Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pete from the USA

Attending first Premier League match | Advice?

Dear FT,

Traveling from Chicago to the UK on business in September. Been a football fan since I was a kid but have never been to a Premier League game. I bought two tickets to the Foxes home game on Sept 21 for myself and my 18 yo daughter, who I am dragging with me (can't remember who LCFC are playing, spuds or sponges or something). 

Any advice on what to do? Learn profane fight songs? Wear blue or just show up and look clueless? Is there a decent pub you'd bring your daughter to? We're only in town for one day but we hope to get the experience, at least the wholesome parts. 

Thanks in advance for the help.

9 minutes ago, Pete from the USA said:

Dear FT,

Traveling from Chicago to the UK on business in September. Been a football fan since I was a kid but have never been to a Premier League game. I bought two tickets to the Foxes home game on Sept 21 for myself and my 18 yo daughter, who I am dragging with me (can't remember who LCFC are playing, spuds or sponges or something). 

Any advice on what to do? Learn profane fight songs? Wear blue or just show up and look clueless? Is there a decent pub you'd bring your daughter to? We're only in town for one day but we hope to get the experience, at least the wholesome parts. 

Hi mate, 

Most people on this forum will give a different answer for what the "game experience" for them is. For me, its spending time with my dad and brother and doing something we all love, watching the footy. 

If it's your first time, I'd suggest you go for a pre-game drink, that be at a pub or a coffee somewhere before wondering up to the ground. I always like to be there 30/45mins pre match as I like watching the teams warm up and the pre game atmosphere. 

Colours aren't necessary, you'll see a lot of people without them, just do whatever you're comfortable in. Chants aren't that imaginative so you'll pick them up fairly quickly. 

Mainly enjoy yourself and the day

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Pete from the USA said:

Dear FT,

Not sure if trying to be funny. Or just read to much anti spurs stuff.

But as above just do what suits you.

I've met up with @The_77 from New York foxes before and he was very knowledgeable about leicester and enjoyed his time here.

Also had another couple over on their honeymoon for chelsea last game of last season, they knew a little less, but went and visited the club shop, met up for drinks, stood with us throughout the game and seemed to have a good time too @ClaytonS (no offence on your football knowledge intended) maybe able to help if he's still using the site. You'll be fine with or without colours etc, shouldn't worry about learning songs unless you want too.

Sure people can recommend plenty of places to drink etc, but probably depends on what you and your daughter like to do. Just do a bit of research.

Places like the bowling green, rutland and derby etc, not traditional football pubs as such, but give you a more relaxed place to eat and drink and you're likely to find people to chat to, there's the kings, although not sure under 18s are allowed in, the swan and rushes, Fbar if your prefer it a bit more lively.

Hope whatever you decide you have good trip.

Edited by Bayfox
  • Like 2

Make sure you have time to walk around the stadium, read the walls, the plaques etc. Visit the club shop, it may be overpriced tat, but im still using my tea mug  daily from 9 years ago and every day its a reminder of my team.

try to read some of the songs before you go (maybe @Union FS ) can help you there, its worth it to know. 

Change your accent to match the Leicester sound if you are going to sing, you can sound a right twat when singing with an overseas accent lol  (just kidding) join in the songs its a great part of the day.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Make sure you have time to walk around the stadium, read the walls, the plaques etc. Visit the club shop, it may be overpriced tat, but im still using my tea mug  daily from 9 years ago and every day its a reminder of my team.

THIS! I am an American, and married my Leicester girl in Rome, living in Italy for several years. We moved to Leicester two years ago, and I finally got to go to the games (never played at home when we visited the in-laws, but did get to see a few Tigers matches during my Italian exile). 

Been attending most games since I arrived, always in the Family Stand or East Stand. I had NEVER seen the actual front of the stadium until three months ago! Much more impressive than the East Stand entrance! (During the Atalanta game, we sat in in the Keith Weller section -- never have I lamented my lack of wealth more -- that's living! But alas, back to the Family Stand for Wolves).

• Like 3

On 26/08/2019 at 18:36, Bayfox said:

Not sure if trying to be funny. Or just read to much anti spurs stuff.

But as above just do what suits you.

I've met up with @The_77 from New York foxes before and he was very knowledgeable about leicester and enjoyed his time here.

Also had another couple over on their honeymoon for chelsea last game of last season, they knew a little less, but went and visited the club shop, met up for drinks, stood with us throughout the game and seemed to have a good time too @ClaytonS (no offence on your football knowledge intended) maybe able to help if he's still using the site. You'll be fine with or without colours etc, shouldn't worry about learning songs unless you want too.

Sure people can recommend plenty of places to drink etc, but probably depends on what you and your daughter like to do. Just do a bit of research.

Places like the bowling green, rutland and derby etc, not traditional football pubs as such, but give you a more relaxed place to eat and drink and you're likely to find people to chat to, there's the kings, although not sure under 18s are allowed in, the swan and rushes, Fbar if your prefer it a bit more lively.

Hope whatever you decide you have good trip.

I certainly enjoyed that week in particular, I tell ya! I'm over in the UK again this weekend but it doesn't look like I'll be able to make it up to Leicester but that's a-whole-nother-story.

@Pete from the USA If you have the time, the city isn't too big and it's quite walkable. Someone put together a route for a walking tour of the LCFC murals (although the famous Marks Electrical Champions mural is pretty much taken down)-- that would be a good way to get a flavor of the city as you head toward the stadium (the pdf is still online). You'll find places to pop in for a bite or a drink along the walk. Make sure you say hello to King Richard III while you're in town.

As you get closer to the stadium, there are good, lively bars that will get you going for the game and Bayfox's suggestions are solid. Blues Bar is right by the stadium and you'll see lots of people outside there too-- gets really busy, though.

Edited by The_77
  • Like 2

On 26/08/2019 at 22:48, Pete from the USA said:

Dear FT,

Watch Green Street should give you a decent idea of how to act/what happens on match day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1