Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Strokes

Getting brexit done!

10 minutes ago, Strokes said:

There isn’t much I can disagree with you on this, you’re sceptical with good reason and if I’m honest, I don’t see how it can be as encompassing as a pooled approach. That hopefully doesn’t mean we abandon it altogether.

I don’t doubt my knowledge on scientific research pales into insignificance compared to yours and others on here but I do hope we prevail to see plenty of successes on this island all the same. My 10 year old boy is completely besotted with science and astrology and his knowledge puts mine to shame. Time will tell.

Yeah, I don't disagree with you there either. World scientific research success is critical for human future, and the last time I checked the UK is still part of the world so whatever pathway they choose to take I hope that it turns out to be the "right" one.

NB. If you need any recommendations on learning tools/books for your lad concerning science, do let me know if you wish.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

What makes you think the replacement scheme will be anywhere as inclusive (and therefore effective) as Erasmus was when the UK government could simply have asked to hold onto it in negotiations if they were really interested in such schemes at all?

Because politics. The Erasmus scheme was a useful tool for building European identity framed in a way that gives current and future intellectual elites a hard on. You can support such a scheme without being wedded to a specific scheme, you know you can create your own thing that you can sell as being about Global Britain rather then Europe. 

Whether they do or not idk, but it’s pretty flimsy to say not wanting to hold onto Erasmus means they can’t be interested in an having effective scheme.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Yeah, I don't disagree with you there either. World scientific research success is critical for human future, and the last time I checked the UK is still part of the world so whatever pathway they choose to take I hope that it turns out to be the "right" one.

NB. If you need any recommendations on learning tools/books for your lad concerning science, do let me know if you wish.

Yes please.

Anything that takes time away from the PlayStation is a good thing in my mind. 

14 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Because politics. The Erasmus scheme was a useful tool for building European identity framed in a way that gives current and future intellectual elites a hard on. You can support such a scheme without being wedded to a specific scheme, you know you can create your own thing that you can sell as being about Global Britain rather then Europe. 

Whether they do or not idk, but it’s pretty flimsy to say not wanting to hold onto Erasmus means they can’t be interested in an having effective scheme.

Evidently we had different views on what the Erasmus scheme is, then. There was me thinking that it was the opportunity for variance of educational sources, rather than cultural exchange, that was the main idea.

And is that a hint of anti-intellectualism coming through even though you pretty much are one yourself, Kopf? That's practically Zen. :D

Only time is going to tell if the UK government do invest the necessary time and effort to make this work as will as Erasmus has, but I think I have every reason to be sceptical of their motivation and therefore their odds of success.

12 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Yes please.

Anything that takes time away from the PlayStation is a good thing in my mind. 

I'll compile a list when I can and send you a message. :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

They seemed to be ok (with a margin of error) about the man heading into the White House later this month though... :ph34r:

(Despite all the con artistry the current occupant and his followers are attempting.)

or her followers, if we are talking about Scottish independence:ph34r:

2 hours ago, Claridge said:

Seems strange that the people so keen to leave the union want to join another on though.Especially as they will have to pay into that one. Mind you, whenever there is a vote they don't vote to leave anyway.The opinion polls may say otherwise,but then we all know they can't be trusted.

It would be strange if the EU was on the verge of collapse and countries were desperate to leave, which they are not.

12 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

So Brexit is inconvenient for Portuguese citizens living in Portugal.  Should we care?  When the Portuguese go do the polls, do they consider the effect on people in England?

No you've completely missed the point. It's become inconvenient for British people who chose to live wherever in  Eu.When before they had very little obstacles put in their way..

I'm sure the Europeans living in the Uk may find similar difficulties. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Evidently we had different views on what the Erasmus scheme is, then. There was me thinking that it was the opportunity for variance of educational sources, rather than cultural exchange, that was the main idea.

And is that a hint of anti-intellectualism coming through even though you pretty much are one yourself, Kopf? That's practically Zen. :D

Only time is going to tell if the UK government do invest the necessary time and effort to make this work as will as Erasmus has, but I think I have every reason to be sceptical of their motivation and therefore their odds of success.

I'll compile a list when I can and send you a message. :thumbup:

Sounds like exactly the same thing to be just dressed up to give intellectuals the maximum hard on. You say tomato, I say tomato.

I don’t really think observing what gets intellectuals off is particularly anti-intellectualism. Though I’m more than happy to wear that crown. The modern, favoured vision of intellectualism is just drab hyper-rationalism dressed up to give hyper-rationalists a hard on. I admit I fall prey to that at times but I’m trying my damnedest not to so I opt-out of identifying as an intellectual 

19 minutes ago, Claridge said:

That the EU will welcome Scotland without any harsh pre conditions for a start. Be licking their lips I should think, Scotland offer very little to the EU otherwise

No harsher than the price we pay as being part of the UK. 

I would also be interested to see you quote her say that the conditions wouldnt be harsh!

