Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Voll Blau

Cricket 2018

5 hours ago, MattP said:

Oh I still think so as well.

Not having him does massively upset the balance of the team though.

Although the ECB should take most of the flak.

Upset the balance,that much,we beat India in the 2nd test.

Look I want Stokes ,to have a future for England,but maybe I would of kept him away from this next test.

Let's see what the 2 youngsters POPE and CURRAN can do,against a hurt but fighting Indian spirit.

Woakes comes back from injury and grabs his chance,now we go to another ground made for him.I

Stokes was found not Guilty,he has English vice captain got himself into a unsavoury situation...

He had deaf ears,to English cricket expectations,so take some cosmetic disciplinary action.

Go play for his county, then a recall for 4th Test.

And yes the english team and management,should have him on a warning.......!

Innocent of any undoing,aparrently, but caught when off guard,by not acting according to English vice captain

Expected attributes...

6 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Upset the balance,that much,we beat India in the 2nd test.

Look I want Stokes ,to have a future for England,but maybe I would of kept him away from this next test.

Let's see what the 2 youngsters POPE and CURRAN can do,against a hurt but fighting Indian spirit.

Woakes comes back from injury and grabs his chance,now we go to another ground made for him.I

Stokes was found not Guilty,he has English vice captain got himself into a unsavoury situation...

He had deaf ears,to English cricket expectations,so take some cosmetic disciplinary action.

Go play for his county, then a recall for 4th Test.

And yes the english team and management,should have him on a warning.......!

Innocent of any undoing,aparrently, but caught when off guard,by not acting according to English vice captain

Expected attributes...

We weren't discussing Stokes availability in this series, we were talking about his lack of availability for the past Ashes series.

5 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

We weren't discussing Stokes availability in this series, we were talking about his lack of availability for the past Ashes series.

Ok..in that case..1st part my bad,delete from memory

but the rest stands..

Just now, MattP said:

Looks like it will Pope or Curran out for Stokes. 

Very harsh on either of them but I suppose you can't drop Woakes.

You don't think Stokes will join up but won't play? That would follow the more recent trend of player 'reintegration' that seems to be flavour of the month. I know it's only been one match but I wouldn't be totally surprised if they did that to get Stokes back around the team immediately.

If he's in the team it'll be harsh on whoever drops out but I can't see it being Pope. 

Guest MattP
18 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

You don't think Stokes will join up but won't play? That would follow the more recent trend of player 'reintegration' that seems to be flavour of the month. I know it's only been one match but I wouldn't be totally surprised if they did that to get Stokes back around the team immediately.

If he's in the team it'll be harsh on whoever drops out but I can't see it being Pope. 

I'd be amazed if he isn't going to play after the call up.

I think they'll was to get him out there as quick as possible. 

26 minutes ago, MattP said:

Looks like it will Pope or Curran out for Stokes. 

Very harsh on either of them but I suppose you can't drop Woakes.

If only we could produce opening batsmen like we produce all-rounders.

I think i'd drop Curran, as good as he's been he'll have his time.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

I'd be amazed if he isn't going to play after the call up.

I think they'll was to get him out there as quick as possible. 

Yeah, you're probably right. Woakes has made it very difficult for them then. They would surely have to drop Curran if that's the case. I can't see them bringing Pope in for his debut only to drop him next game, that's the England of the 1990's and they've worked very hard to get away from that. I suppose it will depend on exactly how ruthless England selectors want to be.

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Harsh on Curran for him to miss out instead of Stokes. Think they should've been looking at cutting one of the batsmen to bring him in, but it always seems to be a bowler that gets the chop when a genuine all-rounder becomes available.

No... they should be asking him to sit out the rest of the summer as a minimum. 

3 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Er, why? He's possibly our best player.

Curran has done absolutely nothing wrong, there's a good atmosphere around the squad at the minute and we're probably about to whitewash India in a test series.

Why unbalance that by bringing back someone currently under disciplinary investigation and only not in jail because a judge specifically asked a jury to 'consider his stature in society'

It's an absolute ****ing joke.  

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

Curran has done absolutely nothing wrong, there's a good atmosphere around the squad at the minute and we're probably about to whitewash India in a test series.

Why unbalance that by bringing back someone currently under disciplinary investigation and only not in jail because a judge specifically asked a jury to 'consider his stature in society'

It's an absolute ****ing joke.  

Well that's not true is it? If none of the jury were cricket fans (they were specifically asked if they'd heard of him during selection) then why would that factor into their deliberations?

The fact is he and his co-defendants were found not guilty, he's already missed a significant amount of cricket while under criminal investigation and his bowling won us the First Test in this series. Why wouldn't you pick him when he's been a major contributor to what (hopefully) ends up being a whitewash?

