Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Silva Fox

Have we progressed this window?

In light of Praet signing I think we need to see our intended formation before we can say if we’ve made much progress. If it’s 442 with wingers then no we haven’t really made much progress. We’ve had a good window, but our competitors have too. 

Of course we’ve signed Tielemans but we had him on loan anyway so signing him only guaranteed we didn’t regress. Perez is definitely progress from Shinji. 

Think we’ve had a good but not spectacular summer. We’ve added goals in Perez and obviously secured Youri permanently which is a massive surprise. It’s all about how well Soyuncu/Benkovic steps up now, don’t want to put too much pressure on the young pair but if they can cover (not replace!) Maguire we look well placed.

We obviously need to move more deadwood on but expect we’ll see a fair few loans/cut price moves to Europe over the coming weeks.

Its a big season for us and getting into Europe looks like the key to not losing the likes of Chilwell, Pereirra, Ndidi and Youri next summer. I’ll remain cautiously optimistic but can’t help feeling we may concede a few too many (individual mistakes from two learning CBs) and not quite score enough (Barnes, Albrighton and Gray I’m looking at you!) to make it.

I think we have done some good business but i feel we may lack goals mostly if Vardy gets injured. 

I would have loved a winger in, sadly none of our wingers have a serious goal threat. 

One of them needs to step up this season and find the back of the net more. 

7 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

He could have been a very cheap option on a free. Personally I'd have found a younger option who would have cost very little.

I think you might be making the classic mistake of confusing a goal scorer as a striker. Anyone of eleven players can score a goal.

Does that make them a Striker. I'll answer that, it doesn't. It's a different skill set playing with your back to goal.

No player ever wants to be on the bench but It's part of the game. Hadn't we got 5 CB for 2 positions Yet we think it's ok to go into the season with just Nacho.

Perez is a good player and I do rate him.  He may well go on to be as good as Vardy for us, But as of now he's still unproven here.

Was  Lukaku  a success at Utd and look what he cost. Coutino at Barca are these bad players, no they're not. That's the point I keep making.

Every signing is a risk until they start delivering, and the same applies to Perez and anyone else we sign

Yes Maddison and Tielemans could get double figures but they'll be a bonus. Like when a CB comes forward and scores.

Whereas Vardy is expected to score and get double figures.

Another way to look at it is they may not and no one will think any the less of them. But if Vardy doesn't get double figures he'll be considered a failure and we'll be in trouble.

Barnes is improving but he's not ready yet. It's also unfair to put too much expectation on Barnes, He's a young lad and is still learning.

If anything his task has got even harder because the squad is getting stronger with higher expectation from everyone.  Unfortunately for him I think he may be back to cameo appearances.

Don't be surprised if you see more of Hamza than Barnes and others this season.

I can see what Rogers is trying to do but I just fear he may come unstuck in some games. Remember he came up short at Liverpool and he had Sturridge Suaraz and Sterling up front.

At the end of the day it's all about Goals, how many you can score and how many you can keep out.

I think we'll do ok against the good teams and struggle against the physical teams. 

On the other hand if Perez can deliver double figures along with Vardy Then we should be smiling.

I don't know if you missed it, but we did sign Ali Reghba and George Hirst - two young strikers who cost very little. I doubt they'll be considered for the first team any time soon, but who knows? Maybe one of them is the next big thing.

How could you possibly come to the conclusion that I have confused someone who scores a goal with a striker? That's not rhetorical. I would like to know. I pointed out that Perez, who you don't regard as a striker, had a better scoring record at Newcastle than Welbeck, who you do regard as a striker, had at Arsenal. So, are you telling me that you'd still prefer Welbeck, purely because he fits your own definition of a striker, and it's nothing to do with his goal record? What's more important? Goals, or having a player who fits your own, arbitrary idea of what makes a striker?

You're missing my point. No decent striker will join us to sit on the bench and wait for an injury to Vardy. You're expecting the club to do something it can't.

You keep saying you rate Perez, but you clearly don't, because you keep saying there's no cover for Vardy. There is. He is it.

I do not know what you mean re: Lukaku and Coutinho. It seems like you're pointing out that good players can flop at certain clubs as a way of explaining why you don't regard Perez to be a good backup to Vardy. My point is, why does this not seem to apply to Welbeck, or anyone else you'd have liked the club to sign as backup to Vardy? What is the difference between Welbeck and Perez? If we had signed Welbeck, would you suddenly not regard him as a striker? If not, why not?

