Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Silva Fox

Have we progressed this window?

Overall I think we've broke even. Weaker in defence but stronger in attack. Perez minus Maguire.

Last year was the one window that was more important overall. Uncertainty over defence and Mahrez winding down the clock. Could have been worse if Maguire left last year.

This window has more of a 'consolidation' feel to it. Might be 1 or 2 more arrivals late on but last minute signings don't often work for us - Slimani,SIlva (+14 seconds)  for example.

We have a strong hand going into the season.

Not for me. We are well in credit this window.

Youri permanently, yes I know we had him last 1/2 season, but he is here for good with all that brings.

We also have Ayoze, who already looks great, and even if you say he is a Okazaki replacement (you would be wrong), Okazaki didn’t play last season much at all.

James seem a very good prospect thus far.

Yes, Harry has gone, but as they say, one door closes, another opens, so, the pathway for Caglar and/or Benkovic is now available.

:scarf:

• Like 2

Personally, i think this question is best answered when the window is shut, as I'm hopeful we can get 1 or 2 more additions.

However, I think we made progress in the 2nd half of last season and fingers crossed the signings so far will help to continue that.

Yes we have. We have two excellent young CB's available to make a name for themselves now and we have damn near paid for our state of the art new training ground today selling Maguire. I would just love an attacking option in now before deadline day to round it off. 

1 hour ago, Will1981 said:

So far no.

Tielemans was here last year.

Justin replaced Simpson

Perez replaced Okazaki

Maguire has left.

Tielemans was only here for 13 games so that's not a comparison. Maguire has left Benkovic has returned. May not be a straight like for like replacement yet but has the potential to be as does Soyuncu. Our squad is good. Yes one or 2 more signings would be nice but we are definitely stronger than this time last year. People bang on about Everton and West Ham but they sign loads of "big names" every summer and every season they don't get any better. We have the likes of Maddison and Chilwell who have a full season under their belt now and most importantly we have a good manager who can get the best out of these players. I wouldnt swap our squad with any other team outside the top 6. 

• Like 1

Well if you consider last season we only had Tielemans and Barnes for half of it and our record since Rodgers arrived, which would’ve seen us finish 3rd in the ‘form table’ for those games - add Perez to the equation and it gives us reason to be hopeful at least. We weren’t too far away from 7th last time around and when you look at some of the games we dropped under Puel, it really was there for the taking. I do however think it’ll be a lot more competitive in the top half this season however; ourselves, Wolves, Everton and possibly West Ham and Southampton could all potentially have a say looking at those teams on paper I think. I do think adding Tarkowski and a high quality winger would solidify our chances but we shall see.

Edited by Ben.

Unlike some,I do believe ,we can compensate  for Harrys loss( you cant replace the HMs ,in the Football world),but again compensate,and find the Next talent.

So for me, pre-season shown,we have a Good Mix of Youth & Fringe players.

Tielemans on a permanent move..

Perez.......better buy than some Posters will have....

Justin...Good defensive cover..

Barnes ...full Season return...

Benkovic......Loan over,Top Investment ,that can up our potential....

Brendan.Rodgers....new manager,with new ideas,for this Coming season...

Harry Maguire gone......Lost a top B.Bone link....

I am being the optimist......Thats allowed because I Left the East-midlands behind me,years ago...:jump:

So yes we have progressed, it seems with just a couple of thoughts und players,,we have got oursselves,

Into a more positive frontfoot style,with a solid defence behind the front 5-6.

• Like 3

I can’t believe some of the reactions in this thread.

At the start of the window there was a thread along the lines of “Would you accept us ‘doing a tottenham’ (not signing anyone else) if it meant signing Tielemans?”, and most people said yes!! Is anything ever enough for some of you???!!

Since this time last year, we have:

Brought in a top midfielder, who has already proved himself to us for half a season, was our top transfer target, and most here thought he could be one of our best ever players if we, somehow, got him!

Replaced Simpson, who, although a great servant to our club, we’d outgrown, and brought in a highly rated young back-up to Ricardo.

Brought in, out of the blue, another clubs top scorer from last season, who has already in pre-season shown good skill on the ball, and the ability to find the net for us.

