Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gwyn

Time for a Puel in thread.

Just now, LestaAl said:

Until we get a run of points won ...

it remains  Puel Out.

...everything else is just noise

It's. one. game. With a squad that is actually his and geared towards the way he wants us to evolve.  Far too early to make that call

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Always Next Year said:

Puel out , took off our best player and MOTM  left Silva on, fcuked up the subs yet again.

If he plays Morgan again he needs to go.

18 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

When we have a fully fit squad to pick from, if Puel decides again to start a game away from home with both Morgan and Amartey in the line up, I’ll not forgive him.

Morgan is a City legend but is now a spent force at this level. Amartey is a championship player, at best.

We must sort our defence out.

I can't argue with that.

I was so annoyed he persisted last season (There was a more than adequate replacement last season FFS!), he's done it again now and I really can't see anything changing, I really does have a feel of 'In Morgan Puel Trusts'.

It's almost as if it's a case of Morgan is club captain, he is the first name on the team sheet.

Edited by Matt

2 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

Are you starting an out of shape, knackered Evans? A guy whose been here for one day? Johnson? Benny?!

Tbh for me and I know alot of people are gonna disagree but Benalouane is a better defender than Morgan is now (That probably says alot more about Morgan than it does Benalouane but it's my opinion), the only worry about Benalouane is there is always the threat of a red card when he's on the pitch.

Again i'm going to have to say it, the fact those are the options you have to ask questions of previous transfer windows and how the club has been ran with recruitment, vision, and the short sightedness.

Edited by Matt

I wanted him gone at the end of last season but I'm very firmly behind the guy now. We are a work in progress and we have a team full of young players and players approaching their prime that really needs the chance to develop and grow. Part of that is having a way to play and an 'identity'. It's no good chopping and changing, never giving a manager the chance to build his squad and instill his way of playing. I don't think he wanted to see the turgid sideways football we served up last year and we can see already in pre season and tonight that he wants us to play with far purpose than that. I do back him, with his track record of trusting youth, to build something here. We'll be frustratingly poor at times this season and we'll probably be very good at other times but it's all a work in progress and still needs a couple of signings. 

See him in his interviews, he looks far happier and more engaged. 

Edited by Kopfkino
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

I can't argue with that.

I was so annoyed he persisted last season (There was a more than adequate replacement last season FFS!), he's done it again now and I really can't see anything changing, I really does have a feel of 'In Morgan Puel Trusts'.

It's almost as if it's a case of Morgan is club captain, he is the first name on the team sheet.

It's almost as if our first choice centre back is injured and the other two new signings have had about 17 minutes training and the only other option is Benny.  X

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Matt said:

I can't argue with that.

I think that's a bit unfair tbh. Would have been a risk playing two not fully fit centre backs in my opinion so he didn't have much option. Better to do it this way than lose Evans for longer by taking the risk. I think it showed that most of our better players tonight, and probably theirs, were players that had a full pre-season and were fully fit. It'd be fair criticism if after the international break he is still starting with Evans, Maguire and the Turkish guy fit and up to speed. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

Tbh for me and I know alot of people are gonna disagree but Benalouane is a better defender than Morgan is now (That probably says alot more about Morgan than it does Benalouane but it's my opinion), the only worry about Benalouane is there is always the threat of a red card when he's on the pitch.

Again i'm going to have to say it, the fact those are the options you have to ask questions of previous transfer windows and how the club has been ran with recruitment, vision, and the short sightedness.

So...the question is on the club and not on Puel. Puel bought two CBs. 

16 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

Are you starting an out of shape, knackered Evans? A guy whose been here for one day? Johnson? Benny?!

Post of the day.

Said elsewhere, that will not be our defensive line in a game or two. That was make-do and hopefully we won't need to resort to it again.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

Puel is doing what a lot of our fans (me included) wanted us to do. Break up the declining old guard, become comfortable with a different style of football and make a lot of young signings with the potential to build something. All well and good but you need a modicum of end product as well. It's still finely poised because he's only a few more losses on the spin from a backlash and likely the sack.

I'm unsure the loss of Mahrez will be ignored, you can just see the void becoming groundhog day but I'm incredibly excited at what this lot " could " do. I'm prepared to give Puel a bit more time, we've got the nucleus of an intriguing squad.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Puel is doing what a lot of our fans (me included) wanted us to do. Break up the declining old guard, become comfortable with a different style of football and make a lot of young signings with the potential to build something. All well and good but you need a modicum of end product as well. It's still finely poised because he's only a few more losses on the spin from a backlash and likely the sack.

I'm unsure the loss of Mahrez will be ignored, you can just see the void becoming groundhog day but I'm incredibly excited at what this lot " could " do. I'm prepared to give Puel a bit more time, we've got the nucleus of an intriguing squad.

I'm prepared to give him a lot of time, cos that's what it'll take.

So long as we're not drawn into a relegation battle, I think the owners will take a long term view.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I'm prepared to give him a lot of time, cos that's what it'll take.

So long as we're not drawn into a relegation battle, I think the owners will take a long term view.

I hope so but he has to get a string of results as there's a lot of folk against him, rightly or wrongly. Changing football teams who had a rare bit of success is a thankless task.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kasey Keller said:

Still think he looks a worried man he looks like he’s been told by Top, top 8 by Xmas or ta-ta.

IF. He's has been told that its piss poor from the owners. To set a season target yes bit set a by Xmas or your out target is putting him under needless pressure.

