Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Voll Blau

Cricket 2018

Just now, Crinklyfox said:

I am and having seen the movement India are getting with the new ball plus the news that Kohli is injured I'm hoping that England declare soon and let Jimmy Anderson loose.

You'd hope so. I know India tend to grind teams into the turf at home when they're on top but there shouldn't be need to do that in this test.

I wonder if there being 5 tests in 6 weeks is part of the thought process and they just want to try and demoralise/tire the India bowlers.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

And now the declaration.

Guess an extra forty minutes isn't probably going to make a difference.

Let's hope not, still a little strange though. Maybe the idea is to have a flat out 90 minutes at them followed by lunch to give them a rest and break up the Indians concentration again. Only thing I can think of to make them play on such a short time.

1 minute ago, sm1 said:

He's had some unplayable deliveries.  If the weather holds up England should have it all sewed up by the end of today. 

Tbh, they've all been all at sea. Almost impossible to play Anderson when he's on song and the conditions suit. The ball in the first innings to Vijay was just brilliant.

8 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Are we going to declare too late again? Might as well just declare now and see what happens. Forecast is shit for today and tomorrow. 

8 hours ago, Max Wall said:

Anyone else a little surprised England are batting on?

8 hours ago, Crinklyfox said:

I am and having seen the movement India are getting with the new ball plus the news that Kohli is injured I'm hoping that England declare soon and let Jimmy Anderson loose.

7 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Why England didn't declare overnight is a mystery on a par with who shot JFK, really.

7 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Just wasting time here, don’t see the point at all. 

Leave it to the pros lads 

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

lol

They must have had top secret weather data because every average Joe was told we weren't going to get any play at all today.

Haha, to be fair I’d not expected much play today but came from the races to see them down for 7. Great stuff. 

Roll on next week. 

Guest MattP

Anyone know the last time a player played for England and didn't bat, bowl or take a catch in the whole match? (was Rashid this test)

Edited by MattP

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Anyone know the last time a player played for England and didn't bat, bowl or take a catch in the whole match? (was Rashid this test)

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/aug/12/adil-rashid-second-test-lords

Sorry it's a guardian link:

"Complete idleness here isn’t a first. The most famous of non-playing Test cricketers is probably Jack McBryan of Somerset, a prisoner of war during the first world war, who played once in 1924, didn’t bat or bowl or take a catch and never played again. In 2005 Gareth Batty did the same at Lord’s in a seamer-led thrashing of Bangladesh, his own contribution to that glorious summer, albeit one that has to date failed to yield an MBE."

Edit to add:

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/805993

"Overall, there have been 13 players to pull off the somewhat unwanted feat in 2315 Test matches over the years. Interestingly, the last man to not be called upon to do anything too critical was also an England player, and then too, it was at Lord’s."

Edited by Captain...

16 hours ago, Bert said:

Leave it to the pros lads 

Fair point Bert!

Given the final outcome, the batting on yesterday morning still seemed unnecessary but, ultimately, the result is the only thing that matters so I guess you could say they got it spot on :thumbup:

Interesting to see what happens from here. Disastrous tours are common place once it starts going wrong for a team, it'll be good to see how India respond from here. Really the only positive they have so far is Kohli finally getting two scores in the first test. That could have been so different too. I'm aware you have to bowl well too but the swing and conditions at Lords would make it very difficult for any touring team batting. Roll on the next test.

3 hours ago, Max Wall said:

Fair point Bert!

Given the final outcome, the batting on yesterday morning still seemed unnecessary but, ultimately, the result is the only thing that matters so I guess you could say they got it spot on :thumbup:

Interesting to see what happens from here. Disastrous tours are common place once it starts going wrong for a team, it'll be good to see how India respond from here. Really the only positive they have so far is Kohli finally getting two scores in the first test. That could have been so different too. I'm aware you have to bowl well too but the swing and conditions at Lords would make it very difficult for any touring team batting. Roll on the next test.

It was tongue in cheek more than anything. Nice to see us dominate just a bit of shame that it’s only really home tests at the moment. 

Off to Trent Bridge on Sunday so hoping for a full days play whilst getting a twat tan boozed up lol 

22 minutes ago, Bert said:

It was tongue in cheek more than anything. Nice to see us dominate just a bit of shame that it’s only really home tests at the moment. 

Off to Trent Bridge on Sunday so hoping for a full days play whilst getting a twat tan boozed up lol 

Yeah, I guessed it was tongue in cheek.

Off to Trent Bridge, Lucky you. Enjoy!

So same squad,no Stokes.

Great opportunity now for both the youngsters..Pope and Curran.

Another ground for the seamers,so Woakes,Broad and Anderson backed up with Curran.

Good training for the Indian Batsman.

Talking of batsman,time our top 3, thought of seeing that 100,before collapsing...