Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Raiding Celtic...

Guest SO1

Thought Scott Brown was excellent when I followed Celtic. Absolute legend at pressing, retaining possession and getting the ball back. Not a bad passer either.

Never understood the amount of stick he got. Celtic will have a hard time replacing him. He'll stay on for Rangers games until he's 60. Always gave everything for the team.

3 hours ago, SO1 said:

Thought Scott Brown was excellent when I followed Celtic. Absolute legend at pressing, retaining possession and getting the ball back. Not a bad passer either.

Never understood the amount of stick he got. Celtic will have a hard time replacing him. He'll stay on for Rangers games until he's 60. Always gave everything for the team.

Great shout if we can’t sign Tielemans, get Scott Brown in, Scotland’s answer to Xavi, id pay up to 40mil for him. Can always pick up some great talent in the Scottish leagues, we’ve had some real quality over the years from there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest SO1
4 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Great shout if we can’t sign Tielemans, get Scott Brown in, Scotland’s answer to Xavi, id pay up to 40mil for him. Can always pick up some great talent in the Scottish leagues, we’ve had some real quality over the years from there. 

40 mil. Seems a bit low.

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, weller54 said:

Tierney and McGregor still on BR's radar according to some reports.. Celtic fans in meltdown mode! 

They're not really lol  Tierney has been heavily linked with Arsenal over the last couple of weeks if you've not noticed so if leaves this summer (which I'm willing to bet my mortgage he won't) he won't be going to Leicester and I don't mean that in any sort of bitter way. 

McGregor as much as there'd be disappointment at losing him I don't think many Celtic fans would be surprised if he followed Rodgers to Leicester this summer and we've already began sorting replacements in midfield with the boy Turnbull from Motherwell for £3m.  McGregor doesn't owe us anything, he came through our youth system and has been a superb player for us and done and seen it all in terms of how far he can go with Celtic, he'd very much go with the fans best wishes if he were to leave.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 4

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/david-turnbull-deal-could-accelerate-callum-mcgregor-s-celtic-exit-1-4947196

Key bits pertaining to Leicester:

"The Scotsman understands there is firm interest in the Scotland midfielder, who celebrates his 26th birthday on Friday, from his former Celtic manager Rodgers as he prepares for his first full season in charge of Leicester City. Rodgers is expected to sanction an offer in the coming weeks for McGregor who is valued at around £10 million by Celtic."

"Leicester would appear to stand the best chance of persuading McGregor to make the move now as he would welcome the prospect of furthering his development once more under Rodgers’ tutelage."

"While McGregor would certainly not feature on any list of players Lennon would too readily wish to move on, the arrival of Turnbull does make it more palatable for Celtic to contemplate accepting an offer from Leicester which meets their valuation."

4 minutes ago, egg_fried_rice said:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/david-turnbull-deal-could-accelerate-callum-mcgregor-s-celtic-exit-1-4947196

Key bits pertaining to Leicester:

"The Scotsman understands there is firm interest in the Scotland midfielder, who celebrates his 26th birthday on Friday, from his former Celtic manager Rodgers as he prepares for his first full season in charge of Leicester City. Rodgers is expected to sanction an offer in the coming weeks for McGregor who is valued at around £10 million by Celtic."

"Leicester would appear to stand the best chance of persuading McGregor to make the move now as he would welcome the prospect of furthering his development once more under Rodgers’ tutelage."

"While McGregor would certainly not feature on any list of players Lennon would too readily wish to move on, the arrival of Turnbull does make it more palatable for Celtic to contemplate accepting an offer from Leicester which meets their valuation."

There's speculation Lennon and McGregor don't get on from back when Lennon was first manager and he was a youth player and away out on loan.  Not sure how true it is but what I've heard.

I'd be disappointed if we only got £10m for him tbh, if you were to get him for that sorta fee then from your perspective that is an absolute no brainer of a move to make and great business.

22 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

They're not really lol  Tierney has been heavily linked with Arsenal over the last couple of weeks if you've not noticed so if leaves this summer (which I'm willing to bet my mortgage he won't) he won't be going to Leicester and I don't mean that in any sort of bitter way. 

McGregor as much as there'd be disappointment at losing him I don't think many Celtic fans would be surprised if he followed Rodgers to Leicester this summer and we've already began sorting replacements in midfield with the boy Turnbull from Motherwell for £3m.  McGregor doesn't owe us anything, he came through our youth system and has been a superb player for us and done and seen it all in terms of how far he can go with Celtic, he'd very much go with the fans best wishes if he were to leave.

What's a mortgage? 

6 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

There's speculation Lennon and McGregor don't get on from back when Lennon was first manager and he was a youth player and away out on loan.  Not sure how true it is but what I've heard.

I'd be disappointed if we only got £10m for him tbh, if you were to get him for that sorta fee then from your perspective that is an absolute no brainer of a move to make and great business.

