Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tom12345

Playing style - why the good football but not the finishing?

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

We have one of the best strikers in the league and a manager who wants a style of play that doesn’t include playing to Vardy’s strengths. Simple as that. 

The days of ball over the top have gone. Teams sit deep. He needs to adapt and has been poor. Runs around a lot but realistically and sadly is contributing little. If we had a viable option or he was at another club he'd have been dropped by now I think and I take no pleasure in saying that. The whole team can't be expected to play to one 32 year olds past glories.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

The days of ball over the top have gone. Teams sit deep. He needs to adapt and has been poor. Runs around a lot but realistically and sadly is contributing little. If we had a viable option or he was at another club he'd have been dropped by now I think and I take no pleasure in saying that. The whole team can't be expected to play to one 32 year olds past glories.

Yes cos this new style is so effective 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Teams sat back against us towards the end of title win. Our tactics worked then to create opportunities to break teams down.  We can't even counter from a corner when Puel defends with all team back. Thielemans got ball edge of box from a palace corner and looked for an option to go forward, no one there and he got tackled edge of the box.   We pass so often and so slow tempo and movement we have no opportunities for playing a through ball let alone a hopefull ball over the top.  We give no service to Vardy, he is still a class striker. When Puel goes, I believe we will see Vardy back to his best, as in Pogba since Ole came in.  

5 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Teams sitting deep is partially a manifestation of Puel’s playing style as I and a few others here mentioned. They appear to sit deep precisely because we let them do that: (1) by letting Vardy play as a lone striker; (2) because we move the ball upfield too slowly allowing teams to get back into shape; (3) because we often need to slow down as we have to wait for our wingers to get up field to support the attack as Vardy is the only man forward otherwise. It would be different if we have another supporting striker.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

We have one of the best strikers in the league and a manager who wants a style of play that doesn’t include playing to Vardy’s strengths. Simple as that. 

We HAD one of the best strikers.

I think FTers need to accept, that like Wes Morgan, Shinji and Robert Huth, Vardy has declined. He entered the season unfit, then got sent off and then had niggling groin problems. He hasn't been right physically or mentally throughout the season and that is clear in his poor and lacklustre play.

People need to accept that he was a super hero for us, a Legend for football but now it's over. Time to move on.

What actually constitutes good football? I didn't watch anything yesterday and think "wow, that's good football"

We plodded around alot and moved the ball to the edge of their box, went sideways a few times before attempting a dreadful shot on goal.

We all scoffed at Spurs when they claimed possession = good football, but we are now a poundland Spurs, "dominating" games and falling short time and time again. I'd take Kasper>Mahrez>Vardy>Goal over this "good football" any day. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chester Dontlie said:

Re: Vardy.

Never thought I will miss 4-4-2 again after Ranieri's second season. There is no striker in the world who can thrive on his own and supply passes to himself. Before our game I watched Bundesliga game Bayern vs Hertha, in which Lewandowski was exactly as isolated as Vardy, can't remember if he had even one half-chance the whole game, so obviously he couldn't score (it ended 1-0 after DM's header from a corner). It's the same in every team really. When the midfielders aren't supplying balls to the striker you can't expect him to deliver. And when the striker doesn't get any support, he doesn't score a lot. And that's exactly what's happening to Vards. 

Stats: 

Tournament Apps Mins Goals Assists SpG KeyP Drb Fouled Off Disp UnsTch Rating
Premier League 19(4) 1750 8 3 2 0.8 0.3 0.5 1 0.6 1.4 6.68
FIFA World Cup England 1(3) 157 - - 0.5 0.5 0.5 0.3 0.3 0.3 1.3 6.17
Int. Friendly England 2(1) N/A 1 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A -
Total / Average 30 1907 9 3 1.8 0.7 0.3 0.4 0.9 0.5 1.4 6.61

That's 2 (TWO) shots per game. If that lack of support happened to Messi or Ronaldo people would get on their back too. And if you expect a striker to convert a 100% or even 50% of his chances, then I'm sorry you are clueless and should play FIFA instead of watching football games, because in real life it just doesn't happen. Both Salah and Lewandowski had conversion rate of 22% last season. Messi had 17,3. Ronaldo 14,6. Kane 15,7. Vardy? 28.6% . 

That was only last season. This season, so far, it's arguably worse. 8 (goals scored) / 2 (shots per game) x 19 (games). That's 21%. SHOCKING!!!!... Yes, he is indeed finished and living his past glories.

FFS have a word with yourself people.

Simply put, he is doing his best, and failing, in a system that doesn't suit him. And we have no player who could replace him at the moment and be more 'adaptive' to whatever Puel wants us to play (a digression: are there any players who adapted really well to puelball in this team and can be set as exaples? It's a rhetorical question, obviously). The problem is not Vardy's inability to adapt and learn new tricks, but Puel's stubbornness and lack of flexibility.

Most of the classic centre forwards like Vardy when journalists ask them what is their preferred set up say they like to play off a second, supporting striker. In a system with two strikers opposing defenders' attention is divided and they can play off each other. There's less pressure. Puel thought he will make offensive midfielders do the striker's duty, but evidently, they can't, so we end up watching Maddison, Gray and co. shooting balls into the stands ... It seems playing with a second striker was never in his plans. I think having Vards as a lone striker is almost as criminal as was getting stuck with two anti-creative DMs for most of the season. Since Puel came I have a feeling he's been stubbornly trying to emulate Guardiola's Barcelona or Man City, or Pochettino's Tottenham, while ignoring individual players' qualities and shortcomings. People keep on saying we need to give him time, another transfer window, because we are 'few signings away' from making things click (I heard this song last season already).

