Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

The run in

6 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

This is true but I’d also say that by giving young players a chance we are making the most of the poor league, which I think is a clever strategy.

Everton have changed managers 4 times in 5 years, spent a ton of money and are below us. We are building a team that is improving all the time. Chilwell is England's first choice left back and Harvey Barnes today in just his second ever start was probably man of the match.

Right now, they're not. One point ahead in the standings. :whistle:

In order to match last season's point total, we'd need another 15 points. That's about four more wins and three draws, or five wins in between a vast majority of losses.

Looks realistic to me, given our season so far.

The only question is and this is where I have my doubts - when will we be able to string a couple of consecutive results together?

When will we win again? And that at home in particular?

At present, we don't look anything like an improved side over last season's. In fact, in certain areas we seem to have regressed, mainly going forward and with regards to our style of play, we come across as rigid and one-dimensional.

Certain players have also seemingly hit the peak of their potential.

All in all, I wonder what the club‘s goals are/were for the season... Just hit a certain amount of points, then let it slide regardless of the results, and only emphasize the inclusion of as many youngsters as possible?

Has this season been written off in December already?

Where‘s the ambition?

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Tuna said:

Spurs A - Draw

Crystal Palace H - Loss

Brighton H - Win

Watford A - Loss

Fulham H - I swear to ****ing god if we drop points in this. Win

Burnley A - Draw

Bournemouth H - Loss

Huddersfield A - Win

Newcastle H - Draw

West Ham A - Loss

Arsenal H - Draw

Man City A - Loss

Chelsea H - Loss

Thoughts...?

Leaves us with 12-9-17, only 45 points. That's actually an incredibly negative prediction from me but are those results that outrageous? I can see this being a pretty shoddy second half of the season in all honesty.

I want to think the Tielemans signing will help things somewhat but there are a lot of games there we usually struggle in, and we're in hideous form really (Since Fulham away, it's 3-2-6 which is awful). If it wasn't for those Chelsea & Man City wins we'd be right in the relegation discussion.

Edited by Dan LCFC

Posted this before yesterday’s game in another thread.

22 hours ago, Matt said:

It wouldn't surprise me to go unbeaten over the next two game, maybe even win one or both, unbeaten during a period of Liverpool, Man Utd and Tottenham, would be very good, add Chelsea and Man City in from earlier in the season, fair play.

After the Tottenham game we have a favourable run of fixtures, we arguably should be going through a winning-run with those upcoming fixtures, now there's no easy games yada, yada, yada, but based on past evidence of showings against the teams we should be expecting to get something from we struggle during those periods. It remains to be seen and let's not write them off yet, but this will be his 3rd crack at 'favourable' fixtures (I'd say? After January last season, earlier this season, and the upcoming one).

Those favourable fixtures run until the last game 3 games, where based on whats gone before we might pick up again against Arsenal, Man City and Chelsea.

Edited by Matt

8 hours ago, TK95 said:

It's a bizarre one. Let's say we do manage to finish in the top half, say 9th/10th...have we actually made progress on last season?

Football went stale last season as well and we fell well behind Burnley in the Europa league chase. But picked up a bit of form towards the end.

We've now offloaded a few and are bringing in youth. Having Chilwell, Maddison, Barnes, Choudhury etc in and around the first team can only be a good thing. 

But if we aren't making progress on our standing on the football front and not getting the best out of these players, are we going forwards or is it a false pretence?

Having some of the bigger teams towards the end could be a good thing for us looking at the points we've picked up. But I'm worried between Palace and West Ham lol

Someone else has already made a good reply to this.

The only thing I can add, position wise, yes, we may not finish in a better position than last year and very likely have less points. The positives though are that we have bolstered our defence and we still have two young defenders to integrate into the team next season (one impressing on loan currently). We have a very young squad and unless those players are garbage, will come good with time.

In regards to this summer, if Puel is let go then we should be replacing him with someone who believes in the young players and gives them time. Otherwise all those impressive young players will be pushed aside for the new man's favourites that he may bring in or play. I still think that even though Puel's football is not entertaining currently, there are signs that it could work if all 11 players believe in it and can put in good performances (individually) on a regular basis. It's all fine margins right now between losing, drawing and winning. There are lots of positives even if the games are not enjoyable currently. Just ask Watford, West Ham or Everton fans how they feel? I don't think they will be much different to us and they don't seem to have that much young talent in their ranks that could be the future of their clubs.