I agree to a point regarding midfielders scoring and goals being expected of Vardy. However, the team scoring is the important thing. As long as Vardy is playing well and the team is scoring goals, it's not at all important who gets them. Let's say Vardy got around 30 assists this season, but didn't score any himself. He wouldn't be regarded as a failure, would he?

I agree re: Barnes. It is important that we don't put too much pressure on him. I am glad that he's in and around the first team, though. I want him to get plenty of minutes this season. He'll improve quicker that way.

No manager is perfect, but I think Rodgers is a very good one and we're lucky to have him.

I can see why you might think we'll struggle against physical teams. We have got quite a diminutive team who probably won't be the best on set-pieces. However, I'm sure we will be better at dispatching those sides. We struggled against the shithouse sides last season, but we now have a much improved midfield, and a better manager, and I can see us passing those sides to death now.

To sum up: I don't think you're being fair to the club. You're complaining that there's no backup to Vardy when they've just shelled out £30m for Newcastle's top scorer. Using your own reasoning, I don't think it's possible for the club to win. You say you want better cover for Vardy, but when they bring someone in, you can just say they've proved nothing and you can disregard their ability to play as a striker.

13 hours ago, FireFox said:

We bought them last summer.  

Having a preseason with Rodgers, Barnes, Hamza, Tielemans, etc. should "progress" us more in this window than what many expect.

Well Brendan statements suggest they may not be the level he would expect, and definitely not the level of what we had.  This suggest the defence will be weaker

Some of our players are another year more experienced which hopefully helps. Not replacing Maguire with someone more proven could be our undoing to make top 7 this season.

Having said that, soyuncu/benkovic could turn out to be decent enough replacements to help cover the loss of Maguire.

Our beloved donkey iheanacho is a few seasons over due to prove he can score. I know its far fetched but as he is still a Leicester player i really hope he discovers form and turns into the player we had hoped for. Yes, i am reaching but trying to believe! I suppose the same could be said about Slimani.

Overall i'd call it a decent window for us. Whether we progressed is yet to be determined.

Just now, Jattdogg said:

I suppose the same could be said about Slimani.

No. After that embarrassment at thew AFCON trophy celebrations and overall sour attitude, I have no room for it. He is so unlike-able.

Just now, Simoken said:

No. After that embarrassment at thew AFCON trophy celebrations and overall sour attitude, I have no room for it. He is so unlike-able.

I don't disagree but if we dont get rid then he is on our books unfortunately and needs to earn that cash.  If the owners really felt as annoyed as a lot of us they would have cut their losses. I suppose they still have time to with other leagues transfer windows still open.

3 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

I don't know if you missed it, but we did sign Ali Reghba and George Hirst - two young strikers who cost very little. I doubt they'll be considered for the first team any time soon, but who knows? Maybe one of them is the next big thing.

How could you possibly come to the conclusion that I have confused someone who scores a goal with a striker? That's not rhetorical. I would like to know. I pointed out that Perez, who you don't regard as a striker, had a better scoring record at Newcastle than Welbeck, who you do regard as a striker, had at Arsenal. So, are you telling me that you'd still prefer Welbeck, purely because he fits your own definition of a striker, and it's nothing to do with his goal record? What's more important? Goals, or having a player who fits your own, arbitrary idea of what makes a striker?

You're missing my point. No decent striker will join us to sit on the bench and wait for an injury to Vardy. You're expecting the club to do something it can't.

You keep saying you rate Perez, but you clearly don't, because you keep saying there's no cover for Vardy. There is. He is it.

I do not know what you mean re: Lukaku and Coutinho. It seems like you're pointing out that good players can flop at certain clubs as a way of explaining why you don't regard Perez to be a good backup to Vardy. My point is, why does this not seem to apply to Welbeck, or anyone else you'd have liked the club to sign as backup to Vardy? What is the difference between Welbeck and Perez? If we had signed Welbeck, would you suddenly not regard him as a striker? If not, why not?

I agree to a point regarding midfielders scoring and goals being expected of Vardy. However, the team scoring is the important thing. As long as Vardy is playing well and the team is scoring goals, it's not at all important who gets them. Let's say Vardy got around 30 assists this season, but didn't score any himself. He wouldn't be regarded as a failure, would he?

