Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
isaidno

Rugby world cup 2019

3 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

South Africa are so rubbish to watch 

Disagree.. Tactically they have been superb. Defensively supreme. Owning the scrum. The speed that they reset their line out of the ruck is astonishing. A wall. Playing to their strengths - England powerless to respond - getting crucified in the set piece. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Somebody is going to need to explain to me what happened at that last scrum. Perhaps they’re catering to people better educated than me but the commentators should be explaining what offence has taken place. Instead we just see a replay of what we’ve just seen with no analysis or explanation.

Same boat as you, not idea what's going on half the time. Especially when the commentators aren't agreeing with decisions.

1 minute ago, ttfn said:

Somebody is going to need to explain to me what happened at that last scrum. Perhaps they’re catering to people better educated than me but the commentators should be explaining what offence has taken place. Instead we just see a replay of what we’ve just seen with no analysis or explanation.

The commentators are two second row forwards, they don't have a clue lol

You need Flats or at least Moore to give you a good idea of what's going on there because only the front rows really know and even then you're guessing from the outside. 

Thing is, that sort of includes the ref as well. So the pack that is bigger, stronger and getting forward momentum nearly always gets the nod from the ref. 

South Africa have the most powerful scrum in the world, they can push world class forwards straight off the ball and when the ref sees them driving on and England coming up you're always going to concede penalties. 

1 minute ago, Line-X said:

Disagree.. Tactically they have been superb. Defensively supreme. Owning the scrum. The speed that they reset their line out of the ruck is astonishing. A wall. Playing to their strengths - England powerless to respond - getting crucified in the set piece. 

Depends on what you like to watch, generally a team playing for penalties isn’t what I call entertaining 

Just now, Wolfox said:

Just being reminded as to why I’m a football fan!

Yeah because football is full of exciting, riveting finals. No final in a football major Cup has ever been decided by a cagey, nervy, defensive 1-0.

They're all exciting goal fests. 

There we go, I nominate Vac FT's Brian Moore*. 

He's going to explain the rest of the scrums from here on in. 

(*Vac if you get confused, just shout about the feed not being straight.)

Also: there's the voice of genuine scrum expert David Flatman explaining things. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah because football is full of exciting, riveting finals. No final in a football major Cup has ever been decided by a cagey, nervy, defensive 1-0.

They're all exciting goal fests. 

I know…. I was being tongue in cheek

It was a broader observation…. Football is more aesthetically pleasing and has a better flow…

Tuned in for the 2nd half and have absolutely no clue whats going on. I think this is the 1st time ive ever watched a game. We look good though even though we are losing? Why do we always pass the ball backwards though? And are we allowed to just kick it over the H or is that just for special occasions? 

(Apologies for being thick) 

1 minute ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Tuned in for the 2nd half and have absolutely no clue whats going on. I think this is the 1st time ive ever watched a game. We look good though even though we are losing? Why do we always pass the ball backwards though? And are we allowed to just kick it over the H or is that just for special occasions? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_rugby_union

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

There we go, I nominate Vac FT's Brian Moore*. 

He's going to explain the rest of the scrums from here on in. 

(*Vac if you get confused, just shout about the feed not being straight.)

Also: there's the voice of genuine scrum expert David Flatman explaining things. 

Again I’m not sure he’s explained it at all, he’s just said he thinks the referee is right. I need somebody to show me in the replay what the offence is.

Again, appreciate that I may not be the target audience and perhaps it’s my failing rather than the broadcaster.

2 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Throw backwards and kick forwards…. Thems the rules 

• Thanks 1

been watching the same 3 minutes of rugby for the last hour. kick. drop it. scrum. penalty to them. and again. 

fair play to them tbf cos they is one hell of an effort and a game plan to execute the exact same thing time and time again. 

Just now, ttfn said:

Again I’m not sure he’s explained it at all, he’s just said he thinks the referee is right. I need somebody to show me in the replay what the offence is.

Again, appreciate that I may not be the target audience and perhaps it’s my failing rather than the broadcaster.

To be fair here, its quite hard to explain to someone who literally doesn't know at all without the use of a few diagrams and still images and the like. 

If it was being played at American football pace they could probably stop after penalties freeze it, put some arrows on the image etc to show you where props are driving wonky or pushing up or not binding etc. 

But it's kinda hard to do in open play.