Sold Maguire for £80m, who most on here were convinced a few weeks ago was the high value player we were least likely to miss, and for some were almost happy to cash in on, probably for less than the £80m we got aswell!

And most of all, swapped Claude Puel for Brendan Rodgers. A manager who couldn’t get us to break down teams like Huddersfield and Fulham, for a manager who after he came in, had us earning enough points to put us in the top 6 of the form table!!!

Anyone who thinks we haven’t progressed, even before we look at spending the £80m burning a hole in our (the fans) pockets, must be an Ostrich!!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, City1884 said:

At the start of the window there was a thread along the lines of “Would you accept us ‘doing a tottenham’ (not signing anyone else) if it meant signing Tielemans?”, and most people said yes!! Is anything ever enough for some of you???!!

Brought in a top midfielder, who has already proved himself to us for half a season, was our top transfer target, and most here thought he could be one of our best ever players if we, somehow, got him!

Replaced Simpson, who, although a great servant to our club, we’d outgrown, and brought in a highly rated young back-up to Ricardo.

Brought in, out of the blue, another clubs top scorer from last season, who has already in pre-season shown good skill on the ball, and the ability to find the net for us.

Sold Maguire for £80m, who most on here were convinced a few weeks ago was the high value player we were least likely to miss, and for some were almost happy to cash in on, probably for less than the £80m we got aswell!

And most of all, swapped Claude Puel for Brendan Rodgers. A manager who couldn’t get us to break down teams like Huddersfield and Fulham, for a manager who after he came in, had us earning enough points to put us in the top 6 of the form table!!!

Anyone who thinks we haven’t progressed, even before we look at spending the £80m burning a hole in our (the fans) pockets, must be an Ostrich!!!

Welcome! :scarf:

Of course we have progressed, I can't believe some of the comments that I am reading.

We started last season with a volvo midfield of Wilf and Mendy and we've bought in a rolls royce in Youri.  We have a better option on the right in Perez and better cover for the full back positions and bagged a world record fee for Maguire.  A bloomin marvellous window and there is still time to add to it.

I wouldn't be too worried about a winger, I get the feeling we will be playing with wide forwards in a 4-3-3, not out and out wingers.

I think that our first XI will be much stronger than last August and with a better manager playing some good football.

edit - I also think we progressed last year by losing Mahrez and bringing in Maddison, Evans and Ricardo.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1

What we have to remember is the evolution of this young team, Maddison, Chilwell, Ndidi, Choudhury, Barnes, Tielemans, Soyuncu and Benkovic.

We don't necessarily need to be buying 5-6 new players every summer.

Perez scored 13 goals last season, that alone compared with what Okazaki, Gray, Albrighton, Iheanacho etc have been providing is a significant difference and improvement. Tielemans genuinely is in the top 5 central midfielders in the league. 

I'd expect us to get one more midfielder in before Friday and maybe a centre half, it will be a solid window and we've every chance of kicking on.

10 minutes ago, City1884 said:

All valid comments but you're missing my point - in this league you have to spend big just to stand still and despite some fantastic business so far the teams competing for the same places as us have made some impressive signings too. 7th-10th place is probably still our realistic ceiling unless we really go for it before 5pm Thurs. 

1 minute ago, Silva Fox said:

All valid comments but you're missing my point - in this league you have to spend big just to stand still and despite some fantastic business so far the teams competing for the same places as us have made some impressive signings too. 7th-10th place is probably still our realistic ceiling unless we really go for it before 5pm Thurs. 

The point is, yes we have clearly progressed.

Has everyone else progressed to the same level? The final table will tell us that next June.

Football isn’t won “on paper”.

From watching our team every week, and knowing our players and the signings we’ve seen in pre-season, we know that we have progressed.

We can’t be sure if everyone else has until we play them.

But the question “have we progressed?”, as a team, undoubtably yes!

1 minute ago, Silva Fox said:

I don't think you necessarily have to spend big. You just have to spend well. Some of our best signings have been for a relative pittance, and our big money signings have mostly flopped.

• Like 1