Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Negativity

16 minutes ago, Stan said:

So comfortably in the top 10% of our historical league finishes. 

We should not be firing managers for this.

If managers only made end-of-the season finishes, then I'd concur.

But Southampton fired him.

Sadly, the football on show right now is near-catastrophic.

Edited by MC Prussian

1 minute ago, MC Prussian said:

If managers only made end-of-the season finishes, then I'd concur.

Sadly, the football on show right now is near-catastrophic.

Near-catastrophic?

Jesus wept. Please get a grip.

Edited by Stan
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, Stan said:

Near-catastrophic?

it's certainly neither entertaining nor productive, to put it mildly.

And one game with some positive aspects, just like the Southampton home draw on Thursday, can't make up for all the turgid displays that came before that.

But of course, we should be praising our possession stats, our shots on goal and whatever stat you need to come up with as an excuse for four wins in 17 and no home win since late January.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

it's certainly neither entertaining nor productive, to put it mildly.

We have been somewhat spoilt on the entertainment front for the best part of 5 years. Unfortunately, I think this is colouring opinions of our current situation.

10 minutes ago, Stan said:

Near-catastrophic?

Stan - there’s no in between with our support. It’s either good or it’s crap/rubbish/awful. We are average - that’s where we are. Average in the top flight. Yeah it could be better but could be a lot worse. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

No I’m saying Favre hasn’t had the same obstacles Puel has had in managing outside of his native country. 

Well, the thing is you know little about Favre and his managerial past and what he had to do to overcome his shortcomings in order to manage successfully abroad.

Favre is from the French-speaking part in Switzerland and had to learn German the hard way. If the Romands' learn a first foreign language (if they have a school with an emphasis on foreign languages), then it's usually Italian. And they fail even at that.

Compare that to Puel who's spent 15 of his 17 years in management in his native France. Pretty comfy.

Edited by MC Prussian

Compared to the pre-Thai era it's above average but why should we be comparing with that time?

Our form since Christmas is near relegation stuff, hardly what we, or the Thai's want given the investment going into the club. Those posing as ' the voices of realism and sanity' haven't adjusted to the fact we are not the same old Leicester City and this kind of form for a club aspiring for regular top 6 finishes is not good enough. 

The fact that it was acceptable for the type of club we were 10 years ago is not relevant anymore than Man City could say a top 10 finish is historically great for them. The Premier League win and the huge investment has changed the club fundamentally and the owners won't put up indefinitely with mediocrity.

Having said that, we all recognise that even good new managers can sometimes take a while to improve things. The question is whether things will eventually improve or not. No-one knows for sure but after signs of improvement should be evident after 6 months. If we lose most of the rest of the season he isinserious trouble but if we are mixed but ok he will get the summer to recruit.

It is silly to deny there is a problem or decry those expressing it, and although it is not entirely clear yet whether the matter has reached crisis point, it's getting close and I am sure he is aware of that. People aren't stupid, they can see things aren't going well. 

3 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Southampton had sold any attacking players of note together with injuries. To have tried to play any sort of attacking form of football would have been suicidal. Yes he was defensive and it was possibly dull. Yet ... still manages to finish 8th and a cup final, their first for years, a real failure eh! I think their real failure was to constantly ship out a list of incredibly good players at huge profit year after year, very little of which was meaningfully reinvested.

Fast forward to Leicester and again Puel is at a team with problems with a fan base many of which that at time would be happy to take two places above the relegation zone. Despite a handful of players that are exceptional, we had a bunch of ill purchased misfits being played out of position or in unfamiliar formations trying to hoof a ball up in the air to fit a style of play not comensurate with the attributes of those same players.

Suddenly we're 8th and the pessamists are out along with the 'I told you so brigade'. This personal 'point proving' 'I know better than the manager from my armchair' attitude seems far more important to some than Leicester City doing well. Am I happy with all the performances I'm seeing? No. Is Puel? I doubt it but he's hardly going to publicly castegate his players just to appease a few gobby supporters. He's got to work with those same players the next week and try to get a result. I bet he reognises both the deficiencies both in performances and personnel also.

I doubt many other managers would have achieved more than a very good 8th with this bunch! Its about where we could reasonably expect to be imo. Puel like any other manager will want to do better but won't be able to until there's a few hirings and firings. You can't play any system without the right players complimenting it, didn't we learn that much from Shakespeare?  A new manager now would have to conduct transfers blindly as he wouldn't know the physical attributes let alone the personalities of this squad (including troublemaking, press grassing know it alls).

Excellent post ... completely agree .. Puel needs time and I think he will get it 

5 hours ago, Matt said:

"I think a lot of people decided Puel was no good based on some Southampton fans opinions"

Maybe, but what they said is turning out to be pretty spot on.

