Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bald reynard

Callum McGregor - back on ?

Just now, Finnegan said:

Doesn't Mendy play well every pre season? 

Hahaha, he certainly did last pre-season as it was the first time he was considered as a Leicester player. Everyone had written him off, especially after an anonymous season on loan back at Nice.

The thing with Mendy is he's not as good as Ndidi at tackling or marshalling the space in front of the defence nor is he anywhere near as dynamic as Choudhury and then moving on to our creative midfielders we might as well discuss where they've all been on their holiday as his ability going forward doesn't even compute. So he's the sort of player that when the season starts and they start playing and the going gets tough it's really difficult to understand what on earth he's doing in the side. If Rodgers can get something extra from him then great but with a year to go on his deal and what appeared like a real desire to go back to France, it seems likely we'll accept a reasonable transfer fee for him and 10 seconds later i'll not care.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, urban fox said:

Not so sure of that. Mendy has been playing well  pre season and if we are trying to close out a game he is a better bet than Hamza IMO at present as he is calm on the ball and a tidy player. Hamza still needs to get the odd rush of blood out of his system yet which is not what you need when hanging on to a slender lead. That said if I was starting with 2 DM against the stronger sides then I would start with Choudhry and Wilf.

Hamza’s ability on the ball is underrated imo. I see what your saying but with Hamza’s pressing ability, could cause teams into panic whilst trying to press for a goal.

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think that's a bit presumptious, is it based on that horrific challenge he did in the Euros? That's literally the only evidence of Choudhury losing his head and if we are only going to base this on one occasion we could cast our mind back to the Southampton home game last season when Mendy committed an early penalty followed by several rash challenges that looked destined to result in a red and he got away with it before being dragged.

There was a stas bomb thing showing Choudhury's game compared to Ndidi's and it's very interesting. It would suggest that it's merely a matter of time before Choudhury challenges him properly for that DM role. I still think there's a requirement for both and Mendy in the squad or if Mendy goes then another combative central midfielder, possibly with a bit more ability going forward.

Fair point but some of Hamzas tackling, whilst his strength and I love to see it, does not leave much margin for error. I do agree though that we should keep all three for now and as you say Choudhury will only get better as he gets older and I am sure that Rodgers will soon get rid of any rough edges.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Hahaha, he certainly did last pre-season as it was the first time he was considered as a Leicester player. Everyone had written him off, especially after an anonymous season on loan back at Nice.

The thing with Mendy is he's not as good as Ndidi at tackling or marshalling the space in front of the defence nor is he anywhere near as dynamic as Choudhury and then moving on to our creative midfielders we might as well discuss where they've all been on their holiday as his ability going forward doesn't even compute. So he's the sort of player that when the season starts and they start playing and the going gets tough it's really difficult to understand what on earth he's doing in the side. If Rodgers can get something extra from him then great but with a year to go on his deal and what appeared like a real desire to go back to France, it seems likely we'll accept a reasonable transfer fee for him and 10 seconds later i'll not care.

The way I see it at the end of the day if your seriously pushing to be in the top 6, having someone who simply keeps possession but offers nothing else. I personally feel a lot of the time this is Tottenhams downfall when they accommodate Harry Winks.

Fair enough a holding midfielder who looks to play forward every time like how Carrick use to is useful, but for me it’s just to easy to have someone in the side that plays sideways all game. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

Think there is enough football in those two to be able to keep the ball against the better sides?  I could see Rodgers starting a destroyer like Wilf and putting someone next to him that's calm and assured in possession and won't give the ball away easily.

Rodgers most definitely does think that.  He started Hamza and Wilf together against all three of Arsenal, Man City and Chelsea, and they played all 90' at the Etihad.

• Like 1

Ultimately Mendy is a good to average player but if we want to push on, probably wise to let go. 

Nothing wrong with that. He's tidy, capable of being steady but he can equally have a poor afternoon. The club have to consider that this is their best chance of getting any fee for him and we have a couple of prospects in waiting. 

There's a risk to let him go but not a huge risk. 

22 hours ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

The way I see it at the end of the day if your seriously pushing to be in the top 6, having someone who simply keeps possession but offers nothing else. I personally feel a lot of the time this is Tottenhams downfall when they accommodate Harry Winks.

Fair enough a holding midfielder who looks to play forward every time like how Carrick use to is useful, but for me it’s just to easy to have someone in the side that plays sideways all game. 

Harry Winks is key to a lot of what they do well and it’s very naive to say he offers nothing else!!

You can’t play all out attack. You’ll lose as many as you win. You can’t play full throttle for 90 mins. You need to maintain possession and move the game forward at the right time. He’s a very good player and will also be important for the National team in the future. 

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

The Scotsman newspaper says we failed in a Deadline Day bid to sign McGregor:-

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/brendan-rodgers-fails-in-last-gasp-20m-bid-to-bring-key-celtic-player-to-leicester-on-transfer-deadline-day-1-4980048

I can't believe that - we were negotiating all day to sign Praet - also a central Midfielder (we wouldn't be after two on the same day, especially as they were both around £20m).  I CAN believe that we were trying to sign McGregor up to very recently (perhaps last week) - and when Celtic said it was a no-go, we switched all attention on to Praet.

Edited by bald reynard
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, bald reynard said:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/brendan-rodgers-fails-in-last-gasp-20m-bid-to-bring-key-celtic-player-to-leicester-on-transfer-deadline-day-1-4980048

I can't believe that - we were negotiating all day to sign Praet - also a central Midfielder (we wouldn't be after two on the same day, especially as they were both around £20m).  I CAN believe that we were trying to sign McGregor up to very recently (perhaps last week) - and when Celtic said it was a no-go, we switched all attention on to Praet.

I can believe it if negotiations were difficult with Praet. Negotiate two and take the one that gets done. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bald reynard said:

it would be foolish to just negotiate with one person when you have a specific position that needs filling...

On 22/07/2019 at 14:02, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Hamza’s ability on the ball is underrated imo. I see what your saying but with Hamza’s pressing ability, could cause teams into panic whilst trying to press for a goal.

He's going to be a big player for us but he needs to learn to stay on his feet more. Not only are you out of the game if you miss the lunging tackle but he also runs the risks of getting sent off in the modern game.

I also think we're not making the best of his talents. While I understand his defensive talents alongside NDiddi against the big clubs.  I feel we should be giving him free rein to win the ball back higher up the pitch between Mads and Youri. Stopping the opposition getting out of defense but also from starting attacks.

He has the engine of a Ferrari and we're using him like a Lada.

• Like 2