Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
hackenbacker

VAR yes or no ..... Discuss

Based on tonight's penalty incident in the Nigeria - Argentina match, my fear is that such soft decisions will lower the standard and become the new general rule.

VAR has mostly been used for the better of the game, and I do hope FIFA learn their lessons in terms of implementation and application. There needs to be a better balance in the future.

VAR has been criticized for taking away that spontaneous moment of joy when a goal goes in. I kind of agree, but on the other hand it might give rise to new ways to celebrate a goal. Really liked that moment when all the Koreans were on the half way line waiting for the verdict, and then all rushed to the bench when the goal was confirmed.

image.png

• Like 2

Has certainly added something to the game and a number of "missed" decisions have been called. 

But, (and i accept its here to stay), it has fundamentally changed the way the game is played....

There are incessant whiny footballers performing charades .."TV show...3 letters... first letter V"

Then there are the patches of the game where play goes on, but everyone including the payers are waiting for a review.

Then there are the officials not making a decision as they know they can go back later and review.

and at the end of it all, errors are still made.

Harry Maguire had an excellent game last night and he was a strong contender for MOTM.

However, the sight of him, as @ozleicester says,  "playing charades" by drawing the TV in the air is definitely not a good look.

Yes, he thought a teammate had been head butted, but many of us have said in here that calling for VAR should be an insta-booking.

Drawing the air TV, much like waving the imaginary yellow card, is poisonous to the ref's authority.

Maguire shouldn't have done it.

No other England players, no matter how wronged they feel, should be doing it.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, filbertway said:

In the main its been well used and can only improve. I find it unbelievable that anyone can be against it after seeing it at this world cup.

Why would you find it unbelievable?

It was supposed to eliminate errors. It hasn't.

1 hour ago, Vacamion said:

Harry Maguire had an excellent game last night and he was a strong contender for MOTM.

However, the sight of him, as @ozleicester says,  "playing charades" by drawing the TV in the air is definitely not a good look.

Yes, he thought a teammate had been head butted, but many of us have said in here that calling for VAR should be an insta-booking.

Drawing the air TV, much like waving the imaginary yellow card, is poisonous to the ref's authority.

Maguire shouldn't have done it.

No other England players, no matter how wronged they feel, should be doing it.

I believe only the captain should be able to speak to the referee, anyone else doing so or waving imaginary cards and VAR signals should receive an instant booking.

He lost control of the game early on, and the players took advantage, how Colombia haven't been charged with failing to control their players and coaching staff is beyond me.

As much as I'm not a fan of Rugby, football could learn alot from how the ensure the referee is respect and how they use video to assist the referee as well.

Who is he signalling too anyway? He definitely shouldn’t be doing it but managers and players are going to do it. 

At least VAR might put an end to the grappling in he box. Attackers will be quick to make they sure fall over in the box or force a foul though.

3 hours ago, Milo said:

Why would you find it unbelievable?

It was supposed to eliminate errors. It hasn't.

at the end,we can add it all up..lets then see if it has more positives than negatives.

It adds to the excitement

,while its just at the beginning, I havent seen anything that is more  farcical,than without.

in fact the lack of its use,and incidents and descisions taken,by refusing to use it has been more negative and farcical.!!!

Var should be used also after the match,with weak reffs, and for example  Columbia FA,should recieve a heavy fine,with 4-5 players

and manager and coaches receiving 3-5 Int.tournament game bans,and fines.

FIFA and lnt.FAs need to get a grip,of such acts of on/off field tactics,and shame the culprits. Ditto for 2  German officials.

in such incidents and issues like in the Columbian game,the Ref,should walk off away from the players,into a var designated area,

giving him protection,any player  or manager that attempts to follow him,should be shown RED. Becuase the action of the reff needing to

avert to such action/direction shows already the guilty players have gone too far.

The USA-ref was warded no protection in a world cup match!!!!

players because of their aggression and petulance in all matches sofar towards the ref,have wasted more time than VAR-would ever do.

FIFA must now get strong,and refs must be more demanding to fifa and their national organisations.

The players have shown total lack of respect and disambandenment towards game/Ref/oppo and the fans.

The guy who equalised should never have been on the pitch....There have also been other incidents in other games

more than 3 players surrounding a ref ,should institute an automatic booking. not retiring...ten yards (like rugby),if that ten yards encroaches

then the  penalty box..then penalty should be given. It was attempted sometime ago,but weak authorities were the problem,and bribes...

