Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxInTheBirstallBox

Vardy

6 hours ago, inckley fox said:

I didn't say it was worthless at all, and I'm sure Aguero's goals today have boosted his stats no end too - before that they weren't so hot. Aubameyang and Firmino are still in negative figures. And, as I said, the xG had Vardy down as one of the world's best strikers last season, so if we're slating him now we also have to counterbalance that with credit. And these figures have to be taken in context, because if they weren't and we only went by xG ratings then Richarlison, Lacazette and Pedro would be better than Salah, Aguero and, in two of those cases, Kane.

My point was that there are other statistical measurements in which Vardy isn't doing so badly. And my point was that he isn't receiving ample supply, and no self-respecting expert under the sun would argue otherwise. Furthermore, that no striker - other than Vardy - has ever performed so much as passably under Puel in the EPL, across two different clubs. Puel's sides don't score many goals regardless of the personnel. That's a fact, as things stand. The daftest stance you could adopt when critiquing one of his teams is to fret yourself over whether the centre forward is the problem, especially when you know the centre forward in question has pedigree.

Vardy kept Puel in a job last season and the last two games that he won for us are keeping Puel in a job as we speak. He lived off scraps today, worked his socks off, picked up the ball more than any of our other attacking players, could have scored a belter entirely of his own making and - in the 87th minute - also, sadly, missed a reasonable chance, though by no means a sitter,.

But if we're looking for reasons for our defeat he'd be a way down the list. What frustrates me is that so many people - and I'm not saying you're one of them - seem to feel that the scapegoating of Vardy, the wondering whether he's betraying the boss, or causing problems, or losing his legs, or past his best, is a good first port of call in their defence of Puel. As someone who'd like to see Puel stay here and do well, and who believes that he can, I think that making this point repeatedly undermines our own argument. In the end the guy pummeling his chest and primally bellowing 'Puel Out' makes more sense than we do.

xG isn’t about how good anybody is as a striker, it’s about how good they are at taking chances - I think you’re drawing a false equivalence between the two. Vardy wasn’t “world class” last season but he was an extremely effective finisher.

Vardy’s all-round output this season has been mixed - I thought he was ok yesterday but his finishing is clearly a problem at the moment. There are people throughout this thread saying that he doesn’t get chances and all I’m doing is refuting that point, because it’s plainly obvious that he’s getting better chances than anybody not playing for the top 6.

I agree with you that this is not our number 1 concern but it is a problem. He takes the chances he should (not suggesting for a moment he should be hitting last year’s figures which were exceptional) be taking and we’d be as much as 6 points better off.

Edited by ttfn

Watching that game yesterday I think Vardy needs to look at his own performance. Thought Barnes, Maddison and Gray tried to get on the ball and be creative but there was literally no focal point for them. A few times the ball was fizzed into him and he couldn't bring it under control. TBH I haven't read the rest of the posts but I assume Mandy got slagged off, when actually he played well and in truth he gets a raw deal as others just play him into trouble all the time. Ghezzal did well when he came on, and CP took Maddison off because he switched to a 442. Although at that time I was surprised as we were in the ascendancy. I personally feel like we are on the cusp of a very good side but I can see why others would want a change. Either way, at the minute Vardy is part of the problem.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Nothing to do with the fact he is badly out of form? Or am I not allowed to say that? (Or is that the managers fault too)

Vardy had a golden chance, but fluffed it, Puels fault too?

He's badly out of form. I agree completely. 

You can make a good list of chances Vardy has squandered this season. 

The fact is vardy should be on about 12 goals this season but he's wasted something like 13 clear cut chances that were about as easy to score than miss. 

He's getting plenty of chances but he's fluffing them. 

His movement is also really poor and it looks as though he has no idea how channels work. 

I'm hoping we sign a replacement in summer for transition over the next year or so as the club simply cannot keep playing a certain way to suit 1 player. We are not a 1 player team. 

I think it's a combination of frustration on his part which is then getting in the way of things when the odd chance falls his way. He's only human and he is an emotional and aggressive player. How we harness that and keep him alert, confident and positive in this deteriorating regime is the tricky part. He does have to shoulder some of the blame though, yesterday he was poor.

1 hour ago, cityfanlee23 said:

The fact is vardy should be on about 12 goals this season but he's wasted something like 13 clear cut chances that were about as easy to score than miss. 

He's getting plenty of chances but he's fluffing them. 

