Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Voll Blau

Cricket 2018

7 minutes ago, StanSP said:

who will replace Stokes for the next test? Bring back a spinner?

Ali seems the best bet. Shift Buttler up to six and stick Ali at seven. 

Malan to be replaced for the second test or will the selectors keep faith?

Guest MattP
7 minutes ago, Osavo said:

Ali seems the best bet. Shift Buttler up to six and stick Ali at seven. 

Malan to be replaced for the second test or will the selectors keep faith?

Makes it easier for them to stick with him now we've won, given recent history I'd say they are likely to give him another chance.

33 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

So tough for touring teams to bat here. Test cricket, on the right pitches, you just can't beat it.

It’s the same for us when we tour though, not won a series away for a long time. 

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

One thing that should be noted is that while Root's captaincy has been suspect in the past, today he got it spot on.

He’s still learning the ropes of captain but I know you mean. 

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

Makes it easier for them to stick with him now we've won, given recent history I'd say they are likely to give him another chance.

Inclined to agree with this. They may drop him but England have worked so hard in getting away from the era where they dropped players virtually every test. Strangely, I think they'll actually be loathe to drop him after such a terrible game for him personally. They couldn't really be criticised if they do but they may well stick with him.

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

It’s the same for us when we tour though, not won a series away for a long time. 

That's true. All teams find it hard to adapt in fairness. It's just that hooping ball from fast bowlers here. When you see it in slow motion, how the hell is a batsman supposed to know what line to play lol. I certainly enjoy it more than the spinning wicket, slow games. That's what I was brought up with I suppose. Both types of games can be fascinating but the pitches with movement do it a little more for me.

2 minutes ago, Crinklyfox said:

Curran given MOM.  I know it's usual to give this to a player on the winning side but I thought Kohli's performance was outstanding on a wicket that gave something to the bowlers all match.

It's a tough call. Kohli was magnificent but Curran's exploits ultimately had more bearing on the result. I don't think you could have really argued either way. Pleased for Curran though, great confidence boost for him.

48 minutes ago, MattP said:

Kumar Sangakkara doing Little Britain jokes in the studio lol

What an addition he's been to the commentary team. I hope Michael Holding is around a while yet as the neutral commentator but Sanga speaks so clearly, has been around international cricket until recently and crucially has been in county cricket so he'll know about any new players coming through.

Great to listen to.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Corky said:

What an addition he's been to the commentary team. I hope Michael Holding is around a while yet as the neutral commentator but Sanga speaks so clearly, has been around international cricket until recently and crucially has been in county cricket so he'll know about any new players coming through.

Great to listen to.

I love the whole commentary team (apart from Nasser Hussain sometimes lol). They're brilliant and their insight in to the game with their analysis and educational aspect of it is superb.

Holding did annoy me (briefly) with some comments - Yadav got Curran or Bairstow out with what I thought was good bowling. Couple of balls a bit out wide and then brought one in which found the edge. He said it wasn't anything Yadav did, but more that he got fortunate with where it landed on the pitch.

Anderson does exactly the same today (2 out wide, 1 nips in to find the edge) and he says it's good bowling by Anderson.

Confused me a little as I found it a bit hypocritical.

But overall the whole Sky Sports team they've got is great. And you can't ever go wrong with having Bumble on commentary lol

Guest MattP
13 minutes ago, Corky said:

Great to listen to.

He's brilliant, hard to improve the Sky commentary team but he's done it. Extremely insightful. 

2 hours ago, MattP said:

He's brilliant, hard to improve the Sky commentary team but he's done it. Extremely insightful. 

Are you sure you wouldn't rather have Russel Arnold back as the Sri Lankan voice?! 

He was awful.

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Pope for Malan and Woakes for Stokes, then.

Seems like the selectors are thinking it won't turn much at Lord's then.

Is that official?

I'm a little surprised Ali doesn't play, Lords can be a bit of a road at times and a 2nd spinner might have been helpful. I haven't seen the pitch though. England have always been loathe to play two spinners I suppose.

I also thought they might stick with Malan but he really can't complain after this last test match.

Fingers crossed for Pope if he plays, we desperately need someone to nail down that slot in the batting order.

Just now, Max Wall said:

Is that official?

I'm a little surprised Ali doesn't play, Lords can be a bit of a road at times and a 2nd spinner might have been helpful. I haven't seen the pitch though. England have always been loathe to play two spinners I suppose.

I also thought they might stick with Malan but he really can't complain after this last test match.

Fingers crossed for Pope if he plays, we desperately need someone to nail down that slot in the batting order.

yeah James Taylor tweeted it.

What's this Pope guy like?

Ali is in the squad so he may be selected still.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

yeah James Taylor tweeted it.

Sorry Stan, I really haven't seen enough of him to make a judgement but I'm sure there's a few on here who have and will let us know.

Him being a right hander must have played a part in the decision I reckon as Ashwin is having a field day with those 7 left handers.

I expect he'll definitely play for that reason.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, StanSP said:
36 minutes ago, StanSP said:

A bit basic but this is from the BBC sport website regarding Pope.

England have called up uncapped batsman Ollie Pope in place of Dawid Malan for the second Test against India at Lord's starting on Thursday.

Surrey's Pope, 20, is the second highest run-scorer in County Championship Division One this season, with 684 at an average of 85.50.

Who is Ollie Pope?

Pope averages 63.25 in 15 first-class matches, having made his debut in July 2017.

He scored a century in his third first-class game, and three hundreds this summer have helped Surrey to the top of the Championship table.

Pope bats at six for his county, although he made an unbeaten 50 at number five for England Lions against India in the tour match at New Road before the Test series.

Edited by Max Wall

2 hours ago, MattP said:

Woakes in I'd imagine now. Weather won't be boiling and we've all seen the Indians playing the swinging ball.

expect a lower scoring game from us with the cloudier weather coming up lol.

Could be a mauling.