Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
truebluethroughandthrough

Spurs new stadium has spursy - Delayed

The vast majority of your week in, week out attendees are going to be there to watch football six pints in with your mates, though. For all the ludicrous cost at Arsenal, the ground is still mostly full of salt of the earth Gooners. 

65'000 millionaires aren't just going to start rocking up as Tottenham season ticket holders. 

And plenty of stadiums in Europe are UEFA 4* hosting all manner of special events without that level of luxury, including numerous already in this country. Even the Emirates isn't this level of decadent luxury and unsurprisingly cost half as much, probably less than. 

Obviously some very brilliant business minds have put the plan together and I'm sure they've done the numbers. Just doesn't make sense to me though. 

Refuse to believe you couldn't have gotten the same end result with much less spend. 

Edited by Finnegan

7 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

maybe not limitless but there's tens of thousands on the waiting list to get season tickets at Spurs and you have to pay every year just to remain on the waiting list!

Must be a lot of suckers out there!

there must be -especially if they're actually  hoping to see them win something 

46 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It does look incredible but the photos of the interiors and the facilities, bars etc, do make me raise a brow. 

It cost a ****ing billion, it's late, its over budget and its full of hipster bars and art deco fittings and what the **** else and just WHY? It's a football ground not a shopping centre. 

You don't need any of that and it's not like they're Man City with limitless resources or Man Utd with limitless fans. 

You're going to make the same amount selling pies and piss weak tea and beer to the average football fan whatever quality your kiosks are built to, its just decadent pissing money away. 

They're going to be a skint selling club for a decade playing in the prettiest stadium in the Europa League. I don't get it. 

Surely it could have been the same size, with the same seat layout (does look great inside, steep, nice) and even the clever hidden NFL pitch and still cost about a third of the price if they didn't tart about making every inch of the interior look like a wanky Camden bar? 

Whilst I agree that some of it is over the top, I couldn't disagree more about the bars- I'm absolutely sick of having one shite beer to choose from at the City, the catering is long overdue an upgrade.

10 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

Whilst I agree that some of it is over the top, I couldn't disagree more about the bars- I'm absolutely sick of having one shite beer to choose from at the City, the catering is long overdue an upgrade.

Yeah but you don't actually care what the bar looks like, do you? It could be made entirely out of MDF and chip board as long as you get given a passable beer at a realistic price by a server that took less than half an hour to pour it and count your change. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

You could serve multiple decent beers and upgrade the kiosks as a whole for significantly less than Spurs have splurged on it though. Big difference between a nice looking, good quality kiosk and, as Finnegan put, the ludicrous hipster bars Spurs have implemented.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah but you don't actually care what the bar looks like, do you? It could be made entirely out of MDF and chip board as long as you get given a passable beer at a realistic price by a server that took less than half an hour to pour it and count your change. 

Ah, missed the part about selling the same regardless of kiosk quality.

I agree with you there, it's massively over the top. The point stands about our catering options though- theirs put ours to shame.

Just now, Ted Maul said:

I agree with you there, it's massively over the top. The point stands about our catering options though- theirs put ours to shame.

Oh yeah, their everything puts ours to shame. On the surface of it, I'm massively jealous, it's a wonderful looking space both in the seats and under the stands. 

Absolutely not knocking that at all and in the extremely, extremely long term, once its paid off, I agree with AKCJ it'll be a hell of an asset that can only grow them as a club. 

I just think the short term and mid term pain could have been majorly mitigated by reigning in the excess and probably achieving the same outcome.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

And plenty of stadiums in Europe are UEFA 4* hosting all manner of special events without that level of luxury, including numerous already in this country. Even the Emirates isn't this level of decadent luxury and unsurprisingly cost half as much, probably less than. 

Struggling to think the last time there was an UEFA event in England (excepting Wembley) since Old Trafford holding the Champions League. The UEFA saps love London because the availability of top hotels. I reckon they will have the Europa League Final there in next five years. The i Paper suggested they are ambitiously targeting the Super Bowl. I can see what Spurs are trying to do but it doesn't really fit with the culture of football fans, yeah agreed. 

44 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I actually disagree. I appreciate that no two people are the same but I prefer to spend a bit extra to have a nice pint of beer in a nice environment.

Oakham is my home town, much rather have a £4.80 pint in The Lord Nelson than a £2 pint of the same stuff in Wetherspoons.

Obviously it doesn't stop me buying a pint at City games in the dingy, poorly lit and generally unfriendly concourse but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see it massively improved. I'd absolutely love it if we spent Spurs money on improving the matchday experience in that regard. Would make me think twice about getting beers in town rather than having beers at the ground.

