Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
isaidno

Rugby world cup 2019

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Speaking of refs, Owens to ref the NZ-Eng semi final.

Obvious and best choice, guess he'll get the final too unless Wales beat the Saffers.

It's actually pretty unlikely he'll do the final if he's doing the semi, my prediction was Nige to do England, Barnes to do Wales and Garces to do the final. 2011 was the only year a semi final ref has ever done the final. 

Bit curious who they've got lined up for it now tbh. Possible they've held Barnes in reserve along with Poite, both are touch judges this weekend. Barnes as first choice, Poite in case you beat NZ. 

Would really hope its not some nobber like Jackson. 

Edited by Finnegan

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's actually pretty unlikely he'll do the final if he's doing the semi, my prediction was Nige to do England, Barnes to do Wales and Garces to do the final. 2011 was the only year a semi final ref has ever done the final. 

Bit curious who they've got lined up for it now tbh. Possible they've held Barnes in reserve along with Poite, both are touch judges this weekend. Barnes as first choice, Poite in case you beat NZ. 

Would really hope its not some nobber like Jackson. 

Interesting. Poite it probably is, then. :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, Nalis said:

I think the treatment of Pepyer is a bit OTT.

If it was a contentious red then I could understand the controversy.

Define treatment. 

Do you mean the French reaction on social media or the punishment? 

Because the French reaction was ****ing pathetic, like a witch hunt ffs. They completely seemed to forget the red card was entirely justified. 

The punishment was just not giving him a semi final and Garces and Nige were probably going to get them anyway so it's totally a pointless tap on the wrist which is about right tbf. 

17 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Shame more people don't have this attitude rather than just saying "it's *enter year*, you can't do that anymore"

Ngl even in 1970 it wouldn't have been smart for a ref to be caught posing and having a laugh with the winning fans after a match, especially one the losing side think hinged on a decision he made (the winning try not the red card.)

I like the core sentiment of Haskell's rant, that we should not empower Internet moaners, but I think he's overreacting as much as the French calling for Peyper's head. 

For me the truth, as ever, falls in the middle of the issue. It was funny but it was also unprofessional and taking a semi final off him is about balanced. He probably wasn't even going to ref the England game anyway so it's just a token punishment as a caution. 

Haskell is largely grandstanding to be a "voice of the people."

Edited by Finnegan

On 20/10/2019 at 07:56, MattP said:

Thought England looked really good yesterday, just can't see us beating New Zealand though unless everything falls perfect.

Think Wales will edge past France today and South Africa take some brutal revenge on Japan.

Mystic Matt predictions for this weekend.

England lose agonisingly to New Zealand with a late try or penalty. 

South Africa comfortably see off Wales.

We laugh and all and the assumption is that I'm trolling but I think the media in this country are building this up to be a closer contest than it should be tbf. 

Along with the All Blacks vs Ireland video I posted earlier, Squidge's piece on Wales England from the 6N is worth a view. As is his wider deconstruction of England. 

Squidge has a comedic way of presenting but his tactical analysis of games is phenomenal and he's right in his appraisal of England.

Eddie's England is like the Klopp Liverpool of rugby, the idea is to come racing out the blocks and lob the kitchen sink straight in the face of the opposition and to hope they immediately wilt under the force of it, given almost every side in a competitive test wants to slowly feel their way in to the game. 

The problem here is that it won't really work on the All Blacks, you're going to need more creativity and nouse to break them down but that's exactly what England lack. Just like a Klopp team struggles compared to a Guardiola team against Parking The Bus because it doesn't have the same creativity in the middle of the park, England struggle against a genuine robust defence because they don't really have a plan B to blitzkrieg. 

It means they're very, very impressive steam rolling teams that crack but when an opponent is stubborn and unphased, there's not a lot of progress. 

New Zealand aren't likely to cough up many tries to mistakes. They're also likely to have one of the strongest benches Eddie has ever faced with England which will negate the shit out of his "finishers", with Kane, TJ and Co coming on to add energy after 60.

I think it'll be closer than NZ vs Ireland because I think England will be more switched on mentally and the ABs a fraction more nervous. But I think it'll pull out to comfortably beyond a score after 70.

You absolutely CAN win and you've got more chance of beating them than SA or Wales (we'll get smashed btw, 5 points was very optimistic) but it'll take by far the best performance of Eddie's tenure to date to do it and you'll get a standing ovation from the world if it happens. 

Edited by Finnegan

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Ngl even in 1970 it wouldn't have been smart for a ref to be caught posing and having a laugh with the winning fans after a match, especially one the losing side think hinged on a decision he made (the winning try not the red card.)

I like the core sentiment of Haskell's rant, that we should not empower Internet moaners, but I think he's overreacting as much as the French calling for Peyper's head. 

For me the truth, as ever, falls in the middle of the issue. It was funny but it was also unprofessional and taking a semi final off him is about balanced. He probably wasn't even going to ref the England game anyway so it's just a token punishment as a caution. 

Haskell is largely grandstanding to be a "voice of the people."

I suppose for me personally, I'd be big enough to laugh at it if I was on the "receiving" end of it. So I hold everyone to the same standards. 

You're probably bang on it looking at it from a totally neutral point of view though. I do find it a massive shame that it has meant he wouldn't be considered for any more games though. At worst he's upset some people who were probably already upset having gone out of the tournament. 

It's the fact it's a photo taken that he's probably had very little say in. Just having a laugh with some blokes. It's not like he's posted a Facebook post of him doing the pose himself and saying how great it was to be able to make a decision that meant that France got knocked out. 

The VAR officials that allowed Alli's goal last weekend deserve a far bigger punishment.

I know absolutely nothing about Rugby and only took an interest after accidentally catching the Japan v Ireland game. New Zealand looked better than anything else I've seen against Ireland. Obviously Ireland lost to Japan, so they're clearly not very good at the minute.

It's gonna take a hell of a performance from England to make it a competitive game though. 

One question though, how is this bloke 28? I thought he was about 40 the first time I saw him.

skysports-mako-vunipola-england_4778127.