Pleb as manager and it is a real shame.

• Like 1