Let's face it, we will never have enough players to make it work, we don't have Man City's luxury to swim in world class players and bench the likes of Mahrez (or Vardy). Even Puel's new signings aren't making the system work. How many more new players need to be signed before we come to the conclusion it's the manager's fault. At the beginning of the season we were making fun of Wolves and calling them Wolvalona and other silly names, but it seems they will have the last laugh. Either they have better players, or maybe, just maybe, their manager has more clue than ours.

Speaking of the defensive side is like opening Pandora's box. We are absolute mess, one of the easiest teams to score against on the counter, always give away an early goal (and then have to chase the result). And Puel was supposed to be the 'safety first', defensive-minded manager ;) 

As for Maguire. Like with Vardy, Puel is playing to his weaknesses instead of his strengths. England got to 4th place in the World Cup with this lad in defence... but Maguire was always playing in a three. 3-5-2 could be the answer for him and Vardy. But yeah, he's shit/overrated. Let's get rid in the summer. We can always rely on Wes to fill in, can't we. 

I won't even start about the midfield.

Halleleujah!

We've basically become a very down market Arsenal from Wenger's final few seasons. But with out the same quality players.

18 minutes ago, FIF said:

We HAD one of the best strikers.

I think FTers need to accept, that like Wes Morgan, Shinji and Robert Huth, Vardy has declined. He entered the season unfit, then got sent off and then had niggling groin problems. He hasn't been right physically or mentally throughout the season and that is clear in his poor and lacklustre play.

People need to accept that he was a super hero for us, a Legend for football but now it's over. Time to move on.

Well thank god we had him against Chelsea, Everton and Man City or we'd be right in the sh*t.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, reynard said:

Well thank god we had him against Chelsea, Everton and Man City or we'd be right in the sh*t.

Because he won them singlehandedly? And maybe if we'd had someone else during the other games we wouldn't have been.

12 minutes ago, wardyfox86 said:

What actually constitutes good football? I didn't watch anything yesterday and think "wow, that's good football"

We plodded around alot and moved the ball to the edge of their box, went sideways a few times before attempting a dreadful shot on goal.

We all scoffed at Spurs when they claimed possession = good football, but we are now a poundland Spurs, "dominating" games and falling short time and time again. I'd take Kasper>Mahrez>Vardy>Goal over this "good football" any day

You're living in the past. Even the year after we won the league it didn't work - and got Ranieri and shakey the sack.

Gordon Banks is dead but I'd take him (at his best) over Kasper anyday.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, FIF said:

Because he won them singlehandedly? And maybe if we'd had someone else during the other games we wouldn't have been.

Well pretty much yes. We don't have anyone else on the books capable of scoring those goals he did against Everton and Chelsea.

Long term of course you're correct but right now we have far bigger problems than Vardy.

4 minutes ago, FIF said:

You're living in the past.

Gordon Banks is dead but I'd take him (at his best) over Kasper anyday.

And what a past it was. After yesterday's result you'll find me hiding in 15-16 until we try again on Tuesday lol

What we are playing now is not good football, contrary to what the OP says. Winning football is good football. 

Edited by wardyfox86

7 hours ago, NeilLCFC said:

Yes cos this new style is so effective 

Well the original one after our winning season both ceased to work and we hadn't in any case the players to fulfil it. It's an absolute no brainer, it had to change whatever it was to be. Not saying we've got the right style at all but, whatever we adopt, we can't build it around a 32yr old player, he has to adapt to whatever it is. 

14 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

So back to playing on the break, which everyone knew how to nullify round about April 2016?

• Thanks 1

Our forward 3 aren’t creative or clinical enough. The Tielemans signing felt like a big improvement but for all our good play we don’t make or take enough of our chances. This is not straightforward to solve as playing this way is about attacking together as a team.

It will be interesting to see what style we play over the next few months. I have a feeling we will revert back to 442.

Edited by StriderHiryu

Because our possession football is slow and predictable, decent possession based sides move the ball quickly and can change tempo.

Have to laugh at people saying counterattacking doesn't work, all the best teams counterattack at pace. The difference is it was the only way we could play. You have to be able to do both possession based football, with the ability to counter quickly when you don't have the ball and win it back.

Because apart from Vardy, we have no one who is employed to put the ball in the back of the net.  We literally have zero strikers.  Okazaki is past it, Nacho is actually dreadful and that's all we have.  

I believe we have a top 8 defence and midfield, but a relegation front line. Which is shown by the fact that we create quite a lot, but our conversion rate is shocking. 

I'd like to see a 4-1-2-1-2 narrow diamond.

N'didi or mendy as the holding midfielder.

Tielemans and choudary as the CMs

Maddison at CAM.

Vardy up top with either Barnes or Gray.

Chilwell and Riccy providing the width with Barnes or Gray also pulling defenders wide to create space for vardy.

I'm intrigued what people see as good football. Just simply keeping the ball, isn't good football is it? I like to see a team play together with heart, dig out a huge win/battling performance, see a solid cohesive unit look organised and know exactly what each others role is and be quick and deadly at the other end... I suppose all I have done is describe the team who won the league, but I like to see organisation and determination, not a load of players passing sideways not taking the game by the scruff of the neck.

I might be in the minority, but not often did I think under Puel we played really good football...

• Like 1

Our problem was not really Vardy, it was the fact that our front three all together just did not create enough space for each other to run into, and when they did, they didn't make the runs either and when they did make runs, they were often ignored for a shot. I think Barnes is our only winger all season who has done what Puel wanted of him.

Two up top might have solved some of our problems but to be honest I doubt it. Unless maybe Barnes played as the second striker, both Iheanacho and Okazaki were clearly not good enough to play to the standard Puel requires.

Maybe with time it would have worked out, probably not. I think Puel was trying the impossible to be honest - we just don't have the right players at the front to play the style of football he wants and the club wants.