6 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Despite the result I was really impressed today. Just in case you didn’t realise, you just saw Leicester City (yes Leicester) dominate the game away at Old Trafford against a team that has the most expensive central midfielder (and World Cup winner) of all time and world class players in every position and who brought a 75m striker off the bench. More shots, more corners, more possession. It just happened in front of your eyes. 

I thought he should have left after the 5-0 palace defeat but this was the best I’ve seen us play as a *team* since he’s been here (not performance but team shape and structure). It’s not there yet but it’s literally an evolution of the team we saw last year. We had possession but now fullbacks are bombing on, the 10 is running the game and we control the match. All this despite basically throwing who we had available together to form a side given the World Cup and injuries. 

Many times last season I was confused with what Puel’s vision for the finished article would be. I thought it would be like the French World Cup team or even Man United tonight where you use possession to defend by making sure the other team doesn’t have it. But that’s not the system at all! It’s a double pivot in midfield to maintain structure whilst we create 2v1 overloads on each flank with fullbacks that cross with their natural foot and inverted wingers / forwards who can cut in to offer additional attacking threat. The 10 is there to dictate the game in classic Zidane / Platini / Totti style and the 9 stretches the back 4 (and specifically the CBs) to make space for everyone. The forwards run a high press to force the opposition to kick it long and our CBs need to be good on the ball so that when this happens we build an attack rather than giving away the ball and losing control. IF everyone does their job then as a team everything goes up several levels and we click. Tonight look at the play between Demari Gray, Ben Chilwell and James Maddison for evidence of this system in action. They were all good and how exciting is it that three English players all under the age of 23 are playing like that? If that doesn’t get you excited then nothing will!

I’m not proclaiming Puel as some kind of messiah nor do I necessarily think he is the answer, but now I understand why he is so highly rated in France. Look at the way he got essentially a bunch of kids to play together tonight... that is extremely impressive and it’s going to benefit not just Leicester but the national team too. These players value will skyrocket and eventually (let’s say 5+ years) we will start generating academy players that will seamlessly fit into the team and system creating a Southampton / Monaco / Dortmund “conveyer belt” setup that will leave the club setup for years.

After writing all this he’ll now get the chop after 10 games (!) but if it does work out then it’s brilliant news for the club, the players, the fans and even Leicester as a city. Our owners have earned my trust and appreciation over the years and I believe I’m seeing the beginnings of a very well thought out strategy being executed in front of our eyes. I’ll see you all at the Santiago Bernebau for the Champions League semi final versus Real Madrid in 5 years time :scarf:.

Excellent post. 

8 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Despite the result I was really impressed today. Just in case you didn’t realise, you just saw Leicester City (yes Leicester) dominate the game away at Old Trafford against a team that has the most expensive central midfielder (and World Cup winner) of all time and world class players in every position and who brought a 75m striker off the bench. More shots, more corners, more possession. It just happened in front of your eyes. 

I thought he should have left after the 5-0 palace defeat but this was the best I’ve seen us play as a *team* since he’s been here (not performance but team shape and structure). It’s not there yet but it’s literally an evolution of the team we saw last year. We had possession but now fullbacks are bombing on, the 10 is running the game and we control the match. All this despite basically throwing who we had available together to form a side given the World Cup and injuries. 

Many times last season I was confused with what Puel’s vision for the finished article would be. I thought it would be like the French World Cup team or even Man United tonight where you use possession to defend by making sure the other team doesn’t have it. But that’s not the system at all! It’s a double pivot in midfield to maintain structure whilst we create 2v1 overloads on each flank with fullbacks that cross with their natural foot and inverted wingers / forwards who can cut in to offer additional attacking threat. The 10 is there to dictate the game in classic Zidane / Platini / Totti style and the 9 stretches the back 4 (and specifically the CBs) to make space for everyone. The forwards run a high press to force the opposition to kick it long and our CBs need to be good on the ball so that when this happens we build an attack rather than giving away the ball and losing control. IF everyone does their job then as a team everything goes up several levels and we click. Tonight look at the play between Demari Gray, Ben Chilwell and James Maddison for evidence of this system in action. They were all good and how exciting is it that three English players all under the age of 23 are playing like that? If that doesn’t get you excited then nothing will!

I’m not proclaiming Puel as some kind of messiah nor do I necessarily think he is the answer, but now I understand why he is so highly rated in France. Look at the way he got essentially a bunch of kids to play together tonight... that is extremely impressive and it’s going to benefit not just Leicester but the national team too. These players value will skyrocket and eventually (let’s say 5+ years) we will start generating academy players that will seamlessly fit into the team and system creating a Southampton / Monaco / Dortmund “conveyer belt” setup that will leave the club setup for years.

After writing all this he’ll now get the chop after 10 games (!) but if it does work out then it’s brilliant news for the club, the players, the fans and even Leicester as a city. Our owners have earned my trust and appreciation over the years and I believe I’m seeing the beginnings of a very well thought out strategy being executed in front of our eyes. I’ll see you all at the Santiago Bernebau for the Champions League semi final versus Real Madrid in 5 years time :scarf:.

:appl:

• Like 1

I really really hope that it works out for him here. I saw a clear vision of where he wants to take this team tonight and he seems very determined to bring the average age of the team down. If it clicks I think we'll be much better off in the long run. It is a big if though. 

Edited by BenTheFox

15 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

His body language was strange tonight, maybe he just cares a lot but he looked like a man who had a lot on the line.

Puel ****ing in though all the way 

He's actually been like that a lot, I think people have just tended to notice his bland pressers. Quite demanding on the touchline, I guess he's targeted a certain amount of points for our start and could see we clearly deserved something tonight.

• Like 1