Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxInTheBirstallBox

Vardy

All in favour of phasing Vardy out, he isn't getting younger and we do need to look for what's over the horizon. It's also proved a lengthy ban or injury to him and we could be in serious bother.

I just felt that phasing him out when we have no one capable of picking up the mantle is silly, get someone in the summer and then begin to phase him out.

1 minute ago, Reg Vardy said:

am i the only one who thought Kelechi did ok....apart from one shinner.....

Even if he did Reg I think it’s too little too late for the Nacho man ...   even Clod has probably realised this now by bunging Gray upfront to start.   Clod needs to send him out on loan to try and get his confidence back and therefore his value to us or sell and take a hit.  The most important position for us come summer is a goal scoring forward.

2 minutes ago, Clarkey123 said:

Where you running off to Dahnsouff, you’ve got some explaining to do lol 

MUST.STOP. REPLYING.

Don`t get whats so difficult to understand.

1. Need new striker soonish :thumbup:
  2. Vardy good for counter attack based attaching :thumbup:
  3. Vardy not great at teams that sit deep and do not allow counter attacks/space :thumbup:
  4. Player with more close control/technical ability might help unlock defences with their passing/movement
    1. Lets try that.
      1. Sh*t it worked = get one of those too in the Summer!

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

MUST.STOP. REPLYING.

Don`t get whats so difficult to understand.

1. Need new striker soonish :thumbup:
  2. Vardy good for counter attack based attaching :thumbup:
  3. Vardy not great at teams that sit deep and do not allow counter attacks/space :thumbup:
  4. Player with more close control/technical ability might help unlock defences with their passing/movement
    1. Lets try that.
      1. Sh*t it worked = get one of those too in the Summer!

6.  Needs to score goals ...   that’s Gray out then.    

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

All in favour of phasing Vardy out, he isn't getting younger and we do need to look for what's over the horizon. It's also proved a lengthy ban or injury to him and we could be in serious bother.

I just felt that phasing him out when we have no one capable of picking up the mantle is silly, get someone in the summer and then begin to phase him out.

No. Vardy must play every game (and the full 90 minites at that) forever, or at least until he actually does look like Old Man Steptoe. :dunno:

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Please read what I wrote before you replied.

Ok

30 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

For that game? Probably not. For the good of the club in the future, then yes. Simples.

Here you are saying play Gray instead of Vardy n the future.   

And im saying that’s not a good idea ..   cus Gray isn’t a natural striker/finisher.  

Just now, Countryfox said:

Ok

Here you are saying play Gray instead of Vardy n the future.   

And im saying that’s not a good idea ..   cus Gray isn’t a natural striker/finisher.  

The bit in bold I agree with 100% percent. I just figured that looking for a different type of striker, someone with more technical skills (a bit like Gray, especially at speed) would allow other options, such as unlocking teams that sit deep. Something Vardy is not ideal for unlocking.

Coupled with the fact we need to look soon as Vardy is getting on, just thought it made sense to try a different sort of striker.

Now, against Tottenham? Hardly ideal, but he had to try it at some point, and Tottenham was almost a free hit at Wembley.

Against Palace would have been worse, as Vardy defo needed (Watch him pay Gray again now...:) )

Apologies if I was unclear on my posts.

Our style needed to change. Doesn't matter if it was Puel or any other manager. We can't sack Puel and then require a manager to adopt Vardy's style, we'd go down quicker than anything else. He's 32.

We need another forward, prefebly to play with Vardy. Even if he does get injured / suspended now, I'd struggle to see where other goals are coming because Iheanacho lacks something (at the minute lacks confidence too).

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

The bit in bold I agree with 100% percent. I just figured that looking for a different type of striker, someone with more technical skills (a bit like Gray, especially at speed) would allow other options, such as unlocking teams that sit deep. Something Vardy is not ideal for unlocking.

Coupled with the fact we need to look soon as Vardy is getting on, just thought it made sense to try a different sort of striker.

Now, against Tottenham? Hardly ideal, but he had to try it at some point, and Tottenham was almost a free hit at Wembley.

Against Palace would have been worse, as Vardy defo needed (Watch him pay Gray again now...:) )

Apologies if I was unclear on my posts.

Love to discuss it with you Souff but I’m just having a quick cheese and ham sandwich before going back out to freeze my nuts off ..   :)

• Haha 1

I don't believe Vardy is anywhere near as bad recently as people have been making out.He's not the ball of energy he was in the first seasons back in the PL but he does still puts the frighteners in defences.

Some of our link up play was superb on Sunday but Vardy's absence felt like the missing piece of the puzzle. Tielemans arrival could be a big help to him.

After next season we will enter the post-Vardy era unless he leaves earlier or gets injured. This summer is vital for finding a new striker.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

I don't believe Vardy is anywhere near as bad recently as people have been making out.He's not the ball of energy he was in the first seasons back in the PL but he does still puts the frighteners in defences.

Some of our link up play was superb on Sunday but Vardy's absence felt like the missing piece of the puzzle. Tielemans arrival could be a big help to him.