I agree re: Barnes. It is important that we don't put too much pressure on him. I am glad that he's in and around the first team, though. I want him to get plenty of minutes this season. He'll improve quicker that way.

No manager is perfect, but I think Rodgers is a very good one and we're lucky to have him.

3 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

I can see why you might think we'll struggle against physical teams. We have got quite a diminutive team who probably won't be the best on set-pieces. However, I'm sure we will be better at dispatching those sides. We struggled against the shithouse sides last season, but we now have a much improved midfield, and a better manager, and I can see us passing those sides to death now.

To sum up: I don't think you're being fair to the club. You're complaining that there's no backup to Vardy when they've just shelled out £30m for Newcastle's top scorer. Using your own reasoning, I don't think it's possible for the club to win. You say you want better cover for Vardy, but when they bring someone in, you can just say they've proved nothing and you can disregard their ability to play as a striker.

Funnily enough I've hear good things about that new lad Reghba. Hirst despite doing ok at Sheffield Wed didn't do too well at Leuvan but then neither did Pearson who I have a lot of respect for. He's been the real Brains behind our recent success. 

Were going over old ground now. Perez was a success because he had Rondon doing the heavy lifting for him. Pulling players out of position and creating the space for Perez. You seem to think he'll come here and do the same, but it's a different environment in which he's still unproven.

Wellbeck  has the pace that Vardy has and would have a similar fit to suit the team. It's history now as the windows closed.

My reference to Lukaku and Coutinho and you can even throw in Sanchas at utd. is No matter how good a player is he has to find his feet and Gel at a new Club, and that doesn't always happen no matter how good they are.

I also said I didn't believe Silva would work out here and that's how it's worked out, Despite being an experienced international.

Perez still has to do it here before he's a success here. Fans sometimes think once you've signed a good player all things will be rosy.

I seen Perez make his debut for Newcastle against us and thought he was a good player then. He started as a left winger and I remember saying why didn't we sign him then. We've bought him as a right winger I believe which is fine because he can cut in and score like Mahrez did.

Whether he can replace Vardy if Vardy got injured is a big ask and I think he would struggle without anyone pulling and turning players for him. If it works great we have a 2 for 1 player.

Yes we will pass the ball to death now but real success comes somewhere between our counter attacking team and our current passing team.

We're still a work in progress with a much stronger midfield but possibly a poorer defense. We've lost the towering physical presence of Huth and Maguire.

I hope the Evans and Soyuncu or Benovitch can deliver. Otherwise I see the Palaces and West Hams grabbing an early goal and letting us pass ourselves to death in midfield while they get 10 men behind the Ball.

The Club are doing an unbelievable job and deserve great credit despite making some mistakes along the way. But that doesn't mean we can't have opinions on something we see that might be wrong.

It's also fair to say that we don't always have the full picture. There are so many variables that need to align to achieve success. I've been there and done that.

Enjoy Sunday I think we will have a real battle on to get a result, Hopefully Europe took something out of them in midweek.

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

Funnily enough I've hear good things about that new lad Reghba. Hirst despite doing ok at Sheffield Wed didn't do too well at Leuvan but then neither did Pearson who I have a lot of respect for. He's been the real Brains behind our recent success. 

Were going over old ground now. Perez was a success because he had Rondon doing the heavy lifting for him. Pulling players out of position and creating the space for Perez. You seem to think he'll come here and do the same, but it's a different environment in which he's still unproven.

Wellbeck  has the pace that Vardy has and would have a similar fit to suit the team. It's history now as the windows closed.

My reference to Lukaku and Coutinho and you can even throw in Sanchas at utd. is No matter how good a player is he has to find his feet and Gel at a new Club, and that doesn't always happen no matter how good they are.

I also said I didn't believe Silva would work out here and that's how it's worked out, Despite being an experienced international.

Perez still has to do it here before he's a success here. Fans sometimes think once you've signed a good player all things will be rosy.

I seen Perez make his debut for Newcastle against us and thought he was a good player then. He started as a left winger and I remember saying why didn't we sign him then. We've bought him as a right winger I believe which is fine because he can cut in and score like Mahrez did.

Whether he can replace Vardy if Vardy got injured is a big ask and I think he would struggle without anyone pulling and turning players for him. If it works great we have a 2 for 1 player.

Yes we will pass the ball to death now but real success comes somewhere between our counter attacking team and our current passing team.

