Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
hackenbacker

VAR yes or no ..... Discuss

On 23/07/2018 at 17:05, dylanlegend said:

VAR is good but it can be better.

10 qualified guys sat in a room watching replays, if a majority (8+) agree (using buzzers or similar) then a decision should be overturned / made. They should tell the main 'ref' immediately.

They shouldnt make the ref go to a video screen that's crazy and puts far too much pressure on the ref to change things in front of 40,000plus

If a ref is considered capable of firstly taking any given game of 40,000plus,crying,shouting,booing,applauding

through 90mins+,...Then surely with VAR having a Chance to replay and see the Situation again,is surely not extra pressure. A ref has to referee,and whistle accordingly anyway!!!!!

var-helping-refs   is  not ,may not,ever be perfect.....but take this thought..

I believe,it gets those questions , % wise More right than wrong.It will always need to be tweeked,just

Like the base and Ground rules,that are updated regularly....

@kitchandro. ..with his last post is IMO,right when critiscising the result of the penalty desciscion,

it cruelly changed,the swing of the game.....but in the past even without VAR,how many top games have Been

Changed,by a poor.  (or great) refs descisions in the natural run of the game.....

I believe as mentioned, that VAR, will improve on the mistakes/ errors/ simply missed,

but we will always have those controversial moments,that follow or haunt us,but they will be

alot Less,and drive up the quality of VAR and on pitch descisions.

It could well also defeat,this Ludicrous penaltybox,

illegal ,immature, hustling,and pushing  behaviour descisions  From set pieces,that

Steams up all Fans...

Edited by fuchsntf

2 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Why make the ref go to the TV, if the FOUR referees in the box think its a decision, just tell the ref to do it.

If VAR is reliable, then there is no need to go to the pitch.

Why do you need four refs looking at all angles evidence when normally we expect one ref on the pitch to make a decision surely the more refs the more likely you'll get differing opinions and end up with a compromised view. 

Stick with one video ref making off-field decisions where the ref has missed clear cut stuff like off-side and blatant handball or diving or if the pitch ref requests VAR.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

World Cup ref chief Pierluigi Collina dishes on VAR impact at Russia 2018

excerpts from an interview with Pierluigi Collina, chairman of FIFA's referees committee

http://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/marcottis-musings/62/post/3596315/world-cup-referee-chief-pierluigi-collina-dishes-on-var-impact-at-russia-2018

Let's get to VAR. I get the impression that old-school referees, like the Collina of 20 years ago, might not have been in favor.

I want to be honest here: When you have a background like mine, as a referee who came of age in a certain period and enjoyed making decisions on the pitch on his own, [VAR] might not be easy to accept. But, equally, if the ability of a referee to officiate a game is going to be judged after the fact based on video replays from multiple angles, then referees should have those replays from multiple angles too. ... I said that a long time ago, and I still believe it. I know some people are philosophically opposed to VAR because they don't think technology has a place in football. I can respect that. But we must be open-minded and ready to implement what can be really useful and helpful.

Before VAR, you were involved in another key officiating change, that of additional assistant referees (AARs) at UEFA.

As I said before, because of my own background as a referee, I liked making decisions on my own. But then [UEFA president Michel] Platini asked me to help shape the change. A bit like VAR, it was an answer to a need: To reduce mistakes on the pitch. And the idea was that with two extra officials who watched the game from a different angle we could reduce -- not eliminate, but reduce -- mistakes on the pitch. It's still in use in UEFA competitions.

Yet in many ways, it has been supplanted by VAR.

Obviously, over the years things change. AARs improved things, but clearly it's not comparable to what VAR can offer today. Two extra sets of eyes can't match dozens of cameras with the possibility of freeze-framing, watching over again ... there's a substantial difference. Believe me, VAR is like a parachute, and it's better to have it when [you] need it.

For the past 18 months, you were doing double-duty: You were at FIFA and, at the same time, you were, until last month, UEFA's chief refereeing officer. It seemed weird to some that, while FIFA was pushing VAR, UEFA was opposed.

Some said I was schizophrenic for that very reason ... the reality is that they were two different contexts. Introducing VAR across UEFA competitions presents a different set of challenges compared to a World Cup. My successor at UEFA is Roberto Rosetti, who I brought in to drive the VAR implementation at the World Cup, and I think we're getting to the stage where the conditions are right for VAR in the Champions League and Europa League, too. ... Obviously, the decision will be made by UEFA, but if they choose to do it, they'll be ready.

You were on the International Football Association Board (IFAB) committee that helped lay down the VAR protocol. What were the early discussions like?

I remember at the very first meeting, I emphasized that the final say for any subjective decision that required interpretation had to be down to the referee on the pitch and not the VAR. I felt strongly about this, given my background. I didn't want the referee to be a mere executor, controlled by a joystick by someone outside the field of play.

Back to the World Cup. One of the frustrations with VAR is that sometimes it is not clear why it intervenes or does not intervene and, when it does, what is actually going on.

First of all, I want to emphasize that VAR is always watching. You only need to look at the number of "silent checks" [when VAR evaluates an incident and does not deem it worthy of an on-field review]. Beyond that, communication is important, and I think we took an important step in Russia with on-screen announcements, both in the stadium and for [TV] viewers. It's only right that people understand what is going on.

