Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bald reynard

Callum McGregor - back on ?

27 minutes ago, Haywood_6 said:

I'd personally love to see him here. 

If Rodgers thinks he's good enough then that works for me. Less than a month left in the window. We'll see

4 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

People can voice their opinions without being ignorant and condascending though, just because I'm not a Leicester fan first and foremost doesn't mean I should be subject to that.

The standard of the SPFL isn't great, I'm not disagreeing with that, it's the hyperbole, exagerration, inaccuracy and arrogance around it I took exception to.

Most seem to be in agreement with what I've said anyway.

For the record, James Fowler (who I assume you know?) has a view: 

The standard of football in the Scottish Premiership is akin to that in England's League One, according to Sunderland assistant James Fowler.

The former Kilmarnock midfielder played in the Scottish top flight for 17 years and was number two to Jack Ross at St Mirren in the Championship last term. He is now Ross' deputy at the Stadium of Light in England's third tier.

"From what we've seen so far, I'd say League One is similar to the top league in Scotland," Fowler told BBC Sport.

8 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

People can voice their opinions without being ignorant and condascending though, just because I'm not a Leicester fan first and foremost doesn't mean I should be subject to that.

The standard of the SPFL isn't great, I'm not disagreeing with that, it's the hyperbole, exagerration, inaccuracy and arrogance around it I took exception to.

Don`t listen to naysayers, those trying to belittle or get a rise out of you. You are a very welcome visitor :thumbup:

Seems some want this forum to become as "renowned" as Red Cafe....:blink:

• Like 2

Just now, mozartfox said:

For the record, James Fowler (who I assume you know?) has a view: 

The standard of football in the Scottish Premiership is akin to that in England's League One, according to Sunderland assistant James Fowler.

The former Kilmarnock midfielder played in the Scottish top flight for 17 years and was number two to Jack Ross at St Mirren in the Championship last term. He is now Ross' deputy at the Stadium of Light in England's third tier.

"From what we've seen so far, I'd say League One is similar to the top league in Scotland," Fowler told BBC Sport.

Your hardly proving the point by pasting in a single article from one player.  I could paste countless articles from players who have played in Scotland who would say the opposite as below. 

Neither really proves or disproves the point does it?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40469729

I think your missing the bones of my overall point once again, everyone has their opinion and is entitled to air that, it's a forum after all and that's what it's about, it's more the arrogant and condascending way of airing that opinion.  Not to mention the hypocrisy given on the Maguire thread the uproar at Man Utd fans sneering down their nose at Leicester in exactly the same way some on here do at every opportunity RE: Scotland and the SPFL.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Don`t listen to naysayers, those trying to belittle or get a rise out of you. You are a very welcome visitor :thumbup:

Seems some want this forum to become as "renowned" as Red Cafe....:blink:

Agree.  Please stay on the forum.  You're a welcome addition.  Some on here aren't happy unless they're gratuously insulting other contributors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, henrik_62 said:

Your hardly proving the point by pasting in a single article from one player.  I could paste countless articles from players who have played in Scotland who would say the opposite as below. 

I think your missing the bones of my overall point once again, everyone has their opinion and is entitled to air that, it's a forum after all and that's what it's about, it's more the arrogant and condascending way of airing that opinion.  Not to mention the hypocrisy given on the Maguire thread the uproar at Man Utd fans sneering down their nose at Leicester in exactly the same way some on here do at every opportunity RE: Scotland and the SPFL.

I really think you are the one missing the point.  'Some' people on here (including myself) happen to think that the SPL is not a high standard of football compared with the major leagues around Europe and English Divisions below the EPL. This is not a condescending statement it is what some people think.  You may not agree with this opinion and that is fair enough.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, henrik_62 said:

I dont think its a knock to you, you cant help who youre up against, but the players coming across tend to be at a lower standard except for the occasional gems. 

I  am curious though, with your current squad, a near famous 10 in a row squad... where do you realistically think your squad would rank in the premier league ? Not being disrespectful, just an honest opinion but I do think it would be in the relegation pile (This is due to the serious money in the premier league, obviously with your profile and premier league football you would build a much stronger team) 

6 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I dont think its a knock to you, you cant help who youre up against, but the players coming across tend to be at a lower standard except for the occasional gems. 

I  am curious though, with your current squad, a near famous 10 in a row squad... where do you realistically think your squad would rank in the premier league ? Not being disrespectful, just an honest opinion but I do think it would be in the relegation pile (This is due to the serious money in the premier league, obviously with your profile and premier league football you would build a much stronger team) 

If Celtic were in the PL they’d be getting PL dosh, so would be able to strengthen. With their huge home following they’d stand a good chance of becoming a significant force. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I get that, as I said in previous posts, I can accept the SPFL is a poor standard overall, I'm not disputing that, it's more the arrogance and the hypocrisy of some posts, most probably from people who haven't watched two minutes of it, saying the very same things they get enraged about when Man Utd fans say similar about Leicester.  Anyway, think we've laboured that enough.

