Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxInTheBirstallBox

Vardy

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

You either accidentally or deliberately missed my point.

This is in no way a slander of Vardy who is probably our best player.

He is not young and does not suit a "work it into the box" approach (At least currently)

So we either rip up this plan and base our plan around Vardy`s strength (Which will decline, it is inevitable), or look for a forward who can fit this requirement.

This forum can be so fvcking polarised if someone dare to question anyone from that season. :mad:

The purpose of playing Gray was totally obvious, he potentially offered something Puel was looking for.

But of course threading a ball through a defence that is sat back is totally the right way to go....(See, I can do unnecesssary sarcasm too  :thumbup:)

I'm not in anyway criticising what you've written, but if you were going to drop Vardy for a 'work it into the box' type striker wouldn't that be Nacho rather than Gray? He scored many times for Man City with better service than he's had with us, and i've been his biggest critic, but if we are able to evolve to a style that suits him he has shown he has (or at least had) the ability to be an asset in the box. 

I'm Puel 'in', but i think he shot himself in the foot on Sunday with that particular selection, and I think we'd have profited better from having Vardy start, and played Gray out wide rather than Ghezzal. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Al-aLondon-Foxile said:

I'm not in anyway criticising what you've written, but if you were going to drop Vardy for a 'work it into the box' type striker wouldn't that be Nacho rather than Gray? He scored many times for Man City with better service than he's had with us, and i've been his biggest critic, but if we are able to evolve to a style that suits him he has shown he has (or at least had) the ability to be an asset in the box. 

I'm Puel 'in', but i think he shot himself in the foot on Sunday with that particular selection, and I think we'd have profited better from having Vardy start, and played Gray out wide rather than Ghezzal. 

This I agree with. I cannot condone why Puel did not play Nacho in that role, as surely he was a more obvious option.

The only reason I could come up with is that he feels Nacho lacks the close control skills Gray offers :dunno:

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

He is also 32 and it is debatable if he fits/can be made to fit the system.

He has been a fantastic servant, but people need to stop being sentimental and accept that at some point soon, his recognised strengths will start to wane.

Therefore if we were to sack Puel, make a system that works for Vardy, it would have a very short life span.

Don't get me wrong, it would be highly ignorant of us as a club if we had that insular attitude in regards to Vardy but there's evidently a general consensus somewhere in the decision makers that values Vardy as our talisman for the foreseeable future, otherwise there was little reason to extend his contract. I also think it would be very silly of us to start to write him off because he's having a poor season by his standards. He's still likely to score between 10-15 league goals and he is still young baring in mind the upbringing he had in football. If the pace remains then he'll be sound. Also, as a team we are still devastating on the counter and it's about trying to have enough intelligent players in the team who can provide us with those scenarios as much as possible, yes to an extent teams can sit deep on us but we used to be masters at setting traps and exploiting it. I think we'll get Che Adams in in the summer who will play understudy to Vardy but will be a like for like swap, we still require the pace of a player like that.

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

This I agree with. I cannot condone why Puel did not play Nacho in that role, as surely he was a more obvious option.

The only reason I could come up with is that he feels Nacho lacks the close control skills Gray offers :dunno:

He looks low on confidence as well, but that'll only return if hes played, and given support. I dunno about him, i'd pretty much given up with him being a player for us, but i'm holding on to that last hope that he could still be the player we signed if he was given the right service, and with our new addition in midfield this might just happen. 

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Don't get me wrong, it would be highly ignorant of us as a club if we had that insular attitude in regards to Vardy but there's evidently a general consensus somewhere in the decision makers that values Vardy as our talisman for the foreseeable future, otherwise there was little reason to extend his contract. I also think it would be very silly of us to start to write him off because he's having a poor season by his standards. He's still likely to score between 10-15 league goals and he is still young baring in mind the upbringing he had in football. If the pace remains then he'll be sound. Also, as a team we are still devastating on the counter and it's about trying to have enough intelligent players in the team who can provide us with those scenarios as much as possible, yes to an extent teams can sit deep on us but we used to be masters at setting traps and exploiting it. I think we'll get Che Adams in in the summer who will play understudy to Vardy but will be a like for like swap, we still require the pace of a player like that.

Fair enough, dare say we need both options. A pacer striker to run onto counter attacks, and a more "cultured" player to help work the ball into the box. (The latter I think Puel was trying on Sunday)

Agreed also that Che Adams certainly seem to fit the understudy bill as you suggest.

In terms of contracts, well we gave Wes one....:)

(Some time ago I know, but isn`t there talk about another!)