Edited by AKCJ
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

Very true. My hope is that we see some development alongside the extension work with additional training for staff. The state of our catering is about fit for League One.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I actually disagree. I appreciate that no two people are the same but I prefer to spend a bit extra to have a nice pint of beer in a nice environment.

Oakham is my home town, much rather have a £4.80 pint in The Lord Nelson than a £2 pint of the same stuff in Wetherspoons.

Obviously it doesn't stop me buying a pint at City games in the dingy, poorly lit and generally unfriendly concourse but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see it massively improved. I'd absolutely love it if we spent Spurs money on improving the matchday experience in that regard. Would make me think twice about getting beers in town rather than having beers at the ground.

To be fair you only have to spend a fragment of Spurs' cost to improve the quality of our concourses exponentially, which was Finnegan's original point (I appreciate it deviated to quality of the kiosk which I agree with). 

A few million could make our concourses a decent experience, which is copper & shrapnel in comparison to Spurs.

A pint of lager at the new Spurs stadium is £ 4.50 - which is pretty good by London standards, and cheaper than our ground too

Would be nice to be able to drink a pint in slightly nicer environment than our draughty, dreary concourses. I'm not saying we should spend a fortune but a little bit of luxury might encourage people to stay longer and spend more.

• Like 2

Just now, Finnaldo said:

To be fair you only have to spend a fragment of Spurs' cost to improve the quality of our concourses exponentially, which was Finnegan's original point (I appreciate it deviated to quality of the kiosk which I agree with). 

A few million could make our concourses a decent experience, which is copper & shrapnel in comparison to Spurs.

Yeah but that's because we've already got the infrastructure. Spurs had to build the whole stadium from scratch whereas we've already got that.

Most of what people have seen is in the posh areas of the Spurs stadium. I think it would surprise people if they saw the posh bars at the KP.

I can't believe how much being able to drink a pint of something at the football that doesn't make me grimace if I take a big swig seems like such an abstract concept.

It's so infuriating that our catering is basically as poor as it was 10 years ago (and it was dreadful then too) when there has been such a cultural boom with food & drink in this country.

8 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

A pint of lager at the new Spurs stadium is £ 4.50 - which is pretty good by London standards, and cheaper than our ground too

Would be nice to be able to drink a pint in slightly nicer environment than our draughty, dreary concourses. I'm not saying we should spend a fortune but a little bit of luxury might encourage people to stay longer and spend more.

In Tottenham, it will be the best place to drink! :D

Selling at that price because it's going to be brewed on site - Beavertown/Heineken are one 

2 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

I can't believe how much being able to drink a pint of something at the football that doesn't make me grimace if I take a big swig seems like such an abstract concept.

It's so infuriating that our catering is basically as poor as it was 10 years ago (and it was dreadful then too) when there has been such a cultural boom with food & drink in this country.

Find it baffling given the boom in 'street food events' that football clubs aren't inviting caterers to their stadiums - all equipment provided by the caterers, made off site and then arrive with as simple set up as possible. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Find it baffling given the boom in 'street food events' that football clubs aren't inviting caterers to their stadiums - all equipment provided by the caterers, made off site and then arrive with as simple set up as possible. 

It's mental. Even the food stands outside stadiums are usually still burger vans straight out of the 90s.

8 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

3 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Think it's a good idea to have different types of food and drink kiosks it will probably add to the match day experience instead of everyone pulling in an hour before kickoff to drink a shitty pisswater pint looking at concrete walls etc 

I think this is in the pipeline. I believe we signed a 10 year deal with Compass for our catering. 

Many clubs now are subbing individual kiosks to separate caterers to increase competition which in turn drives up quality and price down.

You'd hope that at the end of the 10 year deal (which must be fairly soon) we'll see a change.

Me and my mates would be happy to drink in the concourses before home games if the beer was decent and cheap, it's neither. Almost guaranteed the atmosphere would be better if it was £3.50 a pint for even standard lager selections, Amstel, Kronenbourg, Carling etc.

The club refuse to listen on local stuff as well, I'd love to have a pint of Sunchaser and pork pie at the ground but the club are more interested in "global ______ partner", football clubs should be first and foremost a bastion of local culture.

• Like 2

The bars, including The White Hart, The Dispensary and The Goal Line (at 65 metres, it’s the longest bar in Europe), will be serving gallons of booze, including craft beers from Beavertown, an onsite microbrewery. 

Taps will fill plastic glasses from the bottom up, technology which will enable staff to pour about 10,000 pints a minute around the ground — a million over the whole match.

A million beers per match  :blink:   At a fiver each.  I just figured out how Levy plans to pay off the stadium debt.

A dozen each, sweep 'em out the ground and lock the gates.

NewWHLFans.JPG.487f9a379deb893ebe189aac8b272e10.JPG

No wonder he's all over city government to spend more on policing and cleanup around WHL.