Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Raiding Celtic...

5 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Morelos knows how to score a goal but he's an absolute liability when it comes to red cards. Think he's had 3 or 4 already this year. Would spend most of his time in the stands. Shoukd have had alot more too. Constantly kicking out at players and getting himself into fights. 

He's still young, and I think is being kept on a loose leash in a very physical league. I imagine with maturity and the right coaching that could be changed.

9 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

He's still young, and I think is being kept on a loose leash in a very physical league. I imagine with maturity and the right coaching that could be changed.

Possibly but like Gerrard has said, he's reluctant to take that fire out his game in case it affects his game and how he plays. 

1 hour ago, Xen said:

He's got a 6 year contract with no release clause.

If we say he ain't going, then he ain't going.

That's great, so whoever comes in for him will have to pay more. It means nothing.

I'm pretty sure we said "you ain't going" to Mahrez, Drinkwater, Kante... And they gone.

8 minutes ago, lcfcrinaldi said:

That's great, so whoever comes in for him will have to pay more. It means nothing.

I'm pretty sure we said "you ain't going" to Mahrez, Drinkwater, Kante... And they gone.

We said nothing of the sort to Kante, because he had a release clause.

Drinkwater wouldn't have gone if Chelsea hadn't offered an insane amount of money. We chose to sell, he didn't force our hand.

We had a gentleman's agreement with Mahrez to stay for the CL season and then we'd consider any offers. He pushed for the move in January but Man City wouldn't meet our terms so we held firm and said no. The situation changed in the summer, we got a bid that was acceptable to us and allowed us to fund numerous replacement, so we sold him. On our terms.

If an offer comes in that the club thinks is fair then of course we'll consider it. But my point was that the player can't force us to sell him and any opposition club can't come and take him unless we're happy with the fee. We hold all the cards.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Xen said:

We said nothing of the sort to Kante, because he had a release clause.

Drinkwater wouldn't have gone if Chelsea hadn't offered an insane amount of money. We chose to sell, he didn't force our hand.

We had a gentleman's agreement with Mahrez to stay for the CL season and then we'd consider any offers. He pushed for the move in January but Man City wouldn't meet our terms so we held firm and said no. The situation changed in the summer, we got a bid that was acceptable to us and allowed us to fund numerous replacement, so we sold him. On our terms.

If an offer comes in that the club thinks is fair then of course we'll consider it. But my point was that the player can't force us to sell him and any opposition club can't come and take him unless we're happy with the fee. We hold all the cards.

Well funnily enough, that was exactly the point I was making...

At no point did I say that Chilwell would throw his toys out the pram or force a move.

19 minutes ago, lcfcrinaldi said:

Well funnily enough, that was exactly the point I was making...

At no point did I say that Chilwell would throw his toys out the pram or force a move.

You said:

53 minutes ago, lcfcrinaldi said:

To me, that sentence reads as if we have no control over the situation, and that if someone wants our players we're unable to stop them going.

My point was that its completely up to us if we sell. Noone is going to force our hand in any way, so if we decide we want to keep him, we'll keep him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xen said:

You said:

To me, that sentence reads as if we have no control over the situation, and that if someone wants our players we're unable to stop them going.

My point was that its completely up to us if we sell. Noone is going to force our hand in any way, so if we decide we want to keep him, we'll keep him.

okay, so I'll just say as a blanket to cover all eventualities...

Money talks, I'm sure we didn't want to sell Mahrez or Drinkwater, but enough money came up for them, so we did.

If we where willing to cave in with Mahrez, I'm sure we will do the same with Chilwell.

50 minutes ago, lcfcrinaldi said:

okay, so I'll just say as a blanket to cover all eventualities...

Money talks, I'm sure we didn't want to sell Mahrez or Drinkwater, but enough money came up for them, so we did.

If we where willing to cave in with Mahrez, I'm sure we will do the same with Chilwell.

I think we're saying similar things but from marginally different perspectives, so this is becoming a little circular.

I don't think we caved at all - I think we chose to cash in in both cases and (try to) spend that money elsewhere on improvements. I'm confident we won't even entertain any bids for Chilwell unless they're ridiculous (£50-60m+) and we can get a bid accepted for a suitable replacement, like Tierney, at a lower price.

Edited by Xen

3 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Morelos knows how to score a goal but he's an absolute liability when it comes to red cards. Think he's had 3 or 4 already this year. Would spend most of his time in the stands. Shoukd have had alot more too. Constantly kicking out at players and getting himself into fights. 

He's very Suarezesque, which I can see the temptation for Rodgers to bring him in and fit in to our system.

• Like 1

Tierney is dyed in the wool celtic. Hes a fan and been there since he was 7yrs old and is the future captain so i reckon he will not leave celtic at all in his career but if he does it will be to a top 4 club in england.

I reckon rodgers will try and sign Tom Rogic if anyone but not sure celtic board will do business with brendan either.

Edited by GreenBrigade67

5 minutes ago, GreenBrigade67 said:

Tierney is dyed in the wool celtic. Hes a fan and been there since he was 7yrs old and is the future captain so i reckon he will not leave celtic at all in his career but if he does it will be to a top 4 club in england.

