Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

He's probably been doing little other than playing football from his mid teens but, as above, I still find it hard to believe. Still, if he's willing to learn about it and understand just why people find it so offensive then it's good news. Better than simply crucifying the guy. 

4 hours ago, Buce said:

I don't know what to make of Wayne Hennessey's claim that he didn't know what a 'Nazi salute' is and knew nothing of Adolf Hitler and the Second World War.

Can anyone really be so detached from the real world?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47996638

It's impossible and if he doesn't know he needs to be sent on a course.

This Wayne Hennessey saga is just cringe worthy now. He's been badly advised to say he was 'shouting for someone' and now claims he doesn't know anything about the Nazi's. 

I think he should of just took it on the chin, admitted what he did, apologise, take the criticism and face the consequences and then it will all be forgotten about in a month or 2. 

• Like 4

Think he's lying, too.

At the time of that photo, you also see some guy putting a bunny finger gesture above the head of the person next to him; so it seemed like it was a photo that they knew was about to be snapped.

That quite makes me believe that Hennessey knew what he was doing, via posing for a picture (albeit he was probably drunk at that moment, but anyway made a silly amd serious error of misjudgement).

Don't think Max Meyer would quite believe that he didn't understand what the Nazi term/salute meant, as it was by far the worst atrocity period in the world.

9 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Very misleading stats, that’s talking about the UK world emigration vs it’s EU immigration. We currently have 9.8 million 1st gen immigrants. Also if you head to head with them EU countries, they all have more here than we do in their countries with the exception of Spain.

We have an estimated 300,000 in Spain, it’s viewed by the Spanish as a bit of an invasion, with just a third of that figure of Spanish over here. Let’s look at our head to head with Poles, Irish and Italians shall we?

Brits in Italy 50k

Italians in Uk 600k

Irish un uk 870k

Brits in Ireland 260k

Brits in Poland 5k

Polish in UK 910k

We can do them all head to head if you like? But mixing up different stats to paint a picture that isn’t true, is exactly what you accuse the people you oppose of. :nono:

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

21 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Very misleading stats, that’s talking about the UK world emigration vs it’s EU immigration. We currently have 9.8 million 1st gen immigrants. Also if you head to head with them EU countries, they all have more here than we do in their countries with the exception of Spain.

We have an estimated 300,000 in Spain, it’s viewed by the Spanish as a bit of an invasion, with just a third of that figure of Spanish over here. Let’s look at our head to head with Poles, Irish and Italians shall we?

Brits in Italy 50k

Italians in Uk 600k

Irish un uk 870k

Brits in Ireland 260k

Brits in Poland 5k

Polish in UK 910k

We can do them all head to head if you like? But mixing up different stats to paint a picture that isn’t true, is exactly what you accuse the people you oppose of. :nono:

In fact, if you want to take anything out of those figures, it’s that when brits do move abroad, most of them do not need to use their freedom of movement right to do so. It’s obviously not quite so beneficial as you think.

Of this 4.9m living abroad 3m (over half) live in either Oz, US, Canada or New Zealand.

Edited by Strokes
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Who's going to tell him that most European countries (and I presume most countries full stop) use some version of the word "expats" to describe nationals living abroad?

Guest MattP

The second one btw is the lowest Conservative vote share in a opinion poll since 1997 according to Tim Shipman (ST Pol Ed.) - given they got 42% in an election less than two years ago that's quite a feat.

I'm actually at a point now where I think the party needs a beating, it's not just Brexit either it's everything else...

We (rightly) criticise Corbyn for IRA sympathy yet it's a Tory government dragging a soldier up to court in his last year's whilst Republican bombers walk free.

Roger Scruton, one of the greatest thinkers of this generation is sacked after the Conservative's believe a pack of lies printed by a journalist from the New Statesman.

House Building - what has actually happened here? Home owners equal Tory voters - nothing.

The party of law and order? We've got knife crime out of control, violence in the streets and coppers on skateboard's whilst eco-loons shut down London, say something nasty on Twitter though and you'll have the full force of the law on you. Not even getting onto defence.

The Tory party needs a massive change of direction and no one should vote for it until it does.

If it takes a crazy marxist to do it then unfortunately that's where we are, if he gets elected blame the people like May, Hammond, Grayling etc who have led this shambles. Zombie government that deserves to fall.

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

It’s derived from Latin isn’t it? @Alf Bentley?

Er, if you say so, mate. I never studied Latin. 