Personally, I would like to see Puel get next season as well and as long as we are not continually in a slump like we have seen patches this and last season, let him see it out. As I said above, if we do replace him then I want to see a manager with similar ideas and ambition to build this team properly, not a manager of Benitez calibre.

Spurs A - Loss

Crystal Palace H - Win

Brighton H - Draw

Watford A - Loss

Fulham H - Win

Burnley A - Draw

Bournemouth H - Win

Huddersfield A - Draw

Newcastle H - Draw

West Ham A - Loss

Arsenal H - Loss

Man City A - Loss

Chelsea H - Win

Gives us 16 points, 48 points in total. It will follow a pattern of the season, mixtures of wins, draws and losses. 

Due a win against Palace :fc: Fulham and Bournemouth will hopefully be open enough for us to exploit. We won't win at Huddersfield, probably being generous giving us a point. Beat Chelsea on last day if they are out of top 4 race. 

15 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Spurs A - Son scores a hattrick.  But Vardy turns the tap back on good and proper and bags 4, the last one in the 5th minute of "4 added on minutes".We win 4-3. Breathless game.  Pundits gutted.

Crystal Palace H - The "Jeff Schlupp Trophy" ends badly for Palace, as Roy Hodgson suffers a nervous breakdown mid-match, caused by latent guilt at not taking triumphant Drinkwater and Albrighton to play along with Vardy for England in 2016 and instead picking Jack Bloody Wilshere and losing to Bloody Iceland.  Schlupp, temporarily disoriented, runs 60 yards and bangs in a screamer from distance INTO HIS OWN NET, before being advised of his error by his teammates, who turn him around. Iheanacho comes on late and scores off his backside within one minute and then undeservedly gets MOTM.  We win 2-0.

Brighton H - Win 6-0. That's Six - Nil In arrests for homophobic chants.  We also win the actual game game 1-0.  Iheanacho again, causing the club to offer him a fat new 5 Year contract.  He never scores for us again.

Watford A - This year's "Deeney Day" is marred for (T)Watford by it actually being "Vardy Day", as JV scores a brace and then runs in front of their fans, cupping his ears, both times.

Fulham H - Claudio Ranieri's is back with another bunch of outsiders, and it's 5,000 to one against that Fulham will stay up.  Regulation 2-0 win for City,  Relegation beckons for Fulham. Barnes scores his first "official" goal. Okazaki scores what will turn out to be his last goal for us. Off his shoulder from half a yard, of course.

Burnley A - The gravelly voiced moaning one is sent to the stands, for, err, moaning in a gravelly voice.  We hammer them 4-0.  Tielemans scores twice and does a "pelvic thrust" celebration, which gets him a 2nd yellow and sent off.  He tries to explain post match that it was a "Flemish Floss", but gets a ban anyway.

Bournemouth H - We never, ever, ever beat Bournemouth.  Except this time, when we win 1-0 with a last minute deflected effort from Maguire.  Three quarters of the way through the game, at 0-0, Puel continues his bizarre run of substitutions by removing Vardy and bringing on Danny Ward up front. Many, many boos from our crowd at half time and throughout the second half. Either that or they are shouting SHOOT, or FUCHS, or maybe BUFFOON.

Huddersfield A - They try to park the bus,  but we release the handbrake, after we are awarded an early dodgy penalty due to a Vardy dive which is strongly criticised on MOTD, and after that, it's a stroll against the bottom club. Win 3-0.

Newcastle H - Rondon peers meekly out from Johnny Evans's pocket, as we win 2-1, a Vardy Penalty and a Maguire header. 

West Ham A - The over-entitled home crowd boo loudly as their foreign manager, who doesn't interview with much charisma, appears hapless whilst they are beaten at home again.  Sounds familiar.  City triumph without having to go beyond 2nd gear.  Win 2-0.

