Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Silva Fox

Have we progressed this window?

We’ve done clever business, Perez is a fantastic signing, and has already improved us. James Justin has given us the option to push Ricky P up further if ever needed, and Youri completes the midfield we’ve been craving. All in all, yes we have. I would however, like to see another attacking option come in, but if not, we will do some damage this season. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Yes and no.

I thought we were progressing, I was buzzing and going into the season with some swagger, confidence, I thought we were showing ambition and really gonna give it a good go.

All of those things may still be the case and losing one player (Not even our best player last season) doesn't make/break the team but for me it's killed alot of the above, I think there are massive question marks now, I think we've got a massive whole in our team and pre Maguire I was ripping my head out at the state of our defence, it took us 2/3 years to get our defence solid and we're now going into the season with the unknown, I fear we're back to square one. We've got money we can't spend because of other clubs pricing us out (Which fair play to them, we can't have it both ways) but without a doubt we're weaker in the defensive department for it.

Whilst I agree Maguire is a excellent player, I always felt we where a better defensive unit without him once Evans arrived.

He's surging runs for me left us light at the back and often out numbered. 

• Like 1

I'd say yes but the window is still open.

It maybe pie in the sky but if we could use the Maguire money to get Dakonam, Sarr and Praet over the line then that would be an outstanding window imho.

Ps we made significant progress the minute we secured Youri on a permanent deal.

Last season, we scored more and conceded more whenever Maguire was in the team.

It stands to reason that by replacing Maguire with another more defensive CB, we will score less and concede less.

The loss of Maguire’s contribution to our attack, is less significant than what we are gaining by upgrading Gray to Perez.

So overall we should now be scoring more and conceding less.

Therefore, we have actually improved our attack and our defence. 

Edited by brucey
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, brucey said:

Last season, we scored more and conceded more whenever Maguire was in the team.

It stands to reason that by replacing Maguire with another more defensive CB, we will score less and concede less.

The loss of Maguire’s contribution to our attack, is less significant than what we are gaining by upgrading Gray to Perez.

So overall we should now be scoring more and conceding less.

Therefore, we have actually improved our attack and our defence. 

Or, could the purchase of Tielemans permanently and Perez mean we score more and, because we haven't got Maguire sauntering up the pitch and not getting back mean we'll concede less? Remember also, although Morgan played about 8 games less than Harry, he scored the same amount of goals.

Tottenham didn't strengthen last summer.

They finished one place and six points worse off in the PL (the injury to Harry Kane didn't help plus the faffing around re the new stadium)

However they made the CL final, with some great memories along the way.

I'm sure their fans preferred last season to the season before.

1 minute ago, volpeazzurro said:

Or, could the purchase of Tielemans permanently and Perez mean we score more and, because we haven't got Maguire sauntering up the pitch and not getting back mean we'll concede less? Remember also, although Morgan played about 8 games less than Harry, he scored the same amount of goals.

Yeah basically what I said but more articulately lol 

People are forgetting Perez isn’t an Okazaki replacement on the bench, it’s Gray’s starting place that Perez is taking and that is a bloody massive upgrade.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I don't think you necessarily have to spend big. You just have to spend well. Some of our best signings have been for a relative pittance, and our big money signings have mostly flopped.

Yep. We can pretty much run through the 15/16 squad and see how recruiting well always trumps spending big.

PS. Perez is a big upgrade on Gray as a winger and a big upgrade on Iheanacho as a striker.

PPS. I'd like us to get in a new first choice CB alongside Evans but Soyuncu, Benkovic and Morgan shouldn't stop us finishing top half and/or having a proper go in the cups.

On 05/08/2019 at 21:44, Silva Fox said:

All valid comments but you're missing my point - in this league you have to spend big just to stand still and despite some fantastic business so far the teams competing for the same places as us have made some impressive signings too. 7th-10th place is probably still our realistic ceiling unless we really go for it before 5pm Thurs. 

I bet if you went through this forum &

Go through whole of our quiet and raucious fans on the terraces,the

majority would be more, yes more than

Happy to see  improve-footballing performances,show ambitions within our expectations..show we at least want to compete for those high  covetted positions..But if we fall short then 9-7th,we will still be happy with the EOS outcome!!

Edited by fuchsntf

If we're aiming for the top six Perez and Praett although good don't really fit the bill. But on the other hand Tielemans will be one of the best midfielders on the planet soon. We have about seven players who any team in the top six would love, and they're young and they're improving and Rodgers' coaching can't be dismissed.