1 minute ago, Foxy_Bear said:

No harsher than the price we pay as being part of the UK. 

I would also be interested to see you quote her say that the conditions wouldnt be harsh!

Id be interested to see you show me how Scotland are treated harshly as being part of the UK.Laughable claim

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Claridge said:

Seems strange that the people so keen to leave the union want to join another on though.Especially as they will have to pay into that one. Mind you, whenever there is a vote they don't vote to leave anyway.The opinion polls may say otherwise,but then we all know they can't be trusted.

It's not so much that we want to join another one, rather more we never wanted to leave in the first place but we don't get a say in that. 

And that ONE time we did agree to stay was done so based on the lie fed to us that it would ensure our place in the EU. 

As part of the United Kingdom, Scotland benefits from public spending that is around 10% higher than the UK average. This helps fund vital public services like health, education and transport. By staying in the United Kingdom, Scotland's public services are more affordable.

15 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Absolutely spot on. 

One of the major issues we have is that (most of) the MP's sitting in Parliment right aren't a fair representation of the people they are supposed to represent. 

At one point, two thirds of the cabinet were millionaires, 79% were privately educated, around 80% were landlords, 6.3% were ethnic..... How can these people fairly and accurately represent the likes of me n you? 

This it they are so far removed from reality it's staggering that people can't see that. They put their money behind the vote to make sure it would succeed.

There can be only one reason to drive up their wealth while ordinary will pay the price.

The Eu is not perfect but they should have stayed in and fought for the changes needed by forming alliances with other Countries. They would have won support not only from other countries but equally from ordinary citizens all across Europe. Instead they only thought of themselves.

The Ball is very much in their court now. I just hope they don't drop it.

3 minutes ago, Claridge said:

Id be interested to see you show me how Scotland are treated harshly as being part of the UK.Laughable claim

Being forced to pay £180m each year to house nuclear weapons that the people of Scotland don't want because it's "too dangerous" to house in England and an incident here would be "acceptable collateral damage".

Letting Americans store nuclear weapons here. 

Having no say in who rules us. 

Having a prime minister who believes "a pound spent in Croydon is better than a pound spent in Strathclyde" or even that we should have devolved powers in the first place.

Awarding scouting shipbuilding and steel contracts elsewhere in the UK and not replacing the industry. 

Being Guinea pigs for experiments such as poll tax and bedroom tax. 

Paying 9.7% of UK tax when we only make up 8.2% of the population. 

Paying a higher rate of tax for less money than the rest of the UK. 

That's off of the top of my head.... I'm sure I could find more if I looked it up.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Paying 9.7% of UK tax when we only make up 8.2% of the population. 

Paying a higher rate of tax for less money than the rest of the UK. 

I’m not looking to get into another battle and I might have this completely wrong, but isn’t Tax completely set by the devolved nations now? 

13 minutes ago, Claridge said:

In your opinion you mean, yet you claim to speak for the whole of Scotland. 

None of my previous post was opinion. It was all fact and I invite you to fact check every single point although I'm sure you won't as it's far more beneficial to your narrative to not bother. 

My opinion on scottish independence is my own, I don't claim to speak for the whole country, I am acutely aware that I infact share an opinion with the minority. 

42 minutes ago, Claridge said:

As part of the United Kingdom, Scotland benefits from public spending that is around 10% higher than the UK average. This helps fund vital public services like health, education and transport. By staying in the United Kingdom, Scotland's public services are more affordable.

Public spending in Scotland is around 9% despite only contributing 8%, this is true. HOWEVER what is missing from those figures is revenue from oil and gas which is attributed to UK revenue which would come close to offsetting that and the difference would be made up in not having enforced spending such as the aforementioned Trident. 

It's also interesting that you mention Health and education as the Scottish government prioritises these things and actually syphons funds to it from other parts of our allocated budget/pocket money allowing us things like free prescriptions and higher education as the allocated budget we are given for these sectors is what we believe to be inadequate.

57 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Sounds like exactly the same thing to be just dressed up to give intellectuals the maximum hard on. You say tomato, I say tomato.

I don’t really think observing what gets intellectuals off is particularly anti-intellectualism. Though I’m more than happy to wear that crown. The modern, favoured vision of intellectualism is just drab hyper-rationalism dressed up to give hyper-rationalists a hard on. I admit I fall prey to that at times but I’m trying my damnedest not to so I opt-out of identifying as an intellectual 

Seems different to me, but it's a Sunday evening, City are about to play and so I'm not massively up for my usual semantics.

Can't say that I see much critique of hyper-rationalism going on in the anti-intellectual arguments I read about - I know a learned person like yourself can add a lot of nuance to your arguments against the modern form of intellectualism but for me a lot of what is out there simply seems like viewpoints taken from a position of ignorance should have equal merit to those taken from a position of knowledge - "It's my opinion, and I'm entitled to it being of equal weight to your fact."

Call me an elitist if you like, but on certain matters (only), that isn't altogether good.