Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Silva Fox

Have we progressed this window?

Seeing the Talksport projected final PL positions earlier (in which they placed us 10th) made me question whether we've actually progressed this window (so far). Tielemans and Perez were fantastic signings that will undoubtedly strengthen us but looking at the signings our immediate rivals Wolves, Everton & West Ham have made so far I don't see us doing much more than standing still. I'm as optimistic as the next fan but with Harry now gone I really hope we have plans to bring in more quality signings; as a minimum a winger and attacking MF and preferably additional centre-back and striker options too.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

Depends on Soyuncu. If he can fill HM's role than yes. If not, no. It's been a pretty successful window though and if we can shift a few out and make another top class, value for money signing, then we'll have done well.

• Like 1

Too many changes can weaken your 'team' we only have one addition to our expected starting 11, Perez

Everyone else will know how best to play together which can be more beneficial than a team full of newbies

As for talksport for every bunch of finger in the air pundits predicting us finishing lower than last seasons there's plenty going the other way.

I'm a long standing pessimist even I don't think we'll finish that low.

• Like 3

For me we need a CB, A left sided winger and a CM that can cover the 8 role rather than Silva. If we spend we’ll have improved dramatically. If we don’t I can’t see us breaking in to the top six. 8th - 10th would probably be about our ceiling.

Compared to where we were this time last season, I think we have made leaps and bounds. Don’t forget the difference Tielemans made to the team when he arrived. Pérez looks a great signing for us. Plus we now have a much much better manager who knows how to get the best out of the players we have. 

West Ham and Everton keep on spending big and have little to show for it results wise. 

Edited by rachhere
  • Like 3

progress can’t just be judged by signings. I think we have. Tielemans for a full season barring injury is incredible. Perez for me is an upgrade on Okazaki. Add to that each of our young players are one more season smarter then last. 

I would love a winger before Friday but I still think we are in a better position then we were last year.

• Like 3

Secured Tielemans and a very promising Perez, for me that boost to our attacking capabilities marginally outweighs the defensive loss of Slabhead...  which may yet be mitigated from without or even within.

20 minutes ago, Silva Fox said:

Seeing the Talksport projected final PL positions earlier (in which they placed us 10th) made me question whether we've actually progressed this window (so far). Tielemans and Perez were fantastic signings that will undoubtedly strengthen us but looking at the signings our immediate rivals Wolves, Everton & West Ham have made so far I don't see us doing much more than standing still. I'm as optimistic as the next fan but with Harry now gone I really hope we have plans to bring in more quality signings; as a minimum a winger and attacking MF and preferably additional centre-back and striker options too.

Thoughts?

Blimey, the next fan is a pessimist!

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

progress can’t just be judged by TalkSports opinions. I think we have. Tielemans for a full season barring injury is incredible. Perez for me is an upgrade on Okazaki. Add to that each of our young players are one more season smarter then last. 

I would love a winger before Friday but I still think we are in a better position then we were last year.

Fixed :thumbup:

• Like 1

Just now, Mickyblueeyes said:

progress can’t just be judged by signings. I think we have. Tielemans for a full season barring injury is incredible. Perez for me is an upgrade on Okazaki. Add to that each of our young players are one more season smarter then last. 

I wouldn't disagree with that for 1 minute but my question is more whether we have progressed relative to those who will be competing for 7th-10th places let alone top 6. I don't think we have but I remain hopeful for the next 3 days.

15 minutes ago, Will1981 said:

So far no.

Tielemans was here last year.

Justin replaced Simpson

Perez replaced Okazaki

Maguire has left.

Tielemans only came on loan in January, so is bound to continue to be a major boost to our midfield.

Justin has replaced Simpson indeed, though can provide cover for both fullbacks, is about 11 years younger and offers much more.

Shinji only started 1 league game last season, whereas Perez is nailed on to start in this team and can offer so much more.

Maguire might have left but Soyuncu and Benkovic are more than capable of filling that role, and are 5 years younger. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Will1981 said:

So far no.

Tielemans was here last year.

Justin replaced Simpson

Perez replaced Okazaki

Maguire has left.

This is a good way to look at it.

The only way we can say we've improved the squad is by bringing in better players than James and Ghezzal i.e. a winger and a midfielder before the deadline.

Otherwise we've just plugged 3 gaps in the squad (yes Perez is an upgrade on Shinji) and lost Maguire.

We'll have a better year this time because of the manager and the continued improvement of the younger players. But I'd personally be disappointed if we didn't bring in 2-3 more players in the next 3 days.

1 minute ago, Silva Fox said:

I wouldn't disagree with that for 1 minute but my question is more whether we have progressed relative to those who will be competing for 7th-10th places let alone top 6. I don't think we have but I remain hopeful for the next 3 days.

I think the answer is, yes we have. For example, I think our midfield three of Ndidi, Tielemans and Maddison start for Wolves, Everton and West Ham. Wolves out of the three would probably argue Neves and Mountinho are better but I would disagree.

I would also prefer that midfield three over Fred, an indifferent Pogba, an out of sorts Ozil and Mason Mount. Pulisic is unproven. Barkley is okish. We really do have a special three. 

With the loss of Maguire it’s easy to forget the good work we have done in the last three windows. However, we are a fairly good squad - better than we have had for many a year. That includes the title winning squad which was an awesome team rather then a good squad. Lots to be optimistic about.

• Like 2

I think we're progressing nicely, Tielemans permanent is massive, Perez will be great imo, young guns gaining in experience, maturity and benefitting from Brendans coaching. 

Also a few more days to complete our business, happy days.

Edited by Bluetintedspecs
  • Like 4