After next season we will enter the post-Vardy era unless he leaves earlier or gets injured. This summer is vital for finding a new striker.

Most of the goal chances fell to the wingers not the striker himself, which was due to Gray drifting wide to attract the defenders. Not saying that Gray is the solution (he isn't).

That said, Vardy isn't finished and even if he's a bit slower he still can shake off any defender when given the space, which doesn't happen as often. He's lethal but it's undeniable that he's missing more chances than in the previous seasons and that's not because he's not fed. He's still part of the plan however we definitely need an alternative. I'm curious to see the impact Tielemans is going to have on his goal ratio.

vardy has undeniably lost a yard or two of pace - he's gone from beating everyone and anyone to everything to occasionally getting past his man. 

nobody wants to see vardy decline but no amount of denial or wishing it isn't going to happen will stop it - he's 32 and a large part of his game is based around his pace, even though he is technically very good as well.

he's had plenty of chances this season and isn't burying them because of poor form. 

it's not the end of Vardy yet but to deny that we need to start seriously considering a replacement and potentially a different angle is a bit blinkered, imo. 

• Like 1

The 2 games Puel has decided to opt with Gray rather than a natural attacker has been against Liverpool at home and Spurs away. It is an odd time to try it. We were instantly more dangerous when Iheanacho came on vs Liverpool and we were left feeling like we'd have gotten a point had he started and then on Sunday, some of those through balls from Tielemans would have been food and drink for the main man Vards. Frustrating.

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The 2 games Puel has decided to opt with Gray rather than a natural attacker has been against Liverpool at home and Spurs away. It is an odd time to try it. We were instantly more dangerous when Iheanacho came on vs Liverpool and we were left feeling like we'd have gotten a point had he started and then on Sunday, some of those through balls from Tielemans would have been food and drink for the main man Vards. Frustrating.

Think Vardy was serving his suspension after the wolves red card for the Liverpool game. 

Anyway Vardy is God and not to play him v a spurs side there for the taking was daft. 

The big sides fear him, even now. 

I'm not anti Puel, before anyone starts?

Still on the fence

8 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

Think Vardy was serving his suspension after the wolves red card for the Liverpool game. 

Anyway Vardy is God and not to play him v a spurs side there for the taking was daft. 

Still on the fence

publicly call your boss a ****ing dickhead and see what happens, being dropped for one game is Vardy getting off lightly.

The only mistake Puel made was not saying afterwards that Vardy was dropped for disciplinary reasons

Edited by Jimmy
  • Thanks 1

I'd be more worried about Vardy, if he'd had a proper pre-season and not gone to the World Cup. Coupled with niggly injuires, it effect his season.

Whilst he more than likely isn't a quick as before he still seem able to get in the right position when chances are created.

I've got a feeling the goal on Sunday and actually having a CM who can pass a forward ball could be a turning point and I wouldn't be surprised to see him finish the season with a bang and end up with around 13-15 goals for the season.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

publicly call your boss a ****ing dickhead and see what happens, being dropped for one game is Vardy getting off lightly.

The only mistake Puel made was not saying afterwards that Vardy was dropped for disciplinary reasons

He is only saying what people think.

2 hours ago, Reg Vardy said:

am i the only one who thought Kelechi did ok....apart from one shinner.....

We looked a lot more fluid up front.  This doesnt put all the pressure on one striker so Iheanacho could come on and not be the focal point, seemed much more relaxed

This was the positive about dropping Vardy for the half, with no out and out striker we had a more balanced approach, albeit a bit toothless

Vardy needs to play but we also need to keep this fluidity going forward.  Incredible the effect Tielemans had on that front 3

34 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

Still on the fence

Yes he was, but Iheanacho wasn't selected either. As soon as he came on we were a threat but we were chasing a 2 goal deficit. It's odd that he's not tried Gray in what might be more easier games for him to learn the craft on playing the striker role. Perhaps there's an argument of it being the perfect time to go without a recognised striker, if you did that vs a lesser club then there would be uproar from the fans. Either way it doesn't seem to have been particularly successful so far, Gray doesn't seem in any way strong enough to play the lone role.

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yes he was, but Iheanacho wasn't selected either. As soon as he came on we were a threat but we were chasing a 2 goal deficit. It's odd that he's not tried Gray in what might be more easier games for him to learn the craft on playing the striker role. Perhaps there's an argument of it being the perfect time to go without a recognised striker, if you did that vs a lesser club then there would be uproar from the fans. Either way it doesn't seem to have been particularly successful so far, Gray doesn't seem in any way strong enough to play the lone role.

Nacho had played the previous games of Vardy's ban and been awful, from the start of the season he basically had the chance to replace Vardy and didn't take it

29 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Vardy started professionally at 23, he can easily play to his late thirties, the amount of disservice he gets is bemusing, he should start every f**king game, Puel needs to realise his strengths and utilise them.

I agree he should start every game, but this idea that his legs wont give because he started late... is there anything behind that of substance?   Any science behind that to back it up?  I'm pretty sure no matter what he isn't going to be able to bang out weekly 90 minutes in one or 2 season time max