Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bald reynard

Callum McGregor - back on ?

15 minutes ago, roblcfc84 said:

My dad knows a few Celtic fans who claim this is definitely happening. Didn’t post anything as it seemed dead but maybe not...

Heard similar, rumour has been swirling from not long after Rodgers left that McGregor wants to join him.

Guest SO1
9 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Heard similar, rumour has been swirling from not long after Rodgers left that McGregor wants to join him.

If this is happening then it might not go until the end of the window. Have to grind those greedy feckers Celtic down. :)

Sorry to steal your Scot slang.

I've suspected this would happen since Rodgers took over. Not based on anything other than how Brendan brought Mcgregors career on since being at Celtic. 

I don't think there will be a better opportunity for Calmac to make the step up than doing it with a manager who knows him and who he trusts. 

27 minutes ago, SO1 said:

If this is happening then it might not go until the end of the window. Have to grind those greedy feckers Celtic down. :)

Sorry to steal your Scot slang.

Given Ntcham looks definitely for the off given his recent comments, can't see any way back for him, if we were to lose both him and McGregor it would need to happen soon as we'd need to undertake significant surgery of our midfield.

The board wouldn't be stupid enough to put themselves in another Dembele situation like last season nor would the fans stand for it, then you add in McGregor just signed a new five year contract at Christmas.

If the McGregor to Leicester move is going to happen it'll need to happen soon imo or Celtic will dig their heels in.

4 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Given Ntcham looks definitely for the off given his recent comments, can't see any way back for him, if we were to lose both him and McGregor it would need to happen soon as we'd need to undertake significant surgery of our midfield.

The board wouldn't be stupid enough to put themselves in another Dembele situation like last season nor would the fans stand for it, then you add in McGregor just signed a new five year contract at Christmas.

If the McGregor to Leicester move is going to happen it'll need to happen soon imo or Celtic will dig their heels in.

Well I’m uncertain where he fits in tbh - I know he can play on the right but he’s not really a winger is he? He wouldn’t come to play back up to JM YT or possibly Perez?

Please do tell me as I don’t know diddly really about Celtic players.

Adrien Silva loves Glasgow.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

You're spot on in what you say but I reckon you have to consider that Celtic have longer to get players in than we do. 

For me, there is a certain amount of sense in leaving alot of your business until the English window closes as it eliminates a serious amount of competition for signings.  It also gives Celtic the chance to go for players that haven't been included in a 25 man squad. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Well I’m uncertain where he fits in tbh - I know he can play on the right but he’s not really a winger is he? He wouldn’t come to play back up to JM YT or possibly Perez?

Please do tell me as I don’t know diddly really about Celtic players.

Adrien Silva loves Glasgow.

He's a box to box CM who leans more towards being more attacking minded. 

If he was to sign, hes either gonna be backup to youri and Maddison or we are changing to a diamond. 

6 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

You're spot on in what you say but I reckon you have to consider that Celtic have longer to get players in than we do. 

For me, there is a certain amount of sense in leaving alot of your business until the English window closes as it eliminates a serious amount of competition for signings.  It also gives Celtic the chance to go for players that haven't been included in a 25 man squad. 

Yeah fair points, the one thing you leave out though is McGregor is critical to our chances of getting to the Champions League so again unless we can replace him quickly, i.e. around now, then we wouldn't sell when we get to the meat of the qualifying rounds in Q3 and Q4 as losing him would not only cost us our best midfielder but potentially another £30m of Champions League income. 

In terms of competition for signings we just can't compete with EPL clubs tbh, that's the reality, we just don't have anywhere near the same level of finance.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, henrik_62 said:

One of his biggest attributes is his versatility, he can play deep in midfield as a 6, box to box as an 8 and equally effective as a 10 and I think it's that which would attract Rodgers to bringing him to Leicester.  My own opinion is he's best playing in that deep 6 role, next to someone like Ndidi where he could be the football brain of the partnership.

He may not be first choice in any of those roles but he'd play circa 30 games a season imo by rotating players throughout the midfield and performing well whenever and wherever he plays.  He's a superb technical footballer, very intelligent and very aware of what's going on round about him.

Thanks for the summary, looks like Rodgers might play a 2-8 formation, chaaaaaaarge :P

• Haha 1

Wouldnt this be a bit of a greedy signing? As @henrik_62 has noted one of his best attributes is versatility. Surely we have that now with Perez? 

If we have any funds left (which i would be shocked if we do, considering the amount already spent) wouldnt we be better going for an out an out winger and fill the weakest part of our current 11? 

1 minute ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Wouldnt this be a bit of a greedy signing? As @henrik_62 has noted one of his best attributes is versatility. Surely we have that now with Perez? 

If we have any funds left (which i would be shocked if we do, considering the amount already spent) wouldnt we be better going for an out an out winger and fill the weakest part of our current 11? 

I hope you don't sign him obviously for selfish reasons lol!  I'd say Perez exudes the same versatility across the forward positions however whereas McGregor is the same but across the midfield positions.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Yeah, I think there would be an element of greed in it. 

We dont necessarily need him and I honestly (with respect) can't see him being signed as a starter but if we do get a winger in and there is a bit left over, I would love to have him as he'd improve our squad massively. 

• Like 2