"For me manager go when you go on runs of five, six and seven run losing streaks"

Well, admitedly we haven't lost five, six or seven in a row, but the form says 4 wins in 17, with no home league win since January, it's certainly alarming, is it not? Or is that acceptable, should we not even be noting it? Simply sweeping it under the carpet and pretending everything is rosy?

"The football played by Claudio was turgid in the 2nd season"

Correct and he got sacked, no-ones disputing it, I don't see what your point is.

Infact, yeah I guess you're right, not being able to break down Southampton, Bournemouth, Stoke, Swansea (all at home) with Stoke (Again) and West Ham away, whilst losing to Burnley (Not so much of an embarrasment albeit frustrating - They're doing well despite what people on here say), Newcastle, Everton, Watford, Crystal Palace is much more acceptable...

On Claudio, what I am trying to say is that is an example of when to fire somebody. I don't think we are anywhere near that point yet. 

Yes, you have listed some average to poor home games. But we have also played some good stuff under Puel which you are ignoring, hence the top half position we are in. I honestly think it is much better than the Shakey hoof ball and the Claudio dross in season two. Be patient and let the guy get his philosophy drilled in to "his" squad. 

15 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

On Claudio, what I am trying to say is that is an example of when to fire somebody. I don't think we are anywhere near that point yet. 

Yes, you have listed some average to poor home games. But we have also played some good stuff under Puel which you are ignoring, hence the top half position we are in. I honestly think it is much better than the Shakey hoof ball and the Claudio dross in season two. Be patient and let the guy get his philosophy drilled in to "his" squad. 

The good stuff, erm, i've not seen much of it, but it's all about opinions and I respect that.

'Hence the top half position we are in'

Erm, I don't think performances have got anything to do with that, i'd argue it was his 'honeymoon' period that propelled us up there and we've stayed there ever since, which I think says more about how poor this league has been this season, firstly because of how 'easy' it was to get up there, secondly because we've managed to stay there without any worry or challenge that being shown by the fact Burnley went almost 2 months without a win and stayed 7th without any worry or challenge.

Shakespeare was too concerned about not losing rather than winning, I think Puel has slightly (And that's no complement by the way) more about him and hasn't got that mind set quite as bad but it's not alot of difference.

Edited by Matt

6 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Winning the title was a freak accident, a wonderful exception to the usual Premier League season.

It was a marvelous, joyous occasion and in order to explain it in more detail, you have to look at what made us so successful.

But hey, great to use our freak title season against Puel's Southampton, where they petered out the season in negative style.

Like I said, final position doesn't tell the full story.

So how do you measure the full story of the Season? No matter what your I think about Puel and performances, if you finish 15th, I would suggest over 38 games you werethe15th best team....I look forward to a short concise reply if you believe otherwise....

1 hour ago, chapero82 said:

No wins at home since January, 4 wins in 17 would suggest so! 

Yes, it’s a bad run, but not catastrophic. 

I don’t remember Pearson getting this much grief when he couldn’t buy a win for months in the Championship.

I can understand people not wanting this kind of football forever. It's currently not appealing. The fact it's spread to stuff like Fuchs helping our footballing youth with their GCSEs is sad though.

Edited by Foxxed

14 hours ago, Reg Vardy said:

Mate started in 1965....8th is real progress....what gets me is the line, we have got all that money, and we have signed crap players.....every club in the Premier league has got more money, the platform we compete in is the same as it always was, finance is at a higher level.

Ieanacho, Diabate, Maguire, all look the part to my untrainedeye, but what do I know?

i also believe the criticism wouldn’t be there if we were 7th.....funny old game

If we were 7th we'd have won 3 more games.

There is a club down the road who chase egg shaped balls about if you dont like what you see at the KP.

****sake, this is the epitomy of what is wrong with modern football....everything has to happen over night.

Puel inherited a team that was not assembled to play the way he wants so it needs time....and he still managed to take us from relegation candidates to comfirtable safety...but thsts still not good enough apparently.

Edited by gerrytaggart
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, gerrytaggart said:

There is a club down the road who chase egg shaped balls about if you dont like what you see at the KP.

****sake, this is the epitomy of what is wrong with modern football....everything has to happen over night.

Puel inherited a team that was not assembled to play the way he wants so it needs time....and he still managed to take us from relegation candidates to comfirtable safety...but thsts still not good enough apparently.

No, it doesn't.

Would be nice to see some progress in the space of seven months, though.

And the comfortable safety bit... If by comfortable you mean living off a great start for the past five months, meaning four wins out of the past 17 matches, then our definitions of "comfortably" differ greatly.

• Like 1