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

This is not a battle Puel is going to win though, we have given our greatest ever striker a new 4 year deal on nearly 150k a week and he will be signing his own P45 if he tries to push him out.

I don't think he's trying to push him out. I was surprised to not see him starting, it was a game for him after all, but if he indeed verbally abused the manger, then it's a no-brainer and had to be dropped. It's a disciplinary matter and the manager has to make a point. I suppose you'd agree with that. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Vardy has better close control, link up play, passing ability and an overall brain than either of those two. My point is if you’re going to try to change the system you need to have the right players to be able to do it first 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Clarkey123 said:

Vardy has better close control, link up play, passing ability and an overall brain than either of those two. My point is if you’re going to try to change the system you need to have the right players to be able to do it first 

Brain is beyond dispute! :thumbup: Close control I am not so sure on.

Just feel we cannot wait for the next window to open, we need to know if someone with good close control (point of dispute I realise) will help in preparation for the window opening.

Puel has said we set up in a 433 with Maddison dropping into a 3 with YT & WN as the holding MD'er, so was the intention not to have a striker but 3 forward players that interchanged in Barnes/Gray/Ghezzal with JM & YT popping into the central attacking space that the 3 upfront create with continued movement & dragging defenders around, would be interesting to see a heat map of those 5 players & see how much they overlap and then with Vardy's over those....where does 1 go for such a beast or can 1 of the bright spark posters read between the lines :twitch:

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Brain is beyond dispute! :thumbup: Close control I am not so sure on.

Just feel we cannot wait for the next window to open, we need to know if someone with good close control (point of dispute I realise) will help in preparation for the window opening.

Well it definitely sticks better to him than gray or iheanacho

Here’s an idea - why not play the best finisher/striker we have had here in the past twenty years with the creative midfield we put out on Sunday and see what happens ??

and for the record - only vardy would have made that run into the six yard box to finish - dimi would have been standing on the pen spot - not a criticism of him - he simply isn’t a centre forward- also note how much more uncomfortable the spurs centre halves looked when vards was chasing them down compared to dimi - you either know what you’re doing up there or you don’t and we only have one player at the club who does. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Here’s an idea - why not play the best finisher/striker we have had here in the past twenty years with the creative midfield we put out on Sunday and see what happens ??

and for the record - only vardy would have made that run into the six yard box to finish - dimi would have been standing on the pen spot - not a criticism of him - he simply isn’t a centre forward- also note how much more uncomfortable the spurs centre halves looked when vards was chasing them down compared to dimi - you either know what you’re doing up there or you don’t and we only have one player at the club who does. 

Bang on the money 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Bingo!!! :scarf: 

Vardy, as I have continually stated is a complete legand, and provided some of the most amazing memories, but every bugger gets old.

He is 32. Despite what @Clarkey123 thinks Vardy's close control is not a patch on Gray's, especially running at speed.

The idea is to look for long term solutions, not continually play the sme way, especially when it will run out of gas soon.

(deep breath)

Therefore we look for other options as counter attack fails against pack defences. Tielemans cannot solve this issue (totally)

image.jpeg

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Bingo!!! :scarf: 

Vardy, as I have continually stated is a complete legand, and provided some of the most amazing memories, but every bugger gets old.

He is 32. Despite what @Clarkey123 thinks Vardy's close control is not a patch on Gray's, especially running at speed.

The idea is to look for long term solutions, not continually play the sme way, especially when it will run out of gas soon.

(deep breath)

Therefore we look for other options as counter attack fails against pack defences. Tielemans cannot solve this issue (totally)

image.jpeg

What game were you watching on sunday 

1 minute ago, Clarkey123 said:

If you think playing gray over vardy on Sunday was a good idea and over the next couple of games is a good idea you’re delusional my man 

For that game? Probably not. For the good of the club in the future, then yes. Simples.

3 minutes ago, Clarkey123 said:

If you think playing gray over vardy on Sunday was a good idea and over the next couple of games is a good idea you’re delusional my man 

Not even sure about playing Gray instead of anyone tbh ..   a glimpse of talent here and there but just can’t seem to improve ...    so frustrating.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

For that game? Probably not. For the good of the club in the future, then yes. Simples.

Are you ‘arguing’ for the sake of it or do you really believe it?  This wasn’t cardiff at home, this was a game where we would actually get some space to play in. Gray is never going to be a centre forward in a one to three or ten up top! It’s not a long term solution so what’s the point of trying it. 

Vardy was dropped because he disrespected the manager - nothing else to say.