Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Raiding Celtic...

3 hours ago, SO1 said:

Sorry Agent Henrik. Looks like I jumped the gun. Looks like Callum's going to have to claw his way out of there. The Turnbull drama doesn't sound good. That squad needs to be replenished this year or I fear this year is the one Celtic will regret.  7 days till the first friendly.

Yeah in dire need of reinforcements.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Just like none of Maddison's were for us last season. Did Turnbull take set pieces out of interest? Going back to Maddison, I rate the lad but I do think the hype around him from others is a little misplaced, he's yet to do anything of importance for England U21's and of his 7 goals and assists last season they were mostly set pieces and against the top sides he was often mediocre. He absolutely should stick with us as I fear a move so soon to the top clubs would see him fail to make an impact and he'd ruin his career. Expecting big things from him next season for us, especially if his mate Youri is alongside him.

I think 5 of his goals were penalties.  I've only seen him for 90 minutes a couple of times against Celtic, the rest has been 5 minute highlights on Scotsport every Sunday night and I know it's not a lot to base it on but he does look as if he has a real chance to be a very good player.  I think this move he is making is the wrong one however and could hamper his development for a number of reasons.  He would be best served going to Celtic or a championship club where he'll get more time and freedom to develop.

42 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

I think 5 of his goals were penalties.  I've only seen him for 90 minutes a couple of times against Celtic, the rest has been 5 minute highlights on Scotsport every Sunday night and I know it's not a lot to base it on but he does look as if he has a real chance to be a very good player.  I think this move he is making is the wrong one however and could hamper his development for a number of reasons.  He would be best served going to Celtic or a championship club where he'll get more time and freedom to develop.

Maybe its a good thing that this happens to him so early in his career.  A year on the bench or in the stands will be a wake up call. If he plays then he made the right move. 

Just like McGinn. I don't know what's happening at Celtic but it better get worked out soon. 

17 hours ago, SO1 said:

Maybe its a good thing that this happens to him so early in his career.  A year on the bench or in the stands will be a wake up call. If he plays then he made the right move. 

Just like McGinn. I don't know what's happening at Celtic but it better get worked out soon. 

Difference being McGinn is about 5 years older and he made exactly the right moves in his career at the right time to ensure he played and developed and it's come up trumps for him now.  For example he rejected interest from the Championship and MLS when he left St Mirren at around 19-20 and signed for Hibs instead.  Turnbull looks to be doing the opposite and I can't see it working out for him, fully expect him to be out on loan within 12 months.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, notnow john said:

@henrik_62 looks  like you've called Turnbulls advisors bluff, he's signing for you according to Sky!

Not so sure it's that lol, word on the street is that Norwich said he'd be part of their development squad at worst and going out on loan at best so he's rightly chosen Celtic as the better option for him to develop for the next few years.  Excited by this signing tbh.

8 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Not so sure it's that lol, word on the street is that Norwich said he'd be part of their development squad at worst and going out on loan at best so he's rightly chosen Celtic as the better option for him to develop for the next few years.  Excited by this signing tbh.

Would be a poor choice to join the development squad tbh, no guarantee you then make it out of there. 

We've done similar things with players before, simply reselling them a few years later to lower teams but higher than they came from 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bmouth_fox said:

I imagine it’s been said by now, but the last time we raided ‘top’ Scottish teams it didn’t work out too well (Levein). Stay well clear

I'm 33 years old, I've been watching Scottish football in some degree for probably about 25 years...... In that time, Hearts have never been a "Top" team. I think they may have won the Scottish cup in 97/98 or somewhere around that but they've never been a top team. Even when Rangers died and started again in the 3rd division, Hearts still weren't in the top 2 teams un the league. 

Comparing Hearts to Celtic is like comparing Man City and Everton. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I'm 33 years old, I've been watching Scottish football in some degree for probably about 25 years...... In that time, Hearts have never been a "Top" team. I think they may have won the Scottish cup in 97/98 or somewhere around that but they've never been a top team. Even when Rangers died and started again in the 3rd division, Hearts still weren't in the top 2 teams un the league. 

Stephen Hughes was at Rangers and was highly rated - look how that turned out. Rab Douglas - Celtic...

2 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Plus we must not forget that according to super pundit Chris Sutton, Celtic’s reserves are bigger than lowly Leicester.

