Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Milo

Does anyone offset their carbon footprint?

As this is quite on trend at the moment, I thought I'd look into doing it.

The calculator I used came out at about 5 tonnes for me, and then gave a variety of schemes to offset that amount. They ranged from planting trees in an area of your choice (I'm assuming not exactly where I choose!), schemes in developing areas of the world - panama wind energy, Philippines solar power, Chinese hydropower plants, etc.

Does anyone on here do this? Are there some causes that are more successful/beneficial than others, or does the money get swallowed up by large corporations and nothing really changes?

Any recommended schemes that have shown to make a difference?  

39 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Encouraging tech changes in the way we generate energy, use transport and process resources (by any one of many different means) is by far the best way to offset....indeed, it might be the only way that really works effectively.

So not worth doing the offsetting thing, then?

I have been wondering this. I did some googling and found sites where you can pay a donation to do the type of stuff you listed, but I was unsure where it’s just a bit gimmicky and it’s not really making as much difference as they say. A friend of mine works for Lush who campaign about such things and she also blogs about this type of stuff, so will ask her if there’s any particularly good options to consider (well, other than her number one suggestion which I know will be to not fly to hot countries on holiday :cry:).

Pah, Old hat, we were doing this year's ago. Remember one particular time late of a boozy evening down our local when we must have became concerned about our green credentials. So with the kind of militant action the ER would be proud of the Christmas tree was taken out, tinsel and all,  and planted in the middle of a neighbor's front garden. 

Edited by Vlad the Fox
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, oxford blue said:

If it was possible, a more effective solution to planting trees would be to stop the burning of forests in Africa, Brazil and Indonesia. It'e estimated there is around 650 million acres in Africa alone - picture below from end of August this year

image.png

We should all fly over there to stop that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Milo said:

So not worth doing the offsetting thing, then?

Not at all - perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm saying that planting trees is a bloody good idea, but helping - in whatever way - to get better energy schemes off the ground in as many places as possible is better.

It’s a good point …. We don’t take it seriously enough

We should insist on using products/ booking tickets that off set, but, that’s expensive, so, green credentials go out of the window when we’re expected to pay more …. 

i fly a lot for work, I have, however, with an engineer, come up with a product that extends its useable life by double the amount …. Which has a huge carbon offset impact, so, I can sleep easy!!!  Car manufactures are pretty bad as components become increasingly disposable and less repairable as they view it as a way of making money in the after market…. A whole CSR approach needs to take place to look at the way we make things and attempt to extend usable life …. Profitability gets in the way

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

It’s a good point …. We don’t take it seriously enough

We should insist on using products/ booking tickets that off set, but, that’s expensive, so, green credentials go out of the window when we’re expected to pay more …. 

i fly a lot for work, I have, however, with an engineer, come up with a product that extends its useable life by double the amount …. Which has a huge carbon offset impact, so, I can sleep easy!!!  Car manufactures are pretty bad as components become increasingly disposable and less repairable as they view it as a way of making money in the after market…. A whole CSR approach needs to take place to look at the way we make things and attempt to extend usable life …. Profitability gets in the way

Greed gets in the way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Greed gets in the way.

I wrote that and typed over it…. I know what you mean, but, these things are driven my share holders etc.  Greed is perhaps too simplistic…. We just need to adjust what we perceive to be value…

• Like 1

On 13/10/2019 at 09:52, Wolfox said:

I wrote that and typed over it…. I know what you mean, but, these things are driven my share holders etc.  Greed is perhaps too simplistic…. We just need to adjust what we perceive to be value…

We are shareholders though - our pensions and investments. How many people chose Green investment profiles?  It would be a brave move with your pension pot.