Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Football Manager 2020

6 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Be interesting to know if you can actually properly screw up a club. I am tempted to just throw in a manager that signs some contracts with absolutely ridiculous clauses in them that will eventually see the club in total disarray, like handing a 30 year old a new 5 year deal with a 25% yearly wage rise or something.

Surely match highest earner clause is the best way to do this actually, throw it into all the youth players contracts then give someone crap a ridiculous wage lol 

You can't actually properly **** a club over, the board always inject cash to save it. There was a bloke on the SI forums that would spend about £250m in a window with Everton/West Ham/Newcastle with 50% future fee clauses/25% yearly wage rises all sorts of obscene stuff and he never got asked for being irresponsible or failing FFP lol 

What teams would be good to start with?

Im looking for strong teams who arent the best in their top league but can threaten at the top and have a squad for attractive football.

Id rather have no europe at all than europa league but champions league obviously a plus.

My suggestions were:

Napoli

Sporting Lisbon

Marseille/Lyon

Feyenoord

Arsenal/Chelsea

Any thoughts on these?

Im thinking Feyenoord

54 minutes ago, Donk said:

Im looking for strong teams who arent the best in their top league but can threaten at the top and have a squad for attractive football.

Id rather have no europe at all than europa league but champions league obviously a plus.

My suggestions were:

Napoli

Sporting Lisbon

Marseille/Lyon

Feyenoord

Arsenal/Chelsea

Any thoughts on these?

Im thinking Feyenoord

Leicester!

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Leicester!

Im not massively into managing leicester tbh because i feel a bit too familiar with the squad.

Also i do like smaller formats. I dont like having two domestic cups in england.

But good suggestion

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Donk said:

Im not massively into managing leicester tbh because i feel a bit too familiar with the squad.

Also i do like smaller formats. I dont like having two domestic cups in england.

But good suggestion

RB Leipzig/Frankfurt

Sevilla

Rangers for a wildcard.

These will be good, even if they do have bigger formats.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

21 hours ago, Donk said:

My suggestions were:

Napoli

Sporting Lisbon

Marseille/Lyon

Feyenoord

Arsenal/Chelsea

Any thoughts on these?

Im thinking Feyenoord

Lille. Lovely little squad and in theory should be absolutely loaded.

Lyon are always a nicely constructed squad as well.

Marseille I think would be harder because it's a squad on big wages, high ages etc... they're just one of these badly run clubs. I guess in a way it's part of the challenge, but it's hard because you'd have immediate expectations.

Lille are in the Champions League as well. Money, young squad and Champions League. Ticks all the boxes.

Edited by Dan LCFC

21 hours ago, Donk said:

My suggestions were:

Napoli

Sporting Lisbon

Marseille/Lyon

Feyenoord

Arsenal/Chelsea

Any thoughts on these?

Im thinking Feyenoord

Try winning the Scottish Premiership with anyone other than Celtic or Rangers - although even Rangers will probably be quite challenging these days.

Try getting a Welsh, Irish or Northern Irish team into the group stage of the Champions League.

Replicate Leicester's recent League success with Leuven (and reach the Champions League QF's).

Those are a few of my favourite challenges over the last couple of editions of the game

• Like 2

Lille lost their best players to Lyon and Arsenal. 

Go with Lyon. Losing Ndombele and Fekir is a shame as they were good on the last version but Aouar will be one of the best young midfielders on the game and the academy will be stacked as ever. 

You missed Dortmund BTW off your list. Bundesliga probably the best football manager league to in as there's no squad limitations. 

4 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Go with Lyon. Losing Ndombele and Fekir is a shame as they were good on the last version but Aouar will be one of the best young midfielders on the game and the academy will be stacked as ever. 

You missed Dortmund BTW off your list. Bundesliga probably the best football manager league to in as there's no squad limitations. 

4 hours ago, Frost said:

Rapid Vienna/Kaiserslautern are probably worth a crack.

On 18/09/2019 at 13:03, TiffToff88 said:

Try winning the Scottish Premiership with anyone other than Celtic or Rangers - although even Rangers will probably be quite challenging these days.

Try getting a Welsh, Irish or Northern Irish team into the group stage of the Champions League.

Replicate Leicester's recent League success with Leuven (and reach the Champions League QF's).

Those are a few of my favourite challenges over the last couple of editions of the game

All great suggestions. Thinking of putting all of them into a hat and drawing a random team.

Others i had considered that i felt might be worth looking at were:

Dinamo Kiev

Basaksehir

Sturm Graz

RB Leipzig

I like 18 (or fewer) team leagues, that impacts my choice slightly but would take a 20+ team league no problem.

I have done a ukranian league and its a particularly hard one to win i think after the league splits in two.

Theres quite a few countries ive not done too. Not just the very obscure leagues like india, but the swedish, croatian and serbian leagues to give a few examples

13 hours ago, Donk said:

All great suggestions. Thinking of putting all of them into a hat and drawing a random team.