We're still a work in progress with a much stronger midfield but possibly a poorer defense. We've lost the towering physical presence of Huth and Maguire.

I hope the Evans and Soyuncu or Benovitch can deliver. Otherwise I see the Palaces and West Hams grabbing an early goal and letting us pass ourselves to death in midfield while they get 10 men behind the Ball.

The Club are doing an unbelievable job and deserve great credit despite making some mistakes along the way. But that doesn't mean we can't have opinions on something we see that might be wrong.

It's also fair to say that we don't always have the full picture. There are so many variables that need to align to achieve success. I've been there and done that.

Enjoy Sunday I think we will have a real battle on to get a result, Hopefully Europe took something out of them in midweek.

You're right - we are going around in circles a bit.

Just because Perez was playing alongside a target man type of striker at Newcastle, doesn't mean to say he won't thrive on through balls from the likes of Tielemans and Maddison. I'm not saying he will be a success here. I'm just saying I see no reason to write him off before he's even kicked a ball for us, as I think it seems you are doing.

Welbeck has a terrible injury record, and I wouldn't want to rely on a player who's rarely match fit. As I have already said, his goal scoring record isn't as good as Perez's either, and that's for a better side who create a lot of better chances, as well.

I understand your point re: good players not necessarily being a success at a new club, but you seem to only apply that argument to Perez. Why would it not apply to Welbeck?

You were right about Silva. I agree - he might be ideal for a slow-paced league, but he is a fish out of water here. He doesn't get the time or space he clearly needs on the ball in the PL.

Whether Perez sinks or swims here, I believe the club has absolutely the right ideas re: acquisitions. Bringing in a reliable backup for Vardy is a difficult puzzle, and a versatile player like Perez, I think, is the best answer.

I agree about our centre-halves. It is a bit uncertain. It will be interesting to see whether Evans and Benko can stay fit, whether Soyuncu or Benko can be relied on yet, and whether an aging Wes can still offer decent cover. Could Amartey do a job for us in a pinch? We do have numbers, though (see Everton's options, or lack thereof), and, although it will probably be costly, we can re-evaluate in January.

I concur. The club deserves great praise for the way it is being run. Spending, selling and saving wisely and recruiting playing and non-playing staff sensibly, all while investing heavily in infrastructure. Title win aside, there's probably never been a better time to be a Leicester fan. We are blessed.

Of course, you are right - even when times are this good, there are things we will disagree on. It would be very dull if it was any other way.

I don't think I've ever looked forward to a season as much as this one. Have a great Sunday! I cannot fvcking wait.

6 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

I don't disagree but if we dont get rid then he is on our books unfortunately and needs to earn that cash.  If the owners really felt as annoyed as a lot of us they would have cut their losses. I suppose they still have time to with other leagues transfer windows still open.

Instead of buying yet another midfielders (Praet)- how many do we need?- we should have signed a striker who was going to be an aerial threat. What’s the point of Ricardo and Chilwell busting a gut to put in a cross when Vardy is never going to beat the tall central defenders to the ball? Slimani is the man, but can we get him to perform?

Genuinely amazes me that people think throwing money around in the last week of the window works, is there an example in the last five years of it having a major impact on a team?

On paper it may make you better, but takes 3-4 months to bed them in. I think getting justin, yt and perez in early will make a big impact for us.

Continuity is underrated 👍

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Genuinely amazes me that people think throwing money around in the last week of the window works, is there an example in the last five years of it having a major impact on a team?

On paper it may make you better, but takes 3-4 months to bed them in. I think getting justin, yt and perez in early will make a big impact for us.

Good point.

I'm not a fan of bringing in too many at one time.  I remember when Everton thought that they had 'won the window', ended up with a load of expensive flops and sacked Steve Walsh and their manager.

29 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Absolutely. I think during the transfer window everyone (including me) forgets that what we all want and what the team actually needs are two different things. We'd all love a show stopping winger, but actually we'd already brought in a very versatile forward in Perez who has been really impressive in pre-season. We're also playing a formation that the likes of Albrighton and Barnes will thrive in, IMO. This feels like the first time in a few seasons that we haven't had a huge gaping hole to fill; before it was about replacing Kante and Mahrez, and failing to bring in a RB for a very long time. Last summer's recruitment was mostly excellent and this summer, it feels like we've made ourselves so much stronger with plenty of options all over the pitch.

• Like 2