3 hours ago, Strokes said:

Brits in Italy 50k

Italians in Uk 600k

Irish un uk 870k

Brits in Ireland 260k

Brits in Poland 5k

Polish in UK 910k

Well corrected, sir. I noticed this last night but couldn't be arsed arguing for once (unprecedented, I know).

Would be interesting to see some proper stats for migration between different EU countries AND to/from external countries.

I presume the figures quoted mean that a lot fewer continental Europeans migrate to countries outside Europe, whereas a lot more Brits go to US, Aus, Canada, NZ, SA etc.

I'd have expected that - but maybe not quite to that extent. I presumed a fair number of French, Germans, Italians, Irish and others went to the US etc.

If figures are accurate, it presumably also means that few continentals from the other post-imperial countries migrate to Latin America, French-speaking Africa, SE Asia etc?

While the gist of your figures is clearly right, Strokes, I do wonder about those figures for Irish and Italians in the UK. 

Are there really 600k native Italians and 870k native Irish in the UK? The whole population of RoI is only  about 5m. There is clearly a fair number, but I wonder if they're including people of Irish/Italian descent (descendants of migration waves years ago)?

Yes, Spain is the one obvious country where there'd be a lot more outgoing than incoming. Figures for France would be interesting, too - a lot going in both directions, I'd say.

Figures for Poland are unsurprising - and would be a similar balance for other Eastern European nations, but with lower numbers.

Interesting polls, @MattP

Farage's Brexit Party seems to have cornered the Hard Brexit vote surprisingly quickly. A big vote for them in the Euros (assuming they happen) seems guaranteed - and UKIP's future looks in serious doubt....unless there's a much bigger rise in support for the racist Far Right.

Remain supporters seem to be drawing a big distinction between a hypothetical Westminster election and the European elections. Labour's ratings in polls for the Euros are much lower than those for a hypothetical general election.

For the European elections, Labour looks set to take almost as big a hit as the Tories - though not quite as big - but the Tories would clearly be hammered at a general election....which makes an early election much less likely, I presume.

A very fluid situation, though....

The figures for the unequivocally pro-Remain parties (LD, Greens, ChangeUK) suggest that a major own-goal is incoming at the European elections. Polls seem to give them 25%+ of the vote, but divided three ways they'll get very few MEPs due to the electoral system. In contrast, if Farage's crew get 25% alone (distinctly possible) they'll get heaps of MEPs, possibly more than Labour or the Tories again - or close to that, at least. It's ironic, to say the least, that those 3 parties are supposedly making a big principled stand against Brexit (whatever you happen to think of that), yet cannot agree to stand on a joint ticket because they want to seize the electoral opportunity for their particular party. I can understand that with the SNP/Plaid as they have a different angle, likewise the Greens to some extent and Labour is not an unequivocally pro-Remain party.....but Lib Dems & Change UK standing against one another in elections where you need 8-15% of the vote to elect an MEP is tactical stupidity.

The polls suggest:

- In a general election, Labour could lose votes but gain a parliamentary majority....so unlikely the Tories will allow an early election to happen!

- In European elections, the Second Referendum parties (LD/G/ChUK), Hard Brexit parties (BrexitP, UKIP) & Soft Brexit/Remain nuanced (Labour) could get similar vote shares, with the Tories sidelined. Add in the SNP and there could be a clear majority supporting Remain or Soft Brexit parties....yet, due to divisions on the centre left, Farage could easily gain 50%+ of the MEPs and a mass of good publicity for the Hard Brexit cause.....talk about shooting yourself in the foot!

Would be interesting to see some figures from N. Ireland, too - and to see what happens there if the European elections happen: whether there's a drift away from the DUP to the UUP/Alliance etc.

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Er, if you say so, mate. I never studied Latin. 

Well corrected, sir. I noticed this last night but couldn't be arsed arguing for once (unprecedented, I know).

Would be interesting to see some proper stats for migration between different EU countries AND to/from external countries.

I presume the figures quoted mean that a lot fewer continental Europeans migrate to countries outside Europe, whereas a lot more Brits go to US, Aus, Canada, NZ, SA etc.

I'd have expected that - but maybe not quite to that extent. I presumed a fair number of French, Germans, Italians, Irish and others went to the US etc.

If figures are accurate, it presumably also means that few continentals from the other post-imperial countries migrate to Latin America, French-speaking Africa, SE Asia etc?

