Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dorkingfox

Leicester Mercury - Sport

I have pulled the plug on the Mercury website, I do not like the garbage they write and the leaning to the top six clubs, it is supposed to be about local sport and not the constant rubbish about our players going to one of the supposed top six, I can read that garbage in the national rags.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dorkingfox said:

I have pulled the plug on the Mercury website, I do not like the garbage they write and the leaning to the top six clubs, it is supposed to be about local sport and not the constant rubbish about our players going to one of the supposed top six, I can read that garbage in the national rags.

TBF, the shit-show that is "Leicestershire Live" has been discussed on here quite a bit. It's a mess, and they haven't adapted quickly enough with the times. 

I don't live in Leicester any more, so I don't buy the paper but others on here have said that the actual content in the hard-copy is much better.

Honestly, you get all the insight you need aggregated right here on FoxesTalk, with the added bonus of concise and pertinent opinion.

It's the only place you need, friend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RoboFox said:

TBF, the shit-show that is "Leicestershire Live" has been discussed on here quite a bit. It's a mess, and they haven't adapted quickly enough with the times. 

I don't live in Leicester any more, so I don't buy the paper but others on here have said that the actual content in the hard-copy is much better.

Honestly, you get all the insight you need aggregated right here on FoxesTalk, with the added bonus of concise and pertinent opinion.

I agree and the paper is not much better.

19 minutes ago, The Syrup said:

Only thing worse than the 'journalism' on the Leicestershire Live site is its comments section. Inhabited by moaning racist scumbags for the most part

I'm surprised you're able to make it that far down the page without having a seizure. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

Must be new here.

Seriously, I tend to agree with you. on the odd occasion that I have managed to see a copy of the mercury, the content generally is much better. The Leicestershire live page is all about getting click throughs and adverts. If you look at other "local" news websites they all have exactly the same format and often carry the same stories just with a slightly altered emphasis. They all come the same publisher.

TBF the Mercury has not been an independent local paper for many years now and is part of a wider publishing group also now but at least it does carry mainly local news

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

They do. If you actually paid to buy the paper, you'd know that.

Don't want to pay? Don't expect quality. It's simple.

You get people constantly cutting and pasting full articles from behind paywalls and going on about how they haven't bought the Mercury in twenty years, and then complaining about how the sites are full of ads and journalists only write about the top clubs

• Like 2

I do sympathise slightly with the Mercury. The days of the local paper getting access to the club are long gone but the appetite of supporters hasn't. They've got to get their stories from somewhere to even compete just a tiny bit with the constant noise that is generated around PL clubs, especially in the time of digital journalism.

The click-bait stuff really does wind me up the wall though. All of this "so-and-so said this and Leicester fans will love/hate it" nonsense and it ends up being someone like Allardyce saying Vardy is playing well. Nobody really cares.

Not here to act the salesman, but I subscribed to The Athletic a couple of months ago and genuinely can’t read football journalism from any other source without being disappointed that it doesn’t live up to the quality offered by The Athletic.

Mr Tanner has been banging out some beautiful pieces about Leicester, but even the articles about other teams are well worth the read just for the quality and depth of the analysis.

You get what you pay for. If you want a free news source, put up with lower quality reporting and an abundance of ads. If not, fork out for the quality.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Lestoh said:

Not here to act the salesman, but I subscribed to The Athletic a couple of months ago and genuinely can’t read football journalism from any other source without being disappointed that it doesn’t live up to the quality offered by The Athletic.

Mr Tanner has been banging out some beautiful pieces about Leicester, but even the articles about other teams are well worth the read just for the quality and depth of the analysis.

You get what you pay for. If you want a free news source, put up with lower quality reporting and an abundance of ads. If not, fork out for the quality.

What's your user name and password? 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Lestoh said:

I did the same

I have also subscribed to The Athletic, but since I'm an American, I'm sure I get more out of it than some just following football.

Tanner, I think, is getting settled and his work getting better (today's piece with Walsh was outstanding, although there was obviously bad blood between him and Ranieri, and some score-settling and narrative-controlling quotes I would have liked to see some follow up on); I do think he had to get used to breaking the Trinity Media template.

I seriously don't understand why clubs are so closed off from local media in the UK, especially when the national media is so fixated on the "Big 6". It's the opposite in the US.

I think this has been reflected in The Athletic's coverage of Leicester City -- two of their biggest LCFC stories (on Demarai and Rodgers) were done by their national correspondents, not Tanner, the beat reporter.

• Like 3

Top stories in the Merc online today. Clickbait central.

Frank Lampard fuels transfer speculation of Chelsea move for Leicester City star

'Off the wall' - Liverpool star makes brilliant Leicester City admission - and Manchester City fans will love it

'Interest' - Leicester City hero makes Liverpool transfer admission

'Do it' - Manchester City fans make Leicester City transfer demand

'Replacement' - Manchester City and Chelsea linked with Leicester City star

'Wanted' - Leicester City man offered transfer escape route

4 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Top stories in the Merc online today. Clickbait central.

Frank Lampard fuels transfer speculation of Chelsea move for Leicester City star

'Off the wall' - Liverpool star makes brilliant Leicester City admission - and Manchester City fans will love it

'Interest' - Leicester City hero makes Liverpool transfer admission

'Do it' - Manchester City fans make Leicester City transfer demand

'Replacement' - Manchester City and Chelsea linked with Leicester City star

'Wanted' - Leicester City man offered transfer escape route

'Bothered' - Leicester City fan in Buxton takes no notice shocker.

• Haha 2