Arsenal H - This one is on the telly, as we are battling to overtake Arsenal in the league.  Granit Xhaka is sent off after 7 minutes for a professional foul and we win 1-0 thanks to a Maddison free kick over the wall. City do a dressing room selfie.

Man City A - Pep never wants to play against us ever again, as we complete the double over them, with a 1-2 win, in the game which decides the Premier League in favour of the Scousers, and guarantees Europa League for us next year.

Chelsea H - Nothing at stake here, as both teams stroll about in the sunshine without much purpose until the last 10 minutes. We inadvertently score on 86 minutes from a fluke Maddison corner which curls directly into the net and we win 1-0.

39 points from our run in. Easy.

Puel to stay and build a dynasty. 

Our fans finally take him to heart and do a song for him, "My Mate Puel", based on the ACDC song "Highway to Hell".

COYB :scarf:

The stuff dreams are made of ?

15 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Spurs A - Son scores a hattrick.  But Vardy turns the tap back on good and proper and bags 4, the last one in the 5th minute of "4 added on minutes".We win 4-3. Breathless game.  Pundits gutted.

Crystal Palace H - The "Jeff Schlupp Trophy" ends badly for Palace, as Roy Hodgson suffers a nervous breakdown mid-match, caused by latent guilt at not taking triumphant Drinkwater and Albrighton to play along with Vardy for England in 2016 and instead picking Jack Bloody Wilshere and losing to Bloody Iceland.  Schlupp, temporarily disoriented, runs 60 yards and bangs in a screamer from distance INTO HIS OWN NET, before being advised of his error by his teammates, who turn him around. Iheanacho comes on late and scores off his backside within one minute and then undeservedly gets MOTM.  We win 2-0.

Brighton H - Win 6-0. That's Six - Nil In arrests for homophobic chants.  We also win the actual game game 1-0.  Iheanacho again, causing the club to offer him a fat new 5 Year contract.  He never scores for us again.

Watford A - This year's "Deeney Day" is marred for (T)Watford by it actually being "Vardy Day", as JV scores a brace and then runs in front of their fans, cupping his ears, both times.

Fulham H - Claudio Ranieri's is back with another bunch of outsiders, and it's 5,000 to one against that Fulham will stay up.  Regulation 2-0 win for City,  Relegation beckons for Fulham. Barnes scores his first "official" goal. Okazaki scores what will turn out to be his last goal for us. Off his shoulder from half a yard, of course.

Burnley A - The gravelly voiced moaning one is sent to the stands, for, err, moaning in a gravelly voice.  We hammer them 4-0.  Tielemans scores twice and does a "pelvic thrust" celebration, which gets him a 2nd yellow and sent off.  He tries to explain post match that it was a "Flemish Floss", but gets a ban anyway.

Bournemouth H - We never, ever, ever beat Bournemouth.  Except this time, when we win 1-0 with a last minute deflected effort from Maguire.  Three quarters of the way through the game, at 0-0, Puel continues his bizarre run of substitutions by removing Vardy and bringing on Danny Ward up front. Many, many boos from our crowd at half time and throughout the second half. Either that or they are shouting SHOOT, or FUCHS, or maybe BUFFOON.

Huddersfield A - They try to park the bus,  but we release the handbrake, after we are awarded an early dodgy penalty due to a Vardy dive which is strongly criticised on MOTD, and after that, it's a stroll against the bottom club. Win 3-0.

Newcastle H - Rondon peers meekly out from Johnny Evans's pocket, as we win 2-1, a Vardy Penalty and a Maguire header. 

West Ham A - The over-entitled home crowd boo loudly as their foreign manager, who doesn't interview with much charisma, appears hapless whilst they are beaten at home again.  Sounds familiar.  City triumph without having to go beyond 2nd gear.  Win 2-0.

Arsenal H - This one is on the telly, as we are battling to overtake Arsenal in the league.  Granit Xhaka is sent off after 7 minutes for a professional foul and we win 1-0 thanks to a Maddison free kick over the wall. City do a dressing room selfie.

Man City A - Pep never wants to play against us ever again, as we complete the double over them, with a 1-2 win, in the game which decides the Premier League in favour of the Scousers, and guarantees Europa League for us next year.

