Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
daventry_fox

Embarrassing fans

On Saturday, August 03, 2019 at 22:47, Line-X said:

What's up?...are they still singing that Vichai's dream crap? 

Just so I can keep up to date with what's acceptable and not embarassing, why is a tribute song to our beloved late chairman crap? 

Guest MattP

The opening poster had it spot on, a fan base that idolised Sven and Holloway but was often vocally critical of Pearson and MON. We must have more than our fair share of morons.

Now we've got a fanbase whose expectations are totally out of control for the coming season and I can see that turning ridiculous - we'll be sat in seventh or something and they'll be calling for Rodgers head for not challenging for top four when are barely making a net spend in the transfer window.

1 minute ago, Voll Blau said:

I'm not saying it's not a tribute, I'm saying it's not a great tribute.

1. Most clubs now sing a version of "...had a dream" and did before our version appeared. Therefore it's not unique, and leads to situations like Wolves away last season where a song that ought to genuinely mean something to us is being outsung by 30k Yam Yams singing their own version about a Portuguese man signing players at 30 times the volume.

2. The lyrics are shit in the second half of the song. "We play from the back, the counter attack". It means fvck all. Just because something rhymes doesn't mean it's good.

3. After the initial gusto, it's now sung very half-heartedly most of the time. A fitting tribute? Absolutely not.

You'll get stick for saying that, but you're right. 

2 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

1. Most clubs now sing a version of "...had a dream" and did before our version appeared. Therefore it's not unique, and leads to situations like Wolves away last season where a song that ought to genuinely mean something to us is being outsung by 30k Yam Yams singing their own version about a Portuguese man signing players at 30 times the volume.

2. The lyrics are shit in the second half of the song. "We play from the back, the counter attack". It means fvck all. Just because something rhymes doesn't mean it's good.

3. After the initial gusto, it's now sung very half-heartedly most of the time. A fitting tribute? Absolutely not.

Not many football songs make sense though do they?

As an obvious lyricist and chant connoiseur , I truly look forward to your suggestions on acceptable, less embarrasing songs in the new chant thread.

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

Not many football songs make sense though do they?

As an obvious lyricist and chant connoiseur , I truly look forward to your suggestions on acceptable, less embarrasing songs in the new chant thread.

We play from the back 

We all wear pink hats

A £1 transaction free

Can't wait to pay that

13 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

It's one of our best chants, everyone knows the words and usually it's belted out.

Who gives a shit if other clubs sing the same tune? The desire to be unique often results in miserable, half arsed chants sung to tunes nobody knows.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

It's one of our best chants, everyone knows the words and usually it's belted out.

Who gives a shit if other clubs sing the same tune? The desire to be unique often results in miserable, half arsed chants sung to tunes nobody knows.

Makes no odds to me. Hardly makes for a decent tribute if any time you sing it the oppo start belting out their version louder though does it?

Just now, Voll Blau said:

Makes no odds to me. Hardly makes for a decent tribute if any time you sing it the oppo start belting out their version louder though does it?

When there's 3k away fans and 30k home fans thats always going to happen.

Wait for Sunday when Wolves fans start singing it, they'll be drowned out instantly.

34 minutes ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

Just so I can keep up to date with what's acceptable and not embarassing, why is a tribute song to our beloved late chairman crap? 

Because the words are shit, it sounds dreadful, and he very possibly deserved an original as opposed to a generic badly adapted hackneyed version of the inevitable Sloop John B which let's also remember has been used from everything from Nuno's Portuguese renaissance to Jason Puncheon going for a shit. 

Merely my opinion though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Because the words are shit, it sounds dreadful, and he very possibly deserved an original as opposed to a generic badly adapted hackneyed version of the inevitable Sloop John B which let's also remember has been used from everything from Nuno's Portuguese renaissance to Jason Puncheon going for a shit. 

As the late great Tony Wilson said 'You're entitled to an opinion ....' ;)

4 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Kevin Russel may have had issues with his baldness though? 

