Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

FT General Election Poll 2019

FT General Election 2019  

501 members have voted

1. 1. Which party will be getting your vote?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Brexit Party
    • Green Party
    • Other

42 minutes ago, MattP said:

Did you vote for Williamson last time out?

32 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I hate myself for it, but yes I did.

If the seat had been less marginal I'd never have considered it.

Does he have a history of being a penis? I didn't hear of him from his first spell in Parliament and the first I saw of him was a BBC News East Midlands report around the 2017 General Election, he only seemed to go full Stalin after the antisemitism issue.

2 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Does he have a history of being a penis? I didn't hear of him from his first spell in Parliament and the first I saw of him was a BBC News East Midlands report around the 2017 General Election, he only seemed to go full Stalin after the antisemitism issue.

Just seems a pretty strange candidate and politician full stop.

First term (2010–15)

In the 2010 general election, Williamson was elected for Derby North with a majority of 613 over the Conservative candidate.

Williamson supported Ed Miliband in the 2010 Labour leadership election.

In October 2010, he became Shadow Fire and Emergency Services Minister within the Shadow Communities and Local Government team after just four months as an MP but, after a reshuffle of the shadow cabinet in 2013, was replaced by Lyn Brown. He served as a member of the Communities and Local Government Committee between July and November 2010 and from November 2013 to March 2015.

In 2014, he voted to support the Cameron coalition's 2011 military intervention in Libya and the British action against ISIS in Iraq. In April 2018, Williamson said that, while he was initially undetermined, he was "naive" to support the votes. He abstained on the Immigration Bill in 2014, following an instruction from Labour whips, saying later: "I have to say—if I'm being honest—I didn't study it enough or fully appreciate the implications."

He was one of 16 signatories of an open letter to Ed Miliband in January 2015 calling on the party to oppose further austerity, take rail franchises back into public ownership and strengthen collective bargaining arrangements.

At the 2015 general election, Williamson lost the Derby North seat to Amanda Solloway of the Conservative Party by 41 votes. Labour Leader Jeremy Corbyn described Williamson in early 2016 as a "very great friend", saying that his defeat at the 2015 general election was "the worst result of that night"

-------

He's clearly very good friends with Corbyn and maybe that's clouding his judgement.  From that he looks like the worst type of greasy poll climber.

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

He's clearly very good friends with Corbyn and maybe that's clouding his judgement.  From that he looks like the worst type of greasy poll climber.

Williamson might have been a greasy pole climber, but would have slid down the poll, I suspect. 

Maybe he'll stand in Shrewsbury against Tory MP Daniel Kawczynski?

Then he'd be standing against a Pole. He'd have a long way to climb, though, as Kawczyncki is 6ft 8in.

Perhaps he could climb the pole of the Pole, as Kawczynski has announced that he's bisexual. Pure speculation as to whether that would help Williamson's poll rating....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Kawczynski

In 2000, Kawczynski married Kate Lumb and they had a daughter. They divorced in 2011. In June 2013, he announced to his Conservative Association that his new partner is male. He is the second MP in Britain to come out as bisexual, the first being Liberal Democrat Simon Hughes. At 6 feet 8 12 inches (204.5 cm), Kawczynski claimed after his first election in 2005 to be the tallest MP in history and "officially a giant".

Sorry, getting giddy again after all these Tory fiascos....just getting false hopes up.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Williamson might have been a greasy pole climber, but would have slid down the poll, I suspect. 

Then he'd be standing against a Pole. He'd have a long way to climb, though, as Kawczyncki is 6ft 8in.

Perhaps he could climb the pole of the Pole, as Kawczynski has announced that he's bisexual. Pure speculation as to whether that would help Williamson's poll rating....

In 2000, Kawczynski married Kate Lumb and they had a daughter. They divorced in 2011. In June 2013, he announced to his Conservative Association that his new partner is male. He is the second MP in Britain to come out as bisexual, the first being Liberal Democrat Simon Hughes. At 6 feet 8 12 inches (204.5 cm), Kawczynski claimed after his first election in 2005 to be the tallest MP in history and "officially a giant".

Sorry, getting giddy again after all these Tory fiascos....just getting false hopes up.

Ahh Daniel Kawczynski, the guy screaming 'traitors' whilst simultaneously asking his 'friends' in Polish government to veto the extension.

18 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I'm now intrigued as to whether or not that is the case. The only rival male I can see to his throne is Sir Louis Gluckstein, who was 6ft 7. 

Antoinette Sandbach is 6ft 5 making her the tallest ever female MP. Apparently 4ft 10 is the shortest with a few candidates for the position.

The infamous Sir Cyril Smith was apparently the heaviest at 30st. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, David Guiza said:

I'm now intrigued as to whether or not that is the case. The only rival male I can see to his throne is Sir Louis Gluckstein, who was 6ft 7. 

Antoinette Sandbach is 6ft 5 making her the tallest ever female MP. Apparently 4ft 10 is the shortest with a few candidates for the position.

The infamous Sir Cyril Smith was apparently the heaviest at 30st. 

"Cyril Smith has bought a water bed, it's called Lake Windermere" - classic Bernard Manning.

I actually met Sandbach a few years ago and it was genuinely scary how tall she was for a woman, not her fault but just completely freakish.

Just now, MattP said:

"Cyril Smith has bought a water bed, it's called Lake Windermere" - classic Bernard Manning.

I actually met Sandbach a few years ago and it was genuinely scary how tall she was for a woman, not her fault but just completely freakish.

lol I only really know of Cyril Smith post death with the allegations etc - but Google images was not kind to the man when I did a quick search. How the hell did he make it to 82?  

I know it can't be helped, but I do find myself amazed when women are taller than me (6ft 3) so I think I'd have been equally taken aback!  

2 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

Have it on good authority he's always been a real piece of work.

Sent my missus a nice letter about her backing an animal rights petition mind.

• Thanks 1

#resignforChris trending with lots of tweets and pictures of membership cards being cut up lol

I know he's popular amongst left wing Labour members now but he's not some martyr, this is ludicrous.

Sure the local party can shift another momentum backed nutter into the seat anyway. 

15 minutes ago, MattP said:

#resignforChris trending with lots of tweets and pictures of membership cards being cut up lol

I know he's popular amongst left wing Labour members now but he's not some martyr, this is ludicrous.

Sure the local party can shift another momentum backed nutter into the seat anyway. 

I've looked and I see the same two stock images used time and again. 

Some with more than a touch of irony, but mostly by ridiculous twit-bots.

1 minute ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Can't argue with that.  I'm sure Bridgen could utter a word or two though after dropping his fag end in the bin.

I'm still chuckling at that speech.

"Fag End" - He knew exactly what he was doing as well talking about the relationship between John Bercow and Keith Vaz. lol

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Trump-esque.

I'm listening to Cleverly just criticising everyone else.  We didn't want an election, whatever, you kept calling for one for weeks but were turned down.  Scared apparently, but I'm sure it was something to do with No Deal still being on the table.

Is there anyone likeable at the top end of this party atm?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Didn't see this one coming - Tom Watson standing down.

I'm not that surprised, except maybe about the timing. It's a big loss in that I think Labour would do much, much better with him at the helm, but he's looked like he's in a different party for ages