Chelsea H - Nothing at stake here, as both teams stroll about in the sunshine without much purpose until the last 10 minutes. We inadvertently score on 86 minutes from a fluke Maddison corner which curls directly into the net and we win 1-0.

39 points from our run in. Easy.

Puel to stay and build a dynasty. 

Our fans finally take him to heart and do a song for him, "My Mate Puel", based on the ACDC song "Highway to Hell".

COYB :scarf:

Great post, even if you may have to up your doses on those tablets, I like your positivity.

We've had so many of these threads over the years but this seems harder to call than ever. Somehow we need to get another 8 points but where they are going to come from I've no idea.

The next three home games agains Palace, Brighton and Fulham are absolutely key to how the season will turn out. Win them all and we can run the rest of the season in relaxed mode and try out a few players. However, our form suggests we are just as likely to lose them as win them. If this happens I genuinely think there is a chance we will finish on around 36-38 points and between 15th and 19th place. Losing becomes a habit just as winning does.

The season is on a knife edge at the moment. It is also reminiscent of the year under Taylor when we lost to Wycombe in the cup and didn't win again that season until the final game of the season. As now there was a somewhat hostile atmosphere at the ground and a manager who like now was becoming more unpopular with each passing game.

I think we will be ok but trying to predict where we will pick up points seems impossible.

You can see it in two distinct blocks, once we're past the Spurs game there's a run of 9 games where we don't meet a big 6 club, within that are West Ham, Bournemouth and Watford, tough games, and then the last three all against top 6 sides. The first 9 offer a chance to build momentum and confidence but knowing us and with Bogey teams like Palace and Bournemouth in there we'll make harder work of them than we need to. It's a fairly balanced spread of games overall but clustered like that means we need to be "ahead of schedule" whatever the schedule is, before those last three (or four - incl West Ham away) games. 

It's going to very tough to catch Wolves now, they are looking ominously good although a couple of weeks ago we were a couple of brain freezes away from getting a result there and affecting their momentum. Catching Wolves should put us 7th and that run of fixtures should help but it never works out like that, we're just as likely to win at Spurs and then lose at home to Fulham.

22 hours ago, Tuna said:

Spurs A

Crystal Palace H

Brighton H

Watford A

Fulham H

Burnley A

Bournemouth H

Huddersfield A

Newcastle H

West Ham A

Arsenal H

Man City A

Chelsea H

Thoughts...?

Win: Crystal Palace, Brighton, Watford, Bournemouth, Newcastle

Draw: Spurs, Fulham, Huddersfield, Chelsea

Lose: Burnley, West Ham, Arsenal, Man City

19 points, finishing on 51 (9th).

Decent platform to improve on for next season. Tielemans top scorer from the remaining games, then signing for us in the summer for £18m plus Silva.

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 15:25, Xen said:

Win: Crystal Palace, Brighton, Watford, Bournemouth, Newcastle

Draw: Spurs, Fulham, Huddersfield, Chelsea

Lose: Burnley, West Ham, Arsenal, Man City

19 points, finishing on 51 (9th).

Decent platform to improve on for next season. Tielemans top scorer from the remaining games, then signing for us in the summer for £18m plus Silva.

Given the performances we've put in the last few games and Tielemans settling straight into the side and providing that missing link, I'm even more optimistic now:

Win: Crystal Palace, Brighton, Watford, Fulham, Newcastle, Huddersfield

Draw: Burnley, Chelsea, Bournemouth, West Ham

Lose: Arsenal, Man City

9 game unbeaten run, 22 points from 36, finish on 54 points, 7th.

Tielemans price going up to Silva + £25m

Edited by Xen
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Xen said:

Given the performances we've put in the last few games and Tielemans settling straight into the side and providing that missing link, I'm even more optimistic now:

Win: Crystal Palace, Brighton, Watford, Fulham, Newcastle, Huddersfield

Draw: Burnley, Chelsea, Bournemouth, West Ham

Lose: Arsenal, Man City

9 game unbeaten run, 22 points from 36, finish on 54 points, 7th.

Tielemans price going up to Silva + £25m

Puel lives and dies on those eight highlighted games I think. The excuse of teams sitting deep needs to end with the introduction of Tielemans I hope and expect.

Over to you Claude....:scarf: