Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bald reynard

Callum McGregor - back on ?

2 minutes ago, Haywood_6 said:

I really hope that he's still on our Target list. I'd be gutted if he goes to another PL club. Great player

This isn't any ITK information or anything like that but I'd be amazed if he left within the next 12 months and ended up anywhere else apart from Leicester tbh.

24 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

I've heard similar too for months.  However, I think it's been left too late in the day now, if the board sold him now there would be a full on mutiny and I don't think they would be prepared to suffer that given the fans are already on their back due to lack of spending.  I might very well end up with egg on my face but if this was going to happen I think it would have had to have happened much earlier in the window.

I bet it would be a deep-fried creme egg...

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

This isn't any ITK information or anything like that but I'd be amazed if he left within the next 12 months and ended up anywhere else apart from Leicester tbh.

Did he publicly state he wanted to come to LCFC in all those linked paper reports?

9 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Nah he's never said anything publicly at all.  He's not long signed a new five year deal.

https://www.67hailhail.com/opinion/has-neil-lennon-hinted-at-a-new-improved-contract-for-callum-mcgregor/

Keep him happy at all costs seems to be the managers hint to the board but if he says he wants out do you think circa £20 million might do it?

Oh and of course Danny Simpson on trial - don’t be forgetting our element of generous ‘good will’ toward your club.

33 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

He's a bit different, we've already spent £3.5m this window on a LB which says to me he's Tierney's replacement as we don't tend to spend that sort of money on back-up players.

Tbh all the Tierney stuff has really caught me by surprise this window as I thought out them all he'd be the last one to go this summer but it seems the club are prepared to do business if his valuation is met (£25-30m up-front) and it's then down to him to decide.

If he does leave I really hope he doesn't go to those penny pinching, shithouses Arsenal.  Napoli strongly interested also by all accounts and may see them make their move once the transfer domino starts to take effect over in Italy.  Latest one in the last few days is that Spurs are after him too and plan to sell Rose and replace him with Tierney.

That makes sense with Spurs, I've been struggling to get my head around what they are up to but Tierney would be the obvious choice. Ryan Sessegnon as a left back in the Prem seems very suspect to me, he's an out and out winger at the highest level surely.

1 minute ago, Swan Lesta said:

https://www.67hailhail.com/opinion/has-neil-lennon-hinted-at-a-new-improved-contract-for-callum-mcgregor/

Keep him happy at all costs seems to be the managers hint to the board but if he says he wants out do you think circa £20 million might do it?

Oh and of course Danny Simpson on trial - don’t be forgetting our element of generous ‘good will’ toward your club.

I think £20m would have done it yes, but I don't think he'll go now, too late in the window and we're in the midst of our CL qualifiers now and along with Eduoard he's our most important player.

Haha tbh Simpson would probably do a job for us for a season or two if he can prove his fitness.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

That makes sense with Spurs, I've been struggling to get my head around what they are up to but Tierney would be the obvious choice. Ryan Sessegnon as a left back in the Prem seems very suspect to me, he's an out and out winger at the highest level surely.

Yeah agree 100% with regards Sessegnon, never a LB in a million years anytime I've watched him.  Furthermore, I know there's a fair bit of a hype about him but most times I seen him last year he looked like he struggled with the EPL to me.  I get he's still young and that may come but the fee being spoke about for him is crazy imo given he struggled in the EPL last season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Devonfox1884 said:

Mate Danny Simpson would be invaluable for you guys I reckon. In Europe in recent years I’ve noticed your defensive fragility as one of your biggest downfalls, and I don’t think there are many better out-and-out defensive full backs than Simmo out there. Would be a very astute piece of business by you guys I think. 

Yeah I'd be quite happy with him tbh if his fitness was up to scratch.  Your spot on about our defensive frailties in Europe lately.

Just now, henrik_62 said:

Yeah I'd be quite happy with him tbh if his fitness was up to scratch.  Your spot on about our defensive frailties in Europe lately.

To be fair to Simmo, he’s been working really hard with a PT in LA to make sure he’s ready for whoever comes calling.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

That's an absolute crap website in my opinion. Read a story last night about the goaltenders hoofing the ball up the field to take pressure off the defense.

No more playing from the back. All the work Rodgers and his staff put into their style of play. I don't believe it.