3 hours ago, bmouth_fox said:

Stephen Hughes was at Rangers and was highly rated - look how that turned out. Rab Douglas - Celtic...

My point wasn't with regards to players being highly rated in Scotland. My point was that you stated that Hearts were a TOP team in Scotland. Also..... Rab Douglas has always been a laughing stock. He was never rated. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Have a slight concern/feeling that one of Benkovic or Soyuncu won't make it at LCFC, more the former imo.

Yeah have the feeling his injuries are going to stop him making the jump. Hopefully we can get to the bottom and manage his ankle injuries with time. 

• Like 1

On 22/06/2019 at 12:43, Ric Flair said:

And who can forget Momo Sylla...

Gary McAllister, Ali Mauchlen, Davies Gibson, Frank Mclintock, Bobby Roberts, Bobby Smith, Malcolm Manly, Ali Brown, Ian Wilson.

I could go on but Leicester has always had a strong Scots connection. 

24 minutes ago, two8two said:

Gary McAllister, Ali Mauchlen, Davies Gibson, Frank Mclintock, Bobby Roberts, Bobby Smith, Malcolm Manly, Ali Brown, Ian Wilson.

I could go on but Leicester has always had a strong Scots connection. 

we have had a strong scots connection at the club,

but in terms of players coming from the Scottish league and doing well, its few and far between now, its the odd one or 2 that do well, and others do alright but nothing special

2 hours ago, FrankieADZ said:

we have had a strong scots connection at the club,

but in terms of players coming from the Scottish league and doing well, its few and far between now, its the odd one or 2 that do well, and others do alright but nothing special

This is not just true of LCFC. Yes there are a few highly rated Scottish footballers in the premier league but nothing like the numbers that there used to be. Is this because their league is so poor that there just is not the development going on, the influx of foreign players restricting chances or some other deeper issue (youngsters choosing rugby or other sports over football?)?  Where have all the Dagleish's, Mcavennies, Macary's McQueen's, Hansen's etc gone?

2 hours ago, urban fox said:

This is not just true of LCFC. Yes there are a few highly rated Scottish footballers in the premier league but nothing like the numbers that there used to be. Is this because their league is so poor that there just is not the development going on, the influx of foreign players restricting chances or some other deeper issue (youngsters choosing rugby or other sports over football?)?  Where have all the Dagleish's, Mcavennies, Macary's McQueen's, Hansen's etc gone?

I reckon it is the standard of the SPL that is the root cause of the lack of quality Scots down South.   Scouts probably cannot judge a players’ ability due to the overall standard of what is around the said players.    Go back 30-50 years and there were a huge number of great Scottish players compared with a handful at the moment.  The first Foxes game I saw in 1966 we had 5 Scots playing for us and Arsenal 4.  When was the last time 9 Scots played in the same EPL game I wonder.  I would not raid Celtic for anyone   as they will have our pants down on the price for someone that may not even be up to spec.

5 hours ago, mozartfox said:

I reckon it is the standard of the SPL that is the root cause of the lack of quality Scots down South.   Scouts probably cannot judge a players’ ability due to the overall standard of what is around the said players.    Go back 30-50 years and there were a huge number of great Scottish players compared with a handful at the moment.  The first Foxes game I saw in 1966 we had 5 Scots playing for us and Arsenal 4.  When was the last time 9 Scots played in the same EPL game I wonder.  I would not raid Celtic for anyone   as they will have our pants down on the price for someone that may not even be up to spec.

The standard you saw then is relative to the dynamics of football back then. 

Look at the Division 1 squads back then and surely the vast majority of them were made up almost exclusively of British players. 

Tierney is  high class having him and Chilwell at if for that place would be seriously good , we need to be doubling up in key positions and both these lads offer options at  20m he would be a good buy and then if Chilwell wants out next summer we have a replacement ready , could get 60m for chillwell next summer 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, LinekersLugs said:

Tierney is  high class having him and Chilwell at if for that place would be seriously good , we need to be doubling up in key positions and both these lads offer options at  20m he would be a good buy and then if Chilwell wants out next summer we have a replacement ready , could get 60m for chillwell next summer 

Without European football your going to struggle having that type of competition. 

• Like 1