With our current squad I'd say we'd be fighting relegation tbh, with decent luck with injuries I reckon we could stay up though.  With our squad of 18 months ago, including Dembele in particular and all our other top players at the top of their form I think we'd have probably done what Burnley or Newcastle done last year, around 15th-13th.  If we were in the EPL and got access to those vast riches though I reckon we'd comfortably be able to build a team that would finish mid table in the first year or two though.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

We done alright for a league 1 level club avoiding defeat against the best the EPL had to offer in Pep's Man City a couple of years ago, when they failed to beat us home and away, odd why we never got pasted like Burton Albion did last season if we're on a similar level.

We're of course nowhere near the level of a side who could compete at the top end of the EPL and most Celtic fans are fine with that, that's just the way it is but anyone who thinks we are league 1 level clearly has never bothered watching us, nor pays attention to how we have done in Europe.  Ill informed ignorance.

Football snobbery is one of the worst things going, there is a thread on here hundreds of pages long pretty much deriding Man Utd and their fans arrogance towards Leicester but in the same vein you have the gutter element on here making snidy, ill informed, unsubstantiated digs at the Scottish league whenever possible.

99% of the time there is always a team higher up in the food chain than you in football that's the way it is, some people are great at looking down and being arrogant but can't accept the same when looking up.

I realise there was an economic reason for some clubs to have plastic pitches but in the long 

run its detrimental to the S.P.L as it damages its credibility.

The players don't like them either,are there any plans to revert back to traditional pitches.

• Like 1

As a Leicester fan living in Glasgow I must admit to cringing at most of the comments on here. Lots of disrespectful stuff almost daily. However, I also have to state that I feel the current Celtic squad would battle against relegation in the EPL and I doubt it would win the championship. Of course, given time, Celtic would become a very good team down here given their size, history and infrastructure but on current squads they'd struggle. With regards to the rest of the SPL I think they probably are around League One level.  As I've said, I hate a lot of the patronising shite on here but I feel the standard of the league up here is currently at a low. 

What that doesnt mean though is that the football is boring or objectively any less valid, the arrogance from down south makes me realise why they hate the England football team up here. X 

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, notnow john said:

I realise there was an economic reason for some clubs to have plastic pitches but in the long 

run its detrimental to the S.P.L as it damages its credibility.

The players don't like them either,are there any plans to revert back to traditional pitches.

Agree entirely, those pitches are an embarrassment and I've yet to watch one decent game of football being played on them.  Like you say it really damages the credibility of the league further and I don't buy into the economic aspect of it as there are semi-pro sides up here who can maintain a decent grass pitch all year round.

I don't know of any formal plans as yet but I hope with all the bad publicity the clubs that have them's hands are forced or they get relegated.

Edited by henrik_62

5 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

As a Leicester fan living in Glasgow I must admit to cringing at most of the comments on here. Lots of disrespectful stuff almost daily. However, I also have to state that I feel the current Celtic squad would battle against relegation in the EPL and I doubt it would win the championship. Of course, given time, Celtic would become a very good team down here given their size, history and infrastructure but on current squads they'd struggle. With regards to the rest of the SPL I think they probably are around League One level.  As I've said, I hate a lot of the patronising shite on here but I feel the standard of the league up here is currently at a low. 

What that doesnt mean though is that the football is boring, the arrogance from down south makes me realise why they hate the England football team up here. X 

Nail on the head this post.

I'd disagree slightly with the rest of the SPFL bit though, maybe the bottom 3-4 teams are league one level but clubs like Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs would probably survive as mediocre championship clubs, Aberdeen for example gave Burnley a fright in the Europa League and Hibs have sold a few players that have done well in the championship in recent years, McGinn the obvious example, if anything McGinn looks a far better player this season when I've watched him than he did with Hibs.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mozartfox said:

Look Pal coming on the LCFC forum and calling some FT Members something from the 'gutter' (because they think the standard of the SPL is not great), is not really on in my opinion.  The post you quoted actually said it was the 'league' that was League 1 standard, not frigging Celtic.  May be reel your neck in a bit as people on here are entitled to their opinions, as indeed are you.   

Stop being a cock, your slating of Scottish football is becoming personal.

2 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

There’s an ignore button if he gets too much.

• Like 4

Just now, hackneyfox said:

Stop being a cock, your slating of Scottish football is becoming personal.

There’s an ignore button if he gets too much.

I will not bother to respond your abusive insult.  Personal WTF? Thanks for tip about the ignore button.

1 minute ago, hackneyfox said:

You just responded.

Not to your insult I didn't.  Accusations of getting personal and insulting them in the same sentence is just surreal.  Good night. Definitely no more responses to you.

The standard of the SPFL can only be expressed as opinion. It hasn't been (and can't be) tested.

Much like the circular big club, small club debate that won't be factual until someone comes up with a formular. 

For what it's worth, for me, I really don't care if I'm watching the best or worst league as it doesn't take the highest standard of football to make an entertaining match. See the thread about our days in League One.

• Like 3