Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
daventry_fox

Embarrassing fans

Just had a browse on Twitter and I'd say United fans are putting our fans in the shade when it comes to twatiness. They're a whole new level of cringe. I love Harry but you'd think they'd signed peak Franz Beckenbauer.

Edited by Paddy.
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

I honestly used to think that we had shocking fans. They pined for the Bloomfield days but forgot that they'd called for him to be fired. They booed Milne. They quite liked Hamilton. When Little revived the club, they spat at him months before we won promotion, to the point where he said 'I decided, there and then, that I'd leave whenever I could'. After 12 weeks of O'Neill - perhaps our best manager - they demanded his sacking. They liked Allen and Ollie and Sven. They constantly whined about Pearson, and still do, even though he took us from the third tier to EPL safety, and assembled a side (and began the run of form) which delivered one of history's greatest sporting achievements.

It's nothing new. My granddad told me that fans celebrated the sackings of Willie Orr, who took us to 2nd, and Matt Gillies.

In fact, I thought, they seemed to have demonised - at some point or another - nearly all of the club's best ever managers, and worshiped some of the worst way beyond the point when it ceased to make sense. As for players, I heard our fans booing David Oldfield's name every week when it was announced - for years! Okay, you may say, he wasn't much good - so I recommend you do a search of Foxestalk threads about Vardy, Schmeichel, Lineker et al. In Obama's words, we're a circular firing squad at times.

It's thanks to social media that I started to look at other forums and truly appreciate the extent to which every fanbase has its idiots. I suppose the error is to judge a whole body of people on what a loud minority has to say. And, looking back, I think our fans' demanding nature, or tendency to have ideas way above their station, was part of our success.

That said, some of the views on the Maguire signing have been laughable. All the chest-thumping about us opening the cheque book to get in amongst the big boys, the goading of Man U fans, the over-sensitivity to their fans' arrogance, the misplaced certainty that we'd keep our man, or the insistence that we never needed him anyway. It's daft, but the truth is that you get it everywhere.

I find it hard to believe people spat at Brian Little prior to our promotion 

1 hour ago, daventry_fox said:

Yeah that's why I give it a day or 2 after a bad result before I go online and comment. Knee jerk comments are definitely the worst offenders. 

I'm in a east Midlands banter group on Facebook called the forest, Leicester, derby warzone. It's a laugh generally but most of our lot on their take things personally and don't understand the concept of football p*ss taking 

Yea that’s why I try to stay clear of Leicester involved stuff. I’m on a couple of fan pages with only Leicester fans and they can be bad enough. Always the same couple of people as well. 

1 hour ago, dayday said:

I find it hard to believe people spat at Brian Little prior to our promotion 

It was well covered at the time, and he spoke about it in an interview some years back, explaining that he decided then that he'd leave when he got the chance.

It was as he went down the tunnel at half time. Can't remember the specific match.

10 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

It was well covered at the time, and he spoke about it in an interview some years back, explaining that he decided then that he'd leave when he got the chance.

It was as he went down the tunnel at half time. Can't remember the specific match.

It was at home to Grimsby, when we were losing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, daventry_fox said:

Does anybody else cringe at the state of our fans on social media?

Some of the comments I read is just embarrassing and it now looks like they're trying to start a rivalry off with man utd. 

Why can't our fans just thank a player when they move and move on?

Every club has them but that twat who vlogs at our games who thinks he something special can get in the bin.

• Like 1

cringe massively yeah but think social media amplifies this

a few years ago before twitter etc these people existed but didn't have a mouthpiece, the demographic that views the team through FIFA statistics and trying to one-up each other in the playground wouldn't ring radio phone-ins etc, where as now every kid has a twitter or facebook and can post their view

• Like 1

11 hours ago, inckley fox said:

I honestly used to think that we had shocking fans. They pined for the Bloomfield days but forgot that they'd called for him to be fired. They booed Milne. They quite liked Hamilton. When Little revived the club, they spat at him months before we won promotion, to the point where he said 'I decided, there and then, that I'd leave whenever I could'. After 12 weeks of O'Neill - perhaps our best manager - they demanded his sacking. They liked Allen and Ollie and Sven. They constantly whined about Pearson, and still do, even though he took us from the third tier to EPL safety, and assembled a side (and began the run of form) which delivered one of history's greatest sporting achievements.

It's nothing new. My granddad told me that fans celebrated the sackings of Willie Orr, who took us to 2nd, and Matt Gillies.

In fact, I thought, they seemed to have demonised - at some point or another - nearly all of the club's best ever managers, and worshiped some of the worst way beyond the point when it ceased to make sense. As for players, I heard our fans booing David Oldfield's name every week when it was announced - for years! Okay, you may say, he wasn't much good - so I recommend you do a search of Foxestalk threads about Vardy, Schmeichel, Lineker et al. In Obama's words, we're a circular firing squad at times.

It's thanks to social media that I started to look at other forums and truly appreciate the extent to which every fanbase has its idiots. I suppose the error is to judge a whole body of people on what a loud minority has to say. And, looking back, I think our fans' demanding nature, or tendency to have ideas way above their station, was part of our success.

That said, some of the views on the Maguire signing have been laughable. All the chest-thumping about us opening the cheque book to get in amongst the big boys, the goading of Man U fans, the over-sensitivity to their fans' arrogance, the misplaced certainty that we'd keep our man, or the insistence that we never needed him anyway. It's daft, but the truth is that you get it everywhere.

Amazing post that sums it all up nicely. Good stuff. :scarf:

The only thing I disagree with is the Maguire stuff. Some social media goblins obviously take it too far, but the base points are still valid - we've just pulled down the pants of the self-declared "biggest club in the world" to somehow make Slabhead the most expensive defender in football history, on the back of a season that was hit-and-miss at best. We were completely in control of the whole saga and have probably forced them to pay £30-35 million more than he's actually worth, even in this market - and I agree with the notion that, with other CBs in the wings, we'll be fine without him. With that in mind, I don't blame the troglodyte portion of our fanbase for giving it the biggun, even if their belief that it somehow makes us a major force is misplaced. This transfer only further proves that times are desperate at Old Trafford.

All that said, yes, our fanbase is weird. Strangely, I think the fanbase's dislike of Puel is probably the first and only time unrest in the stands has actually mirrored the goings-on both on and off the pitch. Even Shakespeare got a bit of a free pass for Sevilla and being part of Nigel's magic team.

• Like 1

Guest Markyblue

Reality check, we are no better or worse than any other teams fan base. We just notice what our fans say, nice people and complete knobheads make up every teams fans.

11 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Our fans are becoming a bit Arsenal-like on social media.

We seem to have so many of them "football accounts" that just post pure shite. I saw something like "announce [player name]" on the Banks article the other day. Wierdos.

8 hours ago, Ashley said:

Every club has them but that twat who vlogs at our games who thinks he something special can get in the bin.

I can understand why he might annoy you.

I actually weirdly am fond of him. It's obvious that he's passionate about doing it as some sort of hobby and it brings him joy so I won't begrudge him that ... I quite like looking at the video leading up to the grounds, you get a sense of the occasion. 

I don't know if it's just me being a bit soft but anyone else find there are some right nasty people about at our away games? There's people that make me feel very uncomfortable and it takes my mind off the game sometimes... It's normally not the loud and raucous fans, it's like we have this cohort of really shifty quiet angry fans that don't seem to take an interest in the game just give off this awful aura where I can't wait to get away from them but I can't because I'm stuck with them for 90 mins... 

• Like 1