Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
hackenbacker

VAR yes or no ..... Discuss

9 minutes ago, oxford blue said:

It seems as if my concerns of yesterday have now been addressed!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48903289

If VAR is used as Mike Riley wishes, I am now more optimistic about its introduction

We need to get to a stage where the interpretation and use of VAR is the same across all competitions. It seems to me that FIFA have relinquished this control to the different Football Associations and even down to the leagues and competitions within those Associations.

For Mike Riley to be talking about the PL doing things differently, although seemingly a better interpretation is all wrong.

Participants in the game should not have to put up with all the different interpretations.

So VAR is going to be inconsistent.... isnt that what is was supposed to put an end to.

Lets just remove the ref and have the VAR make ALL decisions

Edited by ozleicester
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Yes. 

“They (England) should have been awarded five runs, not six," Taufel told Fox Sports.

“It’s a clear mistake … it’s an error of judgment.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/cricket/cricket-why-umpires-may-have-got-crucial-world-cup-final-call-wrong/567925a0-4c25-4d79-b39a-7e748cf2614a

Edited by ozleicester

24 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

“They (England) should have been awarded five runs, not six," Taufel told Fox Sports.

“It’s a clear mistake … it’s an error of judgment.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/cricket/cricket-why-umpires-may-have-got-crucial-world-cup-final-call-wrong/567925a0-4c25-4d79-b39a-7e748cf2614a

The article also quotes Giles saying Stokes could have smacked it out the ground on the next ball because he would have known he needed another run. 

3 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

The article also quotes Giles saying Stokes could have smacked it out the ground on the next ball because he would have known he needed another run. 

But thats all possible... the decision was still wrong!

AND....

Rashid wouldve been facing and not Stokes..so... :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have put this on this thread rather than on the PL one, but the disallowed goal because Sterling's shoulder was millimetres offside does prompt two more general questions. If there are anwers I'd like to know...

• Does the accuracy of the 'lines' the video referee see depend on camera position? I would have thought there has to be some distortion (a few millimetres?) unless the camera is not directly in line with the incident.
  • The offside rule refers to a ball being touched or played. When does this occur? Is it the moment first touches a player passing a ball, or the moment it leaves his foot? Only milliseconds, but enough to make a crucial decision where a player is moving forward at speed and is millimetres offside.

I had thought only obvious errors would be changed.  I think if there is an element of doubt (and I am not convinced there can be none in today's incident), the advantage should be with the attacking team.

10 minutes ago, oxford blue said:

I have put this on this thread rather than on the PL one, but the disallowed goal because Sterling's shoulder was millimetres offside does prompt two more general questions. If there are anwers I'd like to know...

• Does the accuracy of the 'lines' the video referee see depend on camera position? I would have thought there has to be some distortion (a few millimetres?) unless the camera is not directly in line with the incident.
  • The offside rule refers to a ball being touched or played. When does this occur? Is it the moment first touches a player passing a ball, or the moment it leaves his foot? Only milliseconds, but enough to make a crucial decision where a player is moving forward at speed and is millimetres offside.

I had thought only obvious errors would be changed.  I think if there is an element of doubt (and I am not convinced there can be none in today's incident), the advantage should be with the attacking team.

I think there should be a smal tolerance built in to compensate for slight errors, much like a speed camera.

It's still too subjective, look at the Spurs shout for the penalty near the end. Defender raises his hand, the ball hits it and deflects to the keeper. Even the Villa fan in the club was expecting the worst. Another time, that will be given.