Managers must also take responsibility,and fair play rankings should play a part in major tournaments.

On 28/06/2018 at 15:58, Super_horns said:

I wonder how long it will be before a manager in the Premier league/football league complain that VAR isn't in place next season?

Man U don't get a penalty for example that should be and Jose will be in full rant mode!

And then when it is brought it the same managers will moan about it...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Who is he signalling too anyway? He definitely shouldn’t be doing it but managers and players are going to do it. 

At least VAR might put an end to the grappling in he box. Attackers will be quick to make they sure fall over in the box or force a foul though.

this is probably the only issue i have with VAR. it encourages “going down easily”. think it was keown (might’ve been someone else) who was co-comming a game the other day where a striker stayed on his feet when there was very minimal contact and he said “he’s got to go down there and at least make sure the ref has to VAR it” or something. which is what the plan’s going to be from now on, surely. 

The worst part about VAR is people not being able to grasp the very simple concept that everything is being watched and checked. I'm sure the million blokes in the VAR room aren't sitting around playing poker waiting for the camera to pan in on some idiot playing charades.

12 minutes ago, filbertway said:

The worst part about VAR is people not being able to grasp the very simple concept that everything is being watched and checked. I'm sure the million blokes in the VAR room aren't sitting around playing poker waiting for the camera to pan in on some idiot playing charades.

The worst part is that even though everything is being watched some of the most obvious stuff is not being called for or at least not being reviewed by the ref when it is.

I also do not see the point of the match ref going over to look at a screen which seems to only show one of the many views that have been studied.

It seems to me that if a panel of 4 refs looking at multiply views of an incident deem it to be a foul or not why does it even need the match ref to confirm it.

There have also been incidents where goal kicks/corners have been given when they are clearly wrong why can't the VAR refs correct these it would only take a matter of seconds?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

this is probably the only issue i have with VAR. it encourages “going down easily”. think it was keown (might’ve been someone else) who was co-comming a game the other day where a striker stayed on his feet when there was very minimal contact and he said “he’s got to go down there and at least make sure the ref has to VAR it” or something. which is what the plan’s going to be from now on, surely. 

Co-commentators being idiots who don't understand the system isn't an argument against it, if it were we should have scrapped goal line technology after this:

The ref doesn't decide whether to VAR something, VAR review it as a matter of routine then call down if they think there's something the ref might want to see again.

12 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Co-commentators being idiots who don't understand the system isn't an argument against it, if it were we should have scrapped goal line technology after this:

The ref doesn't decide whether to VAR something, VAR review it as a matter of routine then call down if they think there's something the ref might want to see again.

Which they're not doing consistently so we're seeing similar problems to when we just had the ref. They need to go the whole hog with VAR at the moment it seems to be a case of minimal interference/involvement.

51 minutes ago, davieG said:

The worst part is that even though everything is being watched some of the most obvious stuff is not being called for or at least not being reviewed by the ref when it is.

I also do not see the point of the match ref going over to look at a screen which seems to only show one of the many views that have been studied.

It seems to me that if a panel of 4 refs looking at multiply views of an incident deem it to be a foul or not why does it even need the match ref to confirm it.

There have also been incidents where goal kicks/corners have been given when they are clearly wrong why can't the VAR refs correct these it would only take a matter of seconds?

I agree on both of those points to be fair. Corners and goal kicks are so easy to check 99.999% of the time. Perfect thing for it to be used for. Especially when millions of pounds are probably wagered on corners in some form or other, it'd be good to make sure they got the decisions correct.

14 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

Yep plus the descent. Players are exaggerating contact to get it reviewed. Then when slowed down it looks worst than going quick. It doesn’t allow the tolerance that football is played at lightening pace and the slightest of contact can cause something. 

Guest seanfox778

It’s a good tactic, remember when Mia Wallace and Vincent Vega won the twist contest in ‘94? It was a tight call but Mia requested the VAR who confirmed their win.

B9E10659-950D-4CE4-B70D-E1F3EB2C3F60.gif

Would've been very annoyed if the referee awarded Brazil a penalty, when Neymar was very softly "pushed" in the back in the second half.

Shame VAR can't be used to book players for diving etc, in order to stop this type of play-acting from happening.