Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bald reynard

Callum McGregor - back on ?

1 minute ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Yeah, I think there would be an element of greed in it. 

We dont necessarily need him and I honestly (with respect) can't see him being signed as a starter but if we do get a winger in and there is a bit left over, I would love to have him as he'd improve our squad massively. 

Can't disagree with any of this.

Hopefully there is no money left over after a winger lol!

• Like 1

Just now, henrik_62 said:

I hope you don't sign him obviously for selfish reasons lol!  I'd say Perez exudes the same versatility across the forward positions however whereas McGregor is the same but across the midfield positions.

Midfield positions are not something we are currently lacking though and hence why i think it would be greedy. I watched more Celtic this season than in my whole life (due to Benko being there) and he is a great player for you guys i'm sure if he came here it would be good for rotation purposes only but i cant see a player like him coming if thats all that was on offer? 

Pretty sure its paper bollocks and only down to BR being our current manager. 

I want a winger and i want a winger NOW! :P 

Would be nice for squad depth, but think a wide player is more pressing.

If we got him and a quality wide player, Rogers will be under pressure to produce the goods as he have a great squad at his disposal.

Edited by coolhandfox

Guest SO1
44 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Given Ntcham looks definitely for the off given his recent comments, can't see any way back for him, if we were to lose both him and McGregor it would need to happen soon as we'd need to undertake significant surgery of our midfield.

The board wouldn't be stupid enough to put themselves in another Dembele situation like last season nor would the fans stand for it, then you add in McGregor just signed a new five year contract at Christmas.

If the McGregor to Leicester move is going to happen it'll need to happen soon imo or Celtic will dig their heels in.

Thanks. Didn't know about Ntcham. Looks extremely doubtful now for McGregor. He'd have to raise some serious crap to get out of there.

Does Celtic have any other midfielders in the pipeline or transfer wish list? Surprised they wouldn't be ready for Ntcham leaving. Lawwell better get to work.

20 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

wondering if the possible investment in squad depth at a decent level reflects we may see more starting line up rotation than we are used to reflecting us playing at a higher tempo and players needing a week off from time to time 

I would be surprised at this tbh. From what I recall of Rodgers at Celtic, he didn't really rotate very often when he didnt need to. (Maybe @henrik_62 can confirm)

Granted, the EPL is more demanding in any given game, Celtic play far more game than we do each year. 

Edited by Foxy_Bear
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

wondering if the possible investment in squad depth at a decent level reflects we may see more starting line up rotation than we are used to reflecting us playing at a higher tempo and players needing a week off from time to time 

This is an interesting point and I'm curious to see how Rodgers approaches this as our first season (the invincible one) he rotated very little, yet in the next two he rotated probably too much.  I guess with no European football there shouldn't be too much need to rotate all that much other than the League Cup and that sort of thing.

20 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Midfield positions are not something we are currently lacking though and hence why i think it would be greedy. I watched more Celtic this season than in my whole life (due to Benko being there) and he is a great player for you guys i'm sure if he came here it would be good for rotation purposes only but i cant see a player like him coming if thats all that was on offer? 

Pretty sure its paper bollocks and only down to BR being our current manager. 

Yeah I agree I think a winger should defo be the priority for you guys, I obviously don't want to lose McGregor anyway.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Thanks. Didn't know about Ntcham. Looks extremely doubtful now for McGregor. He'd have to raise some serious crap to get out of there.

Does Celtic have any other midfielders in the pipeline or transfer wish list? Surprised they wouldn't be ready for Ntcham leaving. Lawwell better get to work.

We're being linked with Quintero, young midfielder from the Ecuadorian side who finished third at the U20 world cup just there.  I also wouldn't be surprised if the Turnbull deal was resurrected at some point.

Can't see a place in the starting line-up for him and I think would spell the end of Mendy here but would be happy with adding another decent player of course. 

Just hope it wouldn't be at the expense of Choudary as he was brilliant for us last season when called upon.

Fee is key in this deal I imagine, and Celtic may demand a big sum! I think a top winger should be priority

17 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I would be surprised at this tbh. From what I recall of Rodgers at Celtic, he didn't really rotate very often when he didnt need to. (Maybe henrik_62 can confirm)

Granted, the EPL is more demanding in any given game, Celtic play far more game than we do each year. 

Yeah like I said he didn't really the first season then the next two probably more than he should have.

I don't think he'll be too big on rotation next season what with no European football.

Perhaps he's looking for someone more capable on the ball than N'didi for those games that we are expecting to dominate. I can understand the logic, when we are 1-0 down to a lower level side, it is frustrating having Wilf on the pitch sometimes. 

• Like 3

Just now, Lambert09 said:

Perhaps he's looking for someone more capable on the ball than N'didi for those games that we are expecting to dominate. I can understand the logic, when we are 1-0 down to a lower level side, it is frustrating having Wilf on the pitch sometimes. 

Makes sense. Mendy only ever plays it simple and Choudary has great energy but again, lacks creativity. If henrik_62 is accurate and £15-20m gets him, would be a smart signing. I just think Celtic are in a strong position with him just signing a new contract and them likely not wanting to lose one of their best players. Add to that the way it may upset their supporters even more due to it being BR and Leicester, then the fee may go up to a point where it just doesn't make sense anymore! 

1 hour ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Wouldnt this be a bit of a greedy signing? As @henrik_62 has noted one of his best attributes is versatility. Surely we have that now with Perez? 

If we have any funds left (which i would be shocked if we do, considering the amount already spent) wouldnt we be better going for an out an out winger and fill the weakest part of our current 11? 

i think a signing like this would depend on maguire being sold.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

We know, Suzie.  We understand.  But you want something

along the lines of    isco.JPG.e6b588a25048f96e150d6a6639af0c5e.JPG   or   asensio.JPG.29d3838a713461f6d9a1e45fbcd9cbf3.JPG   , while the rest of us

are thinking more   ziyech.JPG.d4fa356077dc003e05de6671226e7e8e.JPG   or   Mendez.JPG.110035d0e0e7873ff6a280502d5e58aa.JPG  

... possibly for different purposes?

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

For that sort of money for a player that has only ever played in Scotland would be an awfully big risk.  

He's scored goals and put in man of the match performances against the likes of Bayern Munich, Zenit, Monchengladbach, etc, etc.

Every signing is a risk, McGregor is no more of a risk, probably less than blowing £20m on someone like Silva who has been a total flop and has no resale value and who is on a wage no one else will pay him.

I'd trust Rodgers judgement on this one given he worked with the player day in day out for nigh on three years, that in itself reduces the risk significantly.

• Like 1