While the gist of your figures is clearly right, Strokes, I do wonder about those figures for Irish and Italians in the UK. 

Are there really 600k native Italians and 870k native Irish in the UK? The whole population of RoI is only  about 5m. There is clearly a fair number, but I wonder if they're including people of Irish/Italian descent (descendants of migration waves years ago)?

Yes, Spain is the one obvious country where there'd be a lot more outgoing than incoming. Figures for France would be interesting, too - a lot going in both directions, I'd say.

Figures for Poland are unsurprising - and would be a similar balance for other Eastern European nations, but with lower numbers.

Alright Alf, I’m out with the kids today but I’ll link where I sourced it from when I get back.

18 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Alright Alf, I’m out with the kids today but I’ll link where I sourced it from when I get back.

I'm not doubting the gist of your figures - and agree with your point about the stats being misleading. 

Would just be interesting to see full stats....much appreciated if you can link later, but if not I could always get off my arse and onto Google myself. :D

I think the overall figure within the EU is that 3m+ from the continent are in the UK and 1m+ from the UK on the continent.

I've never seen any stats for Brits or Europeans living outside the EU, in ex-colonies on other continents etc.

The age of the respective migrants is an issue, too, of course. Most EU migrants in the UK are of working age, but a much higher proportion of Brits in certain countries (Spain, France) are retirees.

If they had to all return to their native countries, it would cause problems to both EU and UK, but different problems:

- Lots of people of working age returning to countries with fewer employment opportunities or high unemployment, causing economic/social problems back home and labour shortages in certain sectors in the UK;

- Lots of retirees returning to the UK putting a strain on the NHS, housing and tax revenues, while sucking money out of the local economy in the Costas, the Dordogne or wherever.

Hopefully, if Brexit happens, it can be done in an organised way to avoid any such problems: i.e. with a deal of some description.

Enjoy your family day out.  :thumbup:

Edited by Alf Bentley
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Strokes said:

It’s derived from Latin isn’t it? @Alf Bentley?

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Yeah, so many of our languages share it.  From expatriare meaning to move out (ex) of one's home country (patrium I think, only did a couple years of latin).

The word expat is a contraction of expatriate, which derives from the Latin word expatriatus

Te gratissimum.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Buce said:

The word expat is a contraction of expatriate, which derives from the Latin word expatriatus

Te gratissimum.

...And they all come from the verb expatriare. Et tu Buceh :whistle:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Buce said:

Te gratissimum.

You'll grass on my Mum?! You'll have my Mum for free?! You'll give my Mum free grass?! The latter, I expect!

Et tu, Buce?! :o

Dulce et decorum est to expatriate more of them...

8 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

I'm not doubting the gist of your figures - and agree with your point about the stats being misleading. 

Would just be interesting to see full stats....much appreciated if you can link later, but if not I could always get off my arse and onto Google myself. :D

I think the overall figure within the EU is that 3m+ from the continent are in the UK and 1m+ from the UK on the continent.

I've never seen any stats for Brits or Europeans living outside the EU, in ex-colonies on other continents etc.

The age of the respective migrants is an issue, too, of course. Most EU migrants in the UK are of working age, but a much higher proportion of Brits in certain countries (Spain, France) are retirees.

If they had to all return to their native countries, it would cause problems to both EU and UK, but different problems:

- Lots of people of working age returning to countries with fewer employment opportunities or high unemployment, causing economic/social problems back home and labour shortages in certain sectors in the UK;

- Lots of retirees returning to the UK putting a strain on the NHS, housing and tax revenues, while sucking money out of the local economy in the Costas, the Dordogne or wherever.

Hopefully, if Brexit happens, it can be done in an organised way to avoid any such problems: i.e. with a deal of some description.

Enjoy your family day out.  :thumbup:

In 2016, the Italian embassy in London estimated that 600,000 Italians were resident in the UK. According to Ethnologue, Italian is the first language of some 200,000 people in the UK, although the 2011 Census recorded only 92,241 people with Italian as their main language in England and Wales.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italians_in_the_United_Kingdom 

I know it’s wiki but it quoted the Italian embassy so I doubt it’s inaccurate.

It is estimated that as many as six million people living in the UK have an Irish-born grandparent (around 10% of the UK population). The 2001 UK Census states that 869,093 people born in Ireland are living in Great Britain.

Again Wikipedia 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_diaspora

Maybe we can find better sources but I was in a bit of rush to be fair.

• Thanks 1