Like I say though, it shouldn't be Curran that misses out and the selector's decision to drop him for Stokes is wrong.

1 minute ago, Voll Blau said:

Well that's not true is it? If none of the jury were cricket fans (they were specifically asked if they'd heard of him during selection) then why would that factor into their deliberations?

The fact is he and his co-defendants were found not guilty, he's already missed a significant amount of cricket while under criminal investigation and his bowling won us the First Test in this series. Why wouldn't you pick him when he's been a major contributor to what (hopefully) ends up being a whitewash?

Like I say though, it shouldn't be Curran that misses out and the selector's decision to drop him for Stokes is wrong.

I just really feel strongly about the whole situation, wasn't particularly picking on you I just don't think he should be anywhere near the squad.

The jury thing wasn't about someone knowing Cricket, it was about the judge saying 'please do remember who this person is' and I just don't see how a comment like that should be allowed because it would clearly sway a jury.

Guest MattP
43 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I'm expecting another England win within 4 days. Making a mockery of us again lol

I'm at least hoping we show some more fight though cos the last test was just pathetically embarrassing. 

That's pretty optimistic mate no bad weather forecast lol

On Stokes - if he's fit and ready to go of course he plays, he's a World class cricketer and gets in any side. Very harsh on Curran but it was either him, Woakes or a batsman if they wanted to keep a spinner in.

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

That's pretty optimistic mate no bad weather forecast lol

On Stokes - if he's fit and ready to go of course he plays, he's a World class cricketer and gets in any side. Very harsh on Curran but it was either him, Woakes or a batsman if they wanted to keep a spinner in.

further emphasising the point of how bad we can be lol 

Are India this shit everywhere outside of India or are they just in poor form? Or do they just do badly on English pitches? 

Aren't they meant to be the best in the world atm? 

They look a bit like Portugal in the football, Kohli is Ronaldo, absolute freak of nature. Everyone else looks bang average at best. 

Guest MattP
10 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Are India this shit everywhere outside of India or are they just in poor form? Or do they just do badly on English pitches? 

Very average against anyone any good in own conditions. There preparation was a disgrace for this tour though - one warm up match against Essex and they cut that short by a day as they said it was too hot. 

They snuck a 1-0 here in 2007 and that was the last time they won a series against us, South Africa or Australia away.

Brilliant at home though, think we were the last time to win there back in 2012. Teams don't have time to prepare for tours now though, away wins are becoming rarer and rarer. 

Regards the home wins, is this because everyone builds a team that reflects their own pitches? 

As a layman, it looks like Australian pitches are great for fast and they've got loads of fast bowlers, looks like Indian pitches are good for spinners and they have good spinners etc? 

English conditions are good for, what, swing? That's what Anderson and Broad do and I'm guessing Curran? 

I'm not sure I understand the difference between getting swing and not really but there seems to be a significant difference between England and Australia despite them both favouring fast bowlers. 

Edited by Finnegan

30 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Aren't they meant to be the best in the world atm? 

They look a bit like Portugal in the football, Kohli is Ronaldo, absolute freak of nature. Everyone else looks bang average at best. 

yeah we're quite poor when not playing in India.

Everyone before this test series kept saying how England will be playing the best team in the world. I don't know if that was some kind of reverse psychology so when England do win the series they can say the beat the best - but in recent history India have been so poor playing in England. We have better records elsewhere but England has always been difficult to play in. And I wouldn't even blame it all on the pitches...

16 minutes ago, MattP said:

Very average against anyone any good in own conditions. There preparation was a disgrace for this tour though - one warm up match against Essex and they cut that short by a day as they said it was too hot. 

They snuck a 1-0 here in 2007 and that was the last time they won a series against us, South Africa or Australia away.

Brilliant at home though, think we were the last time to win there back in 2012. Teams don't have time to prepare for tours now though, away wins are becoming rarer and rarer. 

As above, the preparation was terrible. We played some pointless games to benefit the shorter format and not getting us prepared for tests or longer matches.

Our squad though relates to that point about the shorter format - there's too many players who just don't have the discipline to play a game out for 4/5 days. They're far too focussed on hitting big shots, big swing-and-a-miss usually. Only Kohli seems to be able to adapt to any kind of pitch, any kind of bowler and get success out of it*. A joy to watch but whoever he's batting with doesn't even have half the discipline he has. The influence of T20/IPL is clear for me in our squad. It's a shame because some players in the test squad are obviously very talented in their own way but when it comes to tests, there's little to shout about. 

EDIT: And Ashwin when it comes to bowling as well.

Edited by StanSP