Often, however, they don't. I think back to the World Cup final and the penalty that was awarded to France after Ivan Perisic handled the ball. The penalty was awarded by the referee, Nestor Pitana, only after VAR called for an on-field review. I understand that it's down to interpretation, but it certainly did not look like a clear error.

I think those who watched it closely knew the referee could not have seen it since there were bodies in the way. And because he did not see it, VAR gave him the opportunity to review it. Then his interpretation was to give a penalty.

What other benefits do you think VAR brought at the World Cup? We saw fewer protests from players.

That's one, and I think it offsets those who say reviews delay the game. Players have been very accepting of VAR. But one other important aspect is deterrence. I don't think it's a coincidence that we had more set piece goals and fewer off-the-ball incidents. Knowing you are watched at all times means your attitude is going to be different.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11490710/premier-league-to-trial-var-this-season

Premier League to trial VAR this season
Last Updated: 05/09/18 11:06am

VAR is already in use in La Liga and other leagues around Europe

The Premier League will trial VAR at 15 matches this season – starting after the international break, Sky Sports News understands.

The Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) aim to prove the system is fit for purpose before presenting its findings to Premier League shareholders next year, with the aim of fully introducing it from next season.

The first trial will take place for five 3pm kick-offs on September 15 to see if the VAR hub at Stockley Park, near Heathrow, can cope with decisions arising from multiple matches.

VAR trials will take place on 15 Premier League matchdays

The 'as-live' match scenario will be replicated in the VAR hub but there will be no contact between the team at Stockley Park and the officials on the pitch.

Referees have been encouraged by the use of the technology at recent EFL Cup games. VAR is also due to be tested during selected FA Cup ties this season.

VAR has been used at recent EFL Cup games in England

Sky sources understand the Premier League are confident their decision to delay the introduction of the system until officials grew more familiar with it, has been vindicated.

They have mild concerns that VAR may have lost some support among fans after its use in the controversial award of the penalty which led to France's second goal against Croatia in this summer's World Cup final.

• 5 months later...

https://www.offthepost.info/blog/2019/02/uefa-cite-harry-maguire-example-bookable-offence/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+offthepost%2FTLAa+(Off+The+Post)

Uefa cite Harry Maguire as example of bookable offence

Leicester City defender Harry Maguire has been used by Uefa to illustrate an example of a new bookable offence.

Ahead of the introduction of VAR to next week’s Champions League knockout rounds, European football’s governing body has instructed referees that players should be shown a yellow card if they make a gesture of a TV screen in an attempt to force a VAR review.

Uefa’s chief refereeing officer Roberto Rosetti used a clip of Maguire from last summer’s World Cup second round tie to make his point. Following Wilmar Barrios’ headbutt on Jordan Henderson, Maguire faced towards the sidelines and drew an imaginary TV with his fingers.

Rosetti says players will be booked for similar actions in Champions League games.

According to the BBC, he said: “Where Maguire is standing making the square signal – that is a yellow card.

“We want action in these situations, we don’t want players interfering with referee on reviews.”

Although the TV gesture was already considered a bookable offence, it has so far not been enforced. Rosetti’s comments indicate that will now change.

38 minutes ago, davieG said:

https://www.offthepost.info/blog/2019/02/uefa-cite-harry-maguire-example-bookable-offence/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+offthepost%2FTLAa+(Off+The+Post)

Uefa cite Harry Maguire as example of bookable offence

Leicester City defender Harry Maguire has been used by Uefa to illustrate an example of a new bookable offence.

Ahead of the introduction of VAR to next week’s Champions League knockout rounds, European football’s governing body has instructed referees that players should be shown a yellow card if they make a gesture of a TV screen in an attempt to force a VAR review.

Uefa’s chief refereeing officer Roberto Rosetti used a clip of Maguire from last summer’s World Cup second round tie to make his point. Following Wilmar Barrios’ headbutt on Jordan Henderson, Maguire faced towards the sidelines and drew an imaginary TV with his fingers.

Rosetti says players will be booked for similar actions in Champions League games.

According to the BBC, he said: “Where Maguire is standing making the square signal – that is a yellow card.

“We want action in these situations, we don’t want players interfering with referee on reviews.”

Although the TV gesture was already considered a bookable offence, it has so far not been enforced. Rosetti’s comments indicate that will now change.

It still won't be enforced. Most "top" refs need to see someone decapitated before they pull out a yellow.

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

If anybody thinks VAR will result in less controversy they are sorely deluded.

MOTD next season will have to be three hours long...

:D

Goal of the month will have a rival in VAR of the month.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I’ve come to the conclusion now it should only be used for closed yes or no decisions. 

Its use on handballs has just led to different interpretations 

lol we need VAR on VAR

Just saw an illustration of what could really annoy people next season .....Lille had a goal ruled out by VAR this afternoon .... player stumbled onto his knees in the six yard box and the defender kicks the ball against his arm (which was in front of his body so not making his frame larger) ...... the ball finds its way back to the edge of the box where it is struck into the net ...... ref disallows after VAR review. 

whilst I think this should stand this season, under new rules next season it won’t. 

On 21/04/2019 at 09:09, Cardiff_Fox said:

I’ve come to the conclusion now it should only be used for closed yes or no decisions. 

Its use on handballs has just led to different interpretations 

Like goaline technology, on questions of fact VAR is fine. On questions of opinion, the ref can still favour the bigger club but take two minutes to do so.

• Like 1