Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Would VAR have overturned?

International break is here, the WAGs are fighting it out and we don’t have to much to complain about at the minute. So let’s look at some classic city goals and ask if they were scored today would VAR overturn them? (This is not a thread about the merits of VAR)

I will start with the Steve Walsh equaliser against the Sheep I the playoff final.

3:15 for the goal

13 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

International break is here, the WAGs are fighting it out and we don’t have to much to complain about at the minute. So let’s look at some classic city goals and ask if they were scored today would VAR overturn them? (This is not a thread about the merits of VAR)

I will start with the Steve Walsh equaliser against the Sheep I the playoff final.

3:15 for the goal

The guy on the line for Derby gets me every time I see this goal. Fantastic defending! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Donk said:

Erland Johnssen. Chelsea away. FA cup quarter final.

That had to be overturned.

And that one v Swindon at Wembley. 

Two howlers

This is an interesting one as we haven’t seen a penalty given that was overturned yet, would the Johnssen one qualify as a clear and obvious error?

3 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

This is an interesting one as we haven’t seen a penalty given that was overturned yet, would the Johnssen one qualify as a clear and obvious error?

No question it should have been, but VAR in it's current form would have backed the referees decision, given him promotion for an outstanding decision, and retrospectively a red card given to all our defense who argued over the 'fouled' Johnssen!

Edited by ThaiFox

55 minutes ago, TK95 said:

They would have reviewed the penalty surely. And it happened in the same phase so it's just whether they deemed it a clear and obvious error.

I don't think they are that sophisticated yet, one at a time...

That's what they do in rugby though and they did review an Ajax goal in the CL last year (away at Real) to check if a ball had gone out of play a few phases before the goal was scored. Not sure they would feel comfortable on a 50/50 foul.

• Like 1

I am not a supporter of VAR for three reasons - (1) it destroy spontaneous celebration (our's and other's) and this will in time break the emotional value we get form supporting and watching our team; (2) if it has to be there then it has to be an independent review of the evidence to establish the truth... (like in cricket and the appeal court)... right now it only seeks to correct a ref if to do otherwise would look daft... it is therefore implemented by the powers that be as long as it doesn't undermined the ref too often.  But by doing this the Refs will not improve - they will not realize their biases, blind spots and proneness to error that might come with such feedback. (3) I would rather we had controversy about reffing decisions rather  than about the implementation of VAR.  WE still debate lampard's goal or winning the world cup in 66... that's is entertainment and fan participation... the FA have no idea!