His movement is also really poor and it looks as though he has no idea how channels work. 

I'm hoping we sign a replacement in summer for transition over the next year or so as the club simply cannot keep playing a certain way to suit 1 player. We are not a 1 player team. 

Well if we are playing to suit Vardy I would hate to see what we would look like if we weren’t!

15 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

0_GettyImages-1095378682.jpg

lol

A quick glance and I thought this is (in line with the included comment) Vardy looking askance at Puel. But that's not Puel is it?

I don't like missing out...

Edited by turtmcfly

1 minute ago, turtmcfly said:

A quick glance and I thought this is (in line with the included comment) Vardy looking askance at Puel. But that's not Puel is it?

I don't like missing out...

It's just clickbait isn't it really!?

But love the JV expressions, he wears his heart on his sleeve!

• Like 1

On 03/02/2019 at 18:49, TheUltimateWinner said:

the dressing room isn’t his biggest fan.

Poor sod ...  first the players ..  now the dressing room itself has a problem with him ! ....    I’d brick the fooker up and build a new one !   

• Haha 1

On 04/02/2019 at 10:14, Ricey said:

I'm not convinced he's out of form or that his legs have gone like others are suggesting. He has a better shot accuracy this season than Sergio Aguero and Callum Wilson (who you would argue is having a great season) and only marginally worse than Kane.

There isn't a player in this team at the minute that at least some fans seem to now have an agenda against. The fact they there is now a growing group that are now abusing James Maddison is testament to that. Maddison has the third highest key passes in the Premier League.

Jamie Vardy and James Maddison are good Premier League players. They are not the problem here.

Top post...

On 04/02/2019 at 04:14, Ricey said:

There isn't a player in this team at the minute that at least some fans seem to now have an agenda against. The fact they there is now a growing group that are now abusing James Maddison is testament to that. Maddison has the third highest key passes in the Premier League.

Jamie Vardy and James Maddison are good Premier League players. They are not the problem here.

Isn't a key pass one that results in a shot on goal, but not a goal?  An assist that wasn't.  So that stat isn't a good look for JV's (or anybody's) finishing. 

I happen to agree Maddison and Vardy are not the problem.  But they are not above constructive criticism, and their form has room to improve.  Not sure they've been "abused" much on here, except dribbles from the usual few who live to abuse everybody and everything.

On 04/02/2019 at 09:14, Ricey said:

I'm not convinced he's out of form or that his legs have gone like others are suggesting. He has a better shot accuracy this season than Sergio Aguero and Callum Wilson (who you would argue is having a great season) and only marginally worse than Kane.

This. Our fans are the problem. 

After JVs benching yesterday was listening to Puel post match for an explanation. 

Quotes like " I was happy with Demari's performance as the striker " . .  . 

"Maybe Vardy scored his goal because he was rested first half " .   . . 

And " its  probably something I'll try again " . . . Suggests to me that Jamies first choice status is coming to an end. 

Hopefully I'm wrong but the apparent friction between them and the system Puel favours is going to see our talisman pushed aside .

He'll obviously have to move over eventually but for me not anytime soon.  

15 hours ago, woollett the bullet said:

After JVs benching yesterday was listening to Puel post match for an explanation. 

Quotes like " I was happy with Demari's performance as the striker " . .  . 

"Maybe Vardy scored his goal because he was rested first half " .   . . 

And " its  probably something I'll try again " . . . Suggests to me that Jamies first choice status is coming to an end. 

Hopefully I'm wrong but the apparent friction between them and the system Puel favours is going to see our talisman pushed aside .

He'll obviously have to move over eventually but for me not anytime soon.  

This is not a battle Puel is going to win though, we have given our greatest ever striker a new 4 year deal on nearly 150k a week and he will be signing his own P45 if he tries to push him out.

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

He is also 32 and it is debatable if he fits/can be made to fit the system.

He has been a fantastic servant, but people need to stop being sentimental and accept that at some point soon, his recognised strengths will start to wane.

Therefore if we were to sack Puel, make a system that works for Vardy, it would have a very short life span.

Because we looked so much more dangerous with gray up front, sigh... made up that vardy really did stick it to puel when he came on, bar the penalty miss he did more in 10minutes than gray did the whole first half. There really isn’t anything tactically beneficial from starting gray over vardy, he doesn’t offer anything different and can’t hold the ball and link up play. Vardy in