I'm pretty sure Iwan didn't wear a Welshmans hat or live in a council flat next to Joachim, nor did a certain Spaniard buy a property on the Saffron Lane.

Wes certainly doesn't hate Forest and our beloved football club, despite how much we love them, aren't the greatest the world has ever seen.

I could go on and on but I'm sure you get the point, imo some pf the prissy ultra long 'modern' songs are far too complicated and unsupported to catch on.

I feel simplicity and humour are key with good football chants but ala my reply to Vol I really look forward to seeing your lyrical, trendy and unique compositions.

48 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

When there's 3k away fans and 30k home fans thats always going to happen.

Wait for Sunday when Wolves fans start singing it, they'll be drowned out instantly.

Like your optimism. Hope you are proved correct.

However I have my doubts.

47 minutes ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

Kevin Russel may have had issues with his baldness though? 

I'm pretty sure Iwan didn't wear a Welshmans hat or live in a council flat next to Joachim, nor did a certain Spaniard buy a property on the Saffron Lane.

Wes certainly doesn't hate Forest and our beloved football club, despite how much we love them, aren't the greatest the world has ever seen.

I could go on and on but I'm sure you get the point, imo some pf the prissy ultra long 'modern' songs are far too complicated and unsupported to catch on.

I feel simplicity and humour are key with good football chants but ala my reply to Vol I really look forward to seeing your lyrical, trendy and unique compositions.

And pointedly, I also noticed that when Andy King, bless him, get's the ball he doesn't necessarily score a goal; that Andrej Kramarić was anything but a "wizard on the pitch" and that Leonardo Ulloa didn't actually cost a ****ing fortune in relative terms. Arguably, Cambiasso wasn't actually magic - or Carrick come to that - just a bloody good experienced football player in the twilight of his career who was a complete blessing to us and transpired to be a very astute free acquisition that year.

Of course football chants are crass and kitsch but also catchy, particularly when they are original. If you are content with a crap generic knock off/derivation of Nuno's dream as an afterthought - with shitter lyrics as an obligatory terrace tribute to our diseased chairman every Saturday, then who am I to question you? As I said to Finnegan on another thread, who touched on some excellent points about football snobbery, it's only a chant; but I'd maintain Vichai warranted bespoke and better. That's all. 

• Like 1

On 03/08/2019 at 20:23, daventry_fox said:

Does anybody else cringe at the state of our fans on social media?

Some of the comments I read is just embarrassing and it now looks like they're trying to start a rivalry off with man utd. 

Why can't our fans just thank a player when they move and move on?

Bear a thought for Arsenal fans.

AFTV – as it's now "rebranded" – has 1 million followers on youtube. Most of whom, I'd guess, are only there for light entertainment and to laugh at the absolute state of them all.

46 minutes ago, Line-X said:

And pointedly, I also noticed that when Andy King, bless him, get's the ball he doesn't necessarily score a goal; that Andrej Kramarić was anything but a "wizard on the pitch" and that Leonardo Ulloa didn't actually cost a ****ing fortune in relative terms. Arguably, Cambiasso wasn't actually magic - or Carrick come to that - just a bloody good experienced football player in the twilight of his career who was a complete blessing to us and transpired to be a very astute free acquisition that year.

Of course football chants are crass and kitsch but also catchy, particularly when they are original. If you are content with a crap generic knock off/derivation of Nuno's dream as an afterthought - with shitter lyrics as an obligatory terrace tribute to our diseased chairman every Saturday, then who am I to question you? As I said to Finnegan on another thread, who touched on some excellent points about football snobbery, it's only a chant; but I'd maintain Vichai warranted bespoke and better. That's all. 

You amplified my point wonderfully lol

and yes they are crass and often that's the appeal, I actually like the banter /taunting chants aimed at  opposition players and fans, like say Rooneys 'fat granny shagger' 

I love the fact you want better for Vichai even though you called him diseased :D

Get your creative juices flowing and pen that masterpiece for Vichai and I will belt it out in honour of our beloved late chairman.