1 hour ago, henrik_62 said:

I've heard similar too for months.  However, I think it's been left too late in the day now, if the board sold him now there would be a full on mutiny and I don't think they would be prepared to suffer that given the fans are already on their back due to lack of spending.  I might very well end up with egg on my face but if this was going to happen I think it would have had to have happened much earlier in the window.

I've wondered if Leicester buy McGregor and Choudhury goes to Celtic on loan for a season would be a goer? 

Just now, Gerard said:

I've wondered if Leicester buy McGregor and Choudhury goes to Celtic on loan for a season would be a goer? 

I’d like to see Choudhury getting some first team action at LCFC, Mendy leaving and he being Ndidi’s challenger in the DM role but if it’s not going to happen I could see him out on loan but I’d prefer him to stay here - I think he’s an extra option for BR to close games out and take off one of YT or JM or a Winger.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I’d like to see Choudhury getting some first team action at LCFC, Mendy leaving and he being Ndidi’s challenger in the DM role but if it’s not going to happen I could see him out on loan but I’d prefer him to stay here - I think he’s an extra option for BR to close games out and take off one of YT or JM or a Winger.

Just thinking if we signed McGregor and Mendy stayed.

McGregor would be first reserve for Maddison and Tielemans. I could also see McGregor starting ahead of Ndidi as the holding midfielder in home games against teams that we expect to beat and might expect to get 60%+ possession. 

If Mendy is still here it's hard to see Choudhury getting enough game time. Personally I'm happy to sell the likes of Mendy who aren't getting any better and don't warrant a place in the first XI when there are younger players with potential who could fill his role in the squad. 

22 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Just thinking if we signed McGregor and Mendy stayed.

McGregor would be first reserve for Maddison and Tielemans. I could also see McGregor starting ahead of Ndidi as the holding midfielder in home games against teams that we expect to beat and might expect to get 60%+ possession. 

If Mendy is still here it's hard to see Choudhury getting enough game time. Personally I'm happy to sell the likes of Mendy who aren't getting any better and don't warrant a place in the first XI when there are younger players with potential who could fill his role in the squad. 

I believe Hamza is ahead of Mendy in BR mind. Purely for his work ethic & aggressive nature off the ball. 

Edited by Bluearmyfox28

37 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

I believe Hamza is ahead of Mendy in BR mind. Purely for his work ethic & aggressive nature off the ball. 

Not so sure of that. Mendy has been playing well  pre season and if we are trying to close out a game he is a better bet than Hamza IMO at present as he is calm on the ball and a tidy player. Hamza still needs to get the odd rush of blood out of his system yet which is not what you need when hanging on to a slender lead. That said if I was starting with 2 DM against the stronger sides then I would start with Choudhry and Wilf.

Edited by urban fox

16 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Not so sure of that. Mendy has been playing well  pre season and if we are trying to close out a game he is a better bet than Hamza IMO at present as he is calm on the ball and a tidy player. Hamza still needs to get the odd rush of blood out of his system yet which is not what you need when hanging on to a slender lead. That said if I was starting with 2 DM against the stronger sides then I would start with Choudhry and Wilf.

Think there is enough football in those two to be able to keep the ball against the better sides?  I could see Rodgers starting a destroyer like Wilf and putting someone next to him that's calm and assured in possession and won't give the ball away easily.

2 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Think there is enough football in those two to be able to keep the ball against the better sides?  I could see Rodgers starting a destroyer like Wilf and putting someone next to him that's calm and assured in possession and won't give the ball away easily.

It looks like Rodgers is trying to get Papy to play a bit further upfield from what I have seen in pre season so far.  As a pairing him and Wilf never really worked under Puel as both trying to play in the same space. Ndidi is always going to be first choice for the destroyer role. Hamza could actually learn a lot from Mendy in terms of how to keep and recycle the  ball doing the simple  things and keeping calm

58 minutes ago, urban fox said:

I think that's a bit presumptious, is it based on that horrific challenge he did in the Euros? That's literally the only evidence of Choudhury losing his head and if we are only going to base this on one occasion we could cast our mind back to the Southampton home game last season when Mendy committed an early penalty followed by several rash challenges that looked destined to result in a red and he got away with it before being dragged.

There was a stas bomb thing showing Choudhury's game compared to Ndidi's and it's very interesting. It would suggest that it's merely a matter of time before Choudhury challenges him properly for that DM role. I still think there's a requirement for both and Mendy in the squad or if Mendy goes then another combative central midfielder, possibly with a bit more ability going forward.

• Like 1