McGregor deserving of his own thread? Where would you see McGregor at Leicester, as a first reserve for Tielemans and Maddison or a rival to Ndidi as a better baller? 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4364816/brendan-rodgers-move-callum-mcgergor-celtic-turnbull/

4 minutes ago, Gerard said:

McGregor deserving of his own thread? Where would you see McGregor at Leicester, as a first reserve for Tielemans and Maddison or a rival to Ndidi as a better baller? 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4364816/brendan-rodgers-move-callum-mcgergor-celtic-turnbull/

That's the really attractive thing about McGregor, especially at the price being quoted he is equally comfortable playing deep in midfield or in the more advanced position Maddison plays.  I'm not saying he would displace either Tielemans or Maddison but because of his versatility and his ability to fill in for both I reckon he'd play a good volume of games over the course of a season. 

He could also play next to Ndidi on occassion, away to the bigger sides where Ndidi could concentrate on being a destroyer and giving it to McGregor who can retain the ball excellently and move the team up the park with his strong running.  Rodgers deployed this tactic a lot for us against the better sides in Europe where we would play with two deep lying midfielders in a 4-2-3-1 type shape.  In terms of a direct comparison to Ndidi, in terms of technical ability he is a far better footballer, obviously Ndidi's strengths are power and athleticism.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, henrik_62 said:

That's the really attractive thing about McGregor, especially at the price being quoted he is equally comfortable playing deep in midfield or in the more advanced position Maddison plays.  I'm not saying he would displace either Tielemans or Maddison but because of his versatility and his ability to fill in for both I reckon he'd play a good volume of games over the course of a season. 

He could also play next to Ndidi on occassion, away to the bigger sides where Ndidi could concentrate on being a destroyer and giving it to McGregor who can retain the ball excellently and move the team up the park with his strong running.  Rodgers deployed this tactic a lot for us against the better sides in Europe where we would play with two deep lying midfielders in a 4-2-3-1 type shape.  In terms of a direct comparison to Ndidi, in terms of technical ability he is a far better footballer, obviously Ndidi's strengths are power and athleticism.

I ran out of reactions but this is it in a nutshell. Please make it happen. Negotiating off of 10 mil. :doh:

2 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

Scotsman a legit source? I get blocked from the states.

I've said from day one, I would be all over this. £10m is insanely good value. 

As for where he would fit in the team/squad, I think it depends on who we are playing. Playing 3 CM's like we have been, I think it wise to have plenty of options and cover. From what Rodgers has said, I think he feels Hamza is more box to box than a DM and I think McGregor would be utilized as box to box also with Mendy covering Ndidi and Tielemans and Maddison being more creative. 

Those six covering midfield would be excellent in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Not sure on McGregor. He's a good player and 10m is relatively cheap by today's Premier League standards, but if we have Tielemans, Maddison, Ndidi and Choudhury do we really need another central midfielder? That's assuming we move Matty James on, which is not guaranteed given his contract length.

Assuming we sign Tielemans then our goalkeeper, defence and central midfield options are all really solid and have depth. Where we are lacking then is in our forward options, with too much reliance on Vardy and not enough goals contributed by our wingers and backup striker. If the team we had now still had Mahrez we'd easily score another 10-15 goals a season which would almost certainly net us 7th at worst. He is one of the best players we've ever seen in a Leicester shirt so I don't expect someone quite on his level, but a player who can grab 10 a season and likely improvement from Barnes would really complete the team. So if we only signed two players but those two players were Tielemans and a top class wide man we'd be in business.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Not sure on McGregor. He's a good player and 10m is relatively cheap by today's Premier League standards, but if we have Tielemans, Maddison, Ndidi and Choudhury do we really need another central midfielder? That's assuming we move Matty James on, which is not guaranteed given his contract length.

Assuming we sign Tielemans then our goalkeeper, defence and central midfield options are all really solid and have depth. Where we are lacking then is in our forward options, with too much reliance on Vardy and not enough goals contributed by our wingers and backup striker. If the team we had now still had Mahrez we'd easily score another 10-15 goals a season which would almost certainly net us 7th at worst. He is one of the best players we've ever seen in a Leicester shirt so I don't expect someone quite on his level, but a player who can grab 10 a season and likely improvement from Barnes would really complete the team. So if we only signed two players but those two players were Tielemans and a top class wide man we'd be in business.

I tend to agree.  If Tielemans comes in, then we should have other priorities before going for another midfielder, including finidng new homes for some players.

You missed Mendy off that list aswell.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

Perhaps not then :huh: Turnbull

5 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

We need McGregor to step in when Tielemans or Madison are tired or injured that way we can keep the same formation and stay on the front foot. It's essential that we have cover for the no. 8 position especially as we look to play with 2 of them.

10 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

Is McGregor a better player then Stuart Armstrong in your opinion? If so why?

13 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

Yeah much better to go out and wax £50m on Sporting Lisbon's answer to any footballer.  Maybe doing that again would be a better option than going and getting someone like Ryan Fraser this summer.  You should give Lee Congerton a phone, you and him would get on like a house on fire!

Yeah lets raid Scotland! There is plenty of Scottish talent in the EPL.