I was thinking in the past two summer windows we've got Maddison, Ricardo, Evans, Soyuncu, Benkovic, Tielemans, Justin and Perez for around £20m. People go on about us being a selling club but the fact is commercially we sustainably operate like Man United, Chelsea etc, we have to buy players with resale value in mind, so then a few years down the line we can sell one player and bring in 4 new ones. There's nothing wrong with selling because fees get bigger. We sell the likes of Kantè and Drinkwater for £30m, use some of that money to buy Maguire who we sell for £80m, allowing us to buy Tielemans who more than likely within a few years will want to progress his career further. It just shows how impressive our title win the other year was with clubs like Leicester, Everton, West Ham and so on only being able to keep hold of the best players for a few years. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

I’m still answering ‘not yet’...

That's where I am too. Strengthened in midfield, weakened at the back. 

Can see us climbing a place due to Wolves' Europa League involvement but I don't see us challenging the European spots unless we have a busy afternoon. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

That's where I am too. Strengthened in midfield, weakened at the back. 

Can see us climbing a place due to Wolves' Europa League involvement but I don't see us challenging the European spots unless we have a busy afternoon. 

I would prefer to be optimistic that a full pre-season with Brendan, plus the signings, might just push a bit closer, and then who knows? 

Just now, Babylon said:

You can't measure our progress down to one window. You measure where we are compared to say December last year and I think we're far ahead of what we were then.  The additions of Rodgers, Tielemans, Perez, Praet far outweighs the negative of losing Maguire. The last 11 games we were in champions league form!

I'd like another CB, but if one of the two young lads can step up to just being average. We'll be well set IMO.

You’re right, but I was addressing the question in the OP.

It’s not been a good window yet. Nor a bad one. But certainly not the 5 new signings, £100M net spend much touted at the start of the window. And that’s what we needed/still need if we’re to challenge the top 6.

Depends what the target is. Consolidation as a mid table side? Absolutely. Much better manager, squad full of young promising players, kept hold of everyone other than Maguire, added Tielemans and Perez. 

If we're aiming for Top 6+ then I'd say no. Even with Perez added and Tielemans for a whole season I don't think we've got enough goals, especially compared to the options at Everton and Wolves. The centre of our defence will probably prove to be inadequate and unstable, for a top 6 push - will Evans stay fit for 38 games? Benkovic, Soyuncu and Morgan all rotating in and out? 

Depends where you’re judging from.

If you take your view from our position going into last season then definitely.

Significant manager upgrade, last seasons new signings have a year under their belt and a solid base to maintain progression from, improved quality in midfield and attacking options - and although we’ve lost Maguire, we’ve retained Chilwell, Vardy and Kasper.

Of course from a fans prospective it’s always desirable to do more - but the reality of the situation proves it’s much more difficult than phone up, offer a sack of money and get the players you want in.

As long as the club keeps building in the right direction, we will get to where we want and i’m confident the players we’ve been linked to could well convert to transfers 1 or 2 windows down the line and prove to make us even stronger in 12 months time.

If we are to break the top 6 or 4 meaningfully, it won’t happen over a short time frame - it’ll be an evolution over many seasons - so whilst we might like it to be quicker, we as fans should be reassured the base work that has gone on in this window indicates we’re going in the right direction.

55 minutes ago, Babylon said:

You can't measure our progress down to one window. You measure where we are compared to say December last year and I think we're far ahead of what we were then.  The additions of Rodgers, Tielemans, Perez, Praet far outweighs the negative of losing Maguire. The last 11 games we were in champions league form!

I'd like another CB, but if one of the two young lads can step up to just being average. We'll be well set IMO.

I seem to recall that we had a similar end of season run in 2015 and we all know what happened next. Momentum, along with a couple of good signings augers well. So yes I do believe that we are in a much better position than we were

The managerial change we made, replacing Puel with Rodgers, will really kick in and make a significant difference from the off, as will having a fitter and fully integrated Tielemans in place from the start of the season. In addition, Perez will add goals we didn't get from Gray et al last year. If our defence remains as solid as it appeared to be without Harry last season, come May we should be 15+ points better off than we were at the end of last season. We really do look capable of homing in on the top 6!

Couple square pegs in round holes (Albrighton at LCM, Gray at CAM) & no doubt we'll probably rotate between formations but this is the diamond squad depth for the season: 

leicester.jpg.f67bcda5bf9851250cab77dd37105c7a.jpg

Edited by Shane

yes. It is all well and good wanting/expecting or even demanding 5 or 6 new players, all of course instant first team selections or not worth buying etc. but where do you put them all?  Easy just get rid of anyone who is not your personal flavour of the month.

It is better to evolve than create a revolution. Too many new players can easily upset the squad dynamics, marginalise youth talent or long serving players who may no longer be first choice starters but are valuable to the squad in other ways etc.  I actually believe that we have probably got the balance just about right this window. If we are now done, then that means that we are giving those we brought in last year (CS FB etc a decent chance to prove themselves, strengthened our midfield and attacking options whilst maintaining a strong core of the existing squad.

Now it looks as if the incomings are all sorted we have abetter idea of where we can afford to let some go if we get decent offers.

• Like 1