Dinamo Kiev

Basaksehir

Sturm Graz

RB Leipzig

I like 18 (or fewer) team leagues, that impacts my choice slightly but would take a 20+ team league no problem.

I have done a ukranian league and its a particularly hard one to win i think after the league splits in two.

Theres quite a few countries ive not done too. Not just the very obscure leagues like india, but the swedish, croatian and serbian leagues to give a few examples

I do wonder sometimes who actually plays these leagues? When you look at the fact that the indian, South Korean, South African and some of the South American leagues that are included you have to wonder if even people from those countries play those leagues?

Kaiserslauten is a good shout. Done some digging today, can't say i'm totally set on any though. My typical mix of small/fallen 'giants'

Litex Lovech - Bulgarian 2nd tier. Fairly successful club, been outside the top flight for a few seasons now

OHL - Belgian 2nd tier. Leicester links but the league format is bewildering

Sparta Prague - Czech 1st tier. Most successful club in Czech Republic but in a barren spell, well behind Slavia and Plzen at the moment

Auxerre - French 2nd tier. Been stuck and unsuccessful here for a while now

Bochum - German 2nd tier. Leicester links

Panathinaikos - Greek 1st tier. Seem to be going through troubles, probably financial??? Decent potential

Any Icelandic side

Palermo -  Italy, If they're in a playable league... do they even exist now? lol

Wisla Krakow - Polish 1st tier. 3rd most successful side in Poland, not done much for a while now and still have Wasilewski in their squad

Gornik Zabrze -  Polish 1st tier. Most successful side in Poland (to my surprise!) - only won one trophy in the last 30 years though

Ruch Chorzow - Polish 3rd tier therefore perhaps not on the game yet - 2nd most successful side in Poland and on a downward spiral.

Dinamo Bucharest - Romanian 1st tier. Similar story to Sparta Prague

AFC Rapid Bucharest - Romanian 2nd tier. Working their way back up after folding. Previous club was successful

Deportivo La Coruna - Spanish 2nd tier. Opportunity to take them back to challenging in La Liga

Orgryte - Swedish 2nd tier. One of Sweden's most successful clubs

Dnipro-1 - Ukrainian 1st tier. Fairly certain they have links to the Dnipro that folded.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Walkers said:

Dnipro-1 - Ukrainian 1st tier. Fairly certain they have links to the Dnipro that folded.

Dnipro-1 were founded whilst Dnipro FC was falling down the leagues after their owner (who was dodgy AF and a governor of the city) essentially pulled funding after fan's criticism of him - so the fans formed the new club. It also didn't help that around this time he was co-owner of the largest private bank in the Ukraine that was forcibly nationalised and his assets seized - a lot of players went for little or no money.

Dnipro-1 are a completely different side, they played each other in the amateur league during their first season (17/18) because FC Dnipro had a two immediate relegations in the one summer due to financial trouble and essentially owing people tonnes of cash (Juande Ramos being one of them).

Dnipro were my first ever save on an FM game, they used to be minted and I loved the challenge.

1 minute ago, Langston said:

Dnipro-1 were founded whilst Dnipro FC was falling down the leagues after their owner (who was dodgy AF and a governor of the city) essentially pulled funding after fan's criticism of him - so the fans formed the new club. It also didn't help that around this time he was co-owner of the largest private bank in the Ukraine that was forcibly nationalised and his assets seized - a lot of players went for little or no money.

Dnipro-1 are a completely different side, they played each other in the amateur league during their first season (17/18) because FC Dnipro had a two immediate relegations in the one summer due to financial trouble and essentially owing people tonnes of cash (Juande Ramos being one of them).

Dnipro were my first ever save on an FM game, they used to be minted and I loved the challenge.

I was them too back in about 12/13 when they had Konoplyanka and some Brazilian bloke beginning with G

On 22/09/2019 at 23:06, Donk said:

Dinamo Kiev

Basaksehir

Sturm Graz

RB Leipzig

I’ve always found Brentford to be a very good save. Decently well run club and the squad is normally pretty strong and they end up generating a decent income too. 

On 22/09/2019 at 18:40, Finnegan said:

Lille are still going to be a challenge though and they do have the money. I thought part of the idea was not taking over the finished product.

Them or Lyon would both be good saves mind. I've never had a bad save with Lyon.

On 22/09/2019 at 23:06, Donk said:

Dinamo Kiev

Basaksehir

Sturm Graz

RB Leipzig

I was these once and it was a disaster. I reckon Trabzonspor might be better actually, think they might have a slightly younger squad.

Basaksehir are just another like the top clubs - load of old players on stupid contracts.

Turkey is interesting though as the big clubs are in genuine mess on it. You would think with any relatively sensibly run Turkish side (good luck finding one) you would be able to climb quite easily.

I've weirdly considered a team called Altinordu. Second tier in Turkey but have top class youth facilities. A certain Leicester defender kicked it off there.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...