Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
hackenbacker

VAR yes or no ..... Discuss

Before i start the discussion i would like to declare i am Australian :beer:

but that won't effect my opinion in the slightest

VAR yes or no

for me NO  it takes away some of the mystery, the controversy and beauty of the game

what next.... robots patrolling the touchline

• Like 1

In its current form no.

Two penalties awarded today for forwards being caught by trailing legs, which I think are soft decisions.

On the other hand there's wrestling and pushing in the box which goes unpunished.

Are we going to a non contact version of the game or not ? Going half and half doesn't work for me.

• Like 1

Think they’ve used it quite well so far. Argentina should’ve had another penalty which I found strange they didn’t check it

Unfortunately the standard of officiating nowadays has made this a necessity for the game

Edited by foxfanazer

1 minute ago, Livid said:

In its current form no.

Two penalties awarded today for forwards being caught by trailing legs, which I think are soft decisions.

On the other hand there's wrestling and pushing in the box which goes unpunished.

Are we going to a non contact version of the game or not ? Going half and half doesn't work for me.

That's not the technology though, it's the way the rules have been written tbf. 

I'm guessing that's what you mean by its current form. 

I'd personally have written the rule that benefit of the doubt is always with the defender for penalties and always with the attacker for offsides and if you can't make a decision from one or two half speed replays, it's close enough that you use benefit of the doubt and move on quickly. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

That's not the technology though, it's the way the rules have been written tbf. 

I'm guessing that's what you mean by its current form. 

I'd personally have written the rule that benefit of the doubt is always with the defender for penalties and always with the attacker for offsides and if you can't make a decision from one or two half speed replays, it's close enough that you use benefit of the doubt and move on quickly. 

Pretty much this. It's almost like there's a separate set of rules for incidents in the penalty area.

I don't have a problem with it being used for offside as they tend to be black and white decisions.

2 minutes ago, Livid said:

Pretty much this. It's almost like there's a separate set of rules for incidents in the penalty area.

I don't have a problem with it being used for offside as they tend to be black and white decisions.

My problem with giving benefit of the doubt to the attacker or slowing it down frame by frame by frame to find any tiny bit of contact as with the Griezmann decision is that it will benefit divers tbf. 

I would say in international tournaments, yes. But in the league no. 

Theres always going to be a loophole because it's going to boil down to an opinion unless it's so clear and obvious. 

It was used perfectly in this game but no so in the France game as on here you had lots saying penalty and lots saying not. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I personally think football moves too quickly and managers don't have good enough views for a challenge system to really be effective tbf. 

:blink: You could stretch that to argue to get rid of all on pitch officials. Strange choice for a hill to die on if those are your objections there are better ones to the challenge system out there

• Like 1

Just now, Sharpe's Fox said:

:blink: You could stretch that to argue to get rid of all on pitch officials. Strange choice for a hill to die on if those are your objections there are better ones to the challenge system out there

Don't particularly agree to be fair. 

The referee should, in theory, always have a good view. Or a close enough one, he can move around the pitch in play. 

The manager is static on the sidelines and you're giving him a limited number (I assume, given that's how every challenge system works) of times to say he wants something watched again when he doesn't have an ideal view to have decided in the first place. 

He's also got to make that decision in the blink of an eye before play moves on, again, from a disadvantaged position. 

Where as a video assistant referee is sat in a control room constantly watching the game from tens of angles at once in real time, half time, super slow time, you name it. 

It has it's benefits but don't expect 100% agreement on all reviews as they'll still be lots of arguments over the decisions. 

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

Don't particularly agree to be fair. 

The referee should, in theory, always have a good view. Or a close enough one, he can move around the pitch in play. 

The manager is static on the sidelines and you're giving him a limited number (I assume, given that's how every challenge system works) of times to say he wants something watched again when he doesn't have an ideal view to have decided in the first place. 

He's also got to make that decision in the blink of an eye before play moves on, again, from a disadvantaged position. 

Where as a video assistant referee is sat in a control room constantly watching the game from tens of angles at once in real time, half time, super slow time, you name it. 

Why would he have to make it in the blink of an eye? The current system doesn’t. The manager has a view of the decision as he sees it like everyone else and will almost certainly go straight to 4th official with a challenge, they do that now but the 4th official ignores them. Whether they have a good view or not is irrelevant, a match official is making the decision and if they lose the challenge they lose the right to do so again. 

I don't get it.... Surely someone should be watching a screen at all times? In the Iceland game there should have been another pen to Argentina but the ref gave a dive and that was it. It wasn't reviewed but, in my opinion, it should have been. For me, someone should watch the game on a tv and just say "yep that's a pen give it".

But it's all opinions isn't it. I mean, ref A might be monitoring VAR and he thinks it's a pen but ref B wouldn't have given it.

The one thing I worry is slowing the game down as it takes ages to make a decision. I've been in absolute away ends where we've scored late winners and I wouldn't want that to die because we're waiting for a decision.