I reckon rodgers will try and sign Tom Rogic if anyone but not sure celtic board will do business with brendan either.

If Tierney keeps improving he definitely won't be spending his career at Celtic.

We don't need him nor would he come here, but you're deluded if you think he won't be off the second a big boy south of the border comes sniffing.

Just now, Langston said:

If Tierney keeps improving he definitely won't be spending his career at Celtic.

We don't need him nor would he come here, but you're deluded if you think he won't be off the second a big boy south of the border comes sniffing.

Possibly but a top 4 club is his likely destination if any. As i said rodgers will probably go for tom rogic if anyone.

12 hours ago, GreenBrigade67 said:

If the Celtic board have proven anything in their willingness to let Rodgers go with 11 games to go before a treble treble, it's that there isn't alot they wouldn't do for cash. 

If the money is right, they would sell to us. Absolutely no doubt about it. 

53 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

If the Celtic board have proven anything in their willingness to let Rodgers go with 11 games to go before a treble treble, it's that there isn't alot they wouldn't do for cash. 

If the money is right, they would sell to us. Absolutely no doubt about it. 

Yeah and the swiftness that this happened would suggest there wasnt much negotiation. We paid his contract up and they bent over.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lcfc sheff said:

Got to be a clause that says Brendan can’t sign any Celtic players for the summer atleast, would make sense considering they’ve let us have him now rather than in the summer.

We supposedly paid his release clause, meaning Celtic couldn't have demanded any such clauses be put in. They didn't let us have him now anyway, it was the other way around. They had no control over the situation but we were willing to let them keep him. Rodgers himself made it happen as quickly as it did.

The only way that might be the case is if such a clause was put in when Rodgers signed his contract with Celtic 2.5 years ago.

• Like 1

On 28/02/2019 at 11:44, Xen said:

He's got a 6 year contract with no release clause.

If we say he ain't going, then he ain't going.

What a ridiculous comment. Just like we said little was not going villa. Contracts mean feck all. If he says he's going he's gone and fvck all the club can do. 

17 hours ago, GreenBrigade67 said:

Money talks and even morals have a price. 

43 minutes ago, sylofox said:

What a ridiculous comment. Just like we said little was not going villa. Contracts mean feck all. If he says he's going he's gone and fvck all the club can do. 

Not quite true is it, the club can play hard ball like we did with Mahrez. It took him two seasons to get his move, with the last year pretty much going on strike during both transfer windows in the hope of getting the move and we only budged when we got a good price. I don't see Chilwell doing that but at the same time if Man City really want him then eventually he'll go but not straight the way unless they offer stupid money.

• Like 1

On 27/02/2019 at 17:19, StriderHiryu said:

If we can't sign Tielemans I could see us going in for McGregor, though I think that would be a big risk personally. Tierney is good but he's too good for cover and we aren't going to get rid of Chilwell.

Maybe more likely are some of the loan players that Celtic have that will return to their parent clubs at the end of the season. Timothy Weah won't get much game time at PSG, though Celtic use him as a left sided forward and we already have Barnes. But I could still see someone like that coming here either on loan or permanently.

Completely biased, because I watch him for the US national team. Timo Weah is a really promising young player, borderline Pulisic level hype. It's hard to breakthrough at PSG, given their squad, so PSG might be willing to part ways with him for the right price. Transfermarkt has him valued at 5M euros. To us they'd probably want 15-20M. 4 years from now I could see him going for beyond what Chelsea paid for Pulisic, which in of itself was an outrageous fee.

He's shown that he's maybe a bit too good for the SPL, even though he has mostly made substitute appearances. I'd like to see what he could do in the premier league. I think his attributes would make him a very good winger or #10 playing under Vardy. He has the pace to break on the counter, and he can really pick out a pass. 

Edited by Detroit Blues

1 hour ago, sylofox said:

How is it ridiculous?

He's tied to a contract without a release clause - as are all of our players. They can kick up a fuss as much as they want but unless we accept an offer then there's nothing they - or any buying club - can do to force us to sell.

If there are no offers we deem acceptable then we don't sell. Simple as that.

Edited by Xen
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, GreenBrigade67 said:

If Tierney is good enough for a top four club then it's almost certain he will want to test himself at the highest level. Top players don't want to stay in Scotland for their whole careers. No chance will he want to be wondering when he's 40 if he should have moved when he has no European trophies but 30 odd winners medals in Scottish football. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah and the swiftness that this happened would suggest there wasnt much negotiation. We paid his contract up and they bent over.

A few of these flew around in January. I don't think it was a 48 hr decision he was tapped up well before. Might be wrong but remember how many times his name was mentioned in the 12 months prior to his appointment.. 

Screenshot_20190301-181856.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Xen said:

How is it ridiculous?

He's tied to a contract without a release clause - as are all of our players. They can kick up a fuss as much as they want but unless we accept an offer then there's nothing they - or any buying club - can do to force us to sell.

If there are no offers we deem acceptable then we don't sell. Simple as that.

So name a club that's forced a manager to manage. Once a manager wants out he's gone forcing one to stay would be suicide.