Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Strokes

Getting brexit done!

4 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

No you've completely missed the point. It's become inconvenient for British people who chose to live wherever in  Eu.When before they had very little obstacles put in their way..

I'm sure the Europeans living in the Uk may find similar difficulties. 

looks like it’s started , I think a lot of brits abroad are going to get a big shock in the next few months 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9108199/British-expats-flying-home-Spain-stopped-boarding-BA-flight-Heathrow-Madrid.html

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, grth2004 said:

looks like it’s started , I think a lot of brits abroad are going to get a big shock in the next few months 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9108199/British-expats-flying-home-Spain-stopped-boarding-BA-flight-Heathrow-Madrid.html

So as the article says, the UK and Spanish governments have nesured that the arrangements for UK expatriates travelling to and from Spain haven't changed.  So that's good news, right?  

3 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Seems different to me, but it's a Sunday evening, City are about to play and so I'm not massively up for my usual semantics.

Can't say that I see much critique of hyper-rationalism going on in the anti-intellectual arguments I read about - I know a learned person like yourself can add a lot of nuance to your arguments against the modern form of intellectualism but for me a lot of what is out there simply seems like viewpoints taken from a position of ignorance should have equal merit to those taken from a position of knowledge - "It's my opinion, and I'm entitled to it being of equal weight to your fact."

Call me an elitist if you like, but on certain matters (only), that isn't altogether good.

It’s obviously right to desire fact be placed above opinion, not elitist. Though ofc the notion of a fact can be a dangerous barrier to entry.

Yeah I think there’s a difference between being anti-intellectual in the sense that you just ignore anything anyone with knowledge says because you don’t like it and what I mean. You’re more referring to people being anti-intellectual (which I probably also am but that’s cos I think everyone isn’t a ****) than an actual ism. Wanting or deciding something to be true and post-hoc finding some reasoning for it isn’t really anti-intellectualism (which maybe I do overly conflate with hyper-rationalism), it’s more just babies throwing their toys out of the pram.

I do have a problem with the fetishisation of ‘expert’ that means what they say is ‘fact’ and saying something in contrast to that is derided. I mean we see the situation where the currency of expert is default wrt COVID such that the anti-intellectual types you refer to find someone that won a Nobel prize for something unrelated 30 years ago and say ‘wot u fink u no more than Nobel prize winner’.

2 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

So as the article says, the UK and Spanish governments have nesured that the arrangements for UK expatriates travelling to and from Spain haven't changed.  So that's good news, right?  

The article is wrong tbh, if they were trying to use their NIE numbers as it states, they are not proof of residency, and as the rules at the moment are that only Spanish residents can enter the country they were correct to be refused. An NIE number is similar to a national insurance number, and does not prove residency. Anyone can get one. 

The TIE is however proof of residence, and expats have had months to apply. 

As the article confirms, both remain valid, but as only the TIE proves residency, as far as I can tell nothing was done wrong.

It has been made very clear for weeks that you need proof of residency to enter Spain atm, and an NIE card isn't. 

As already explained, if people have been living here without adhering to the rules they are going to come unstuck now. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Yea your right in a way but it will be a bumpy ride for a good year I reckon whilst all the red tape and passport issues are sorted and also the 90 day rule is going to catch some expats out if they get caught staying longer. It will be interesting to see if it’s enforced. 

5 hours ago, grth2004 said:

I doubt it, they’ve had several years to understand the implications and apply for settled status.  Like my Dad in France has.  

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

It’s obviously right to desire fact be placed above opinion, not elitist. Though ofc the notion of a fact can be a dangerous barrier to entry.

Yeah I think there’s a difference between being anti-intellectual in the sense that you just ignore anything anyone with knowledge says because you don’t like it and what I mean. You’re more referring to people being anti-intellectual (which I probably also am but that’s cos I think everyone isn’t a ****) than an actual ism. Wanting or deciding something to be true and post-hoc finding some reasoning for it isn’t really anti-intellectualism (which maybe I do overly conflate with hyper-rationalism), it’s more just babies throwing their toys out of the pram.

I do have a problem with the fetishisation of ‘expert’ that means what they say is ‘fact’ and saying something in contrast to that is derided. I mean we see the situation where the currency of expert is default wrt COVID such that the anti-intellectual types you refer to find someone that won a Nobel prize for something unrelated 30 years ago and say ‘wot u fink u no more than Nobel prize winner’.

Disagree with none of that, particularly the last paragraph resonates.

The worst thing about it all for me (and why I have not much time for anti-intellectualism of the type I'm referring to) is that is that such attitudes can and do have a quantifiable cost in human death and suffering that would otherwise be avoidable, indeed we're seeing it right now with Covid.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Apparently companies in Europe not keen on selling small packages to U.K. now due to change in tax laws .......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55530721

"Bicycle part firm Dutch Bike Bits said from now on, it would ship to every country in the world except the UK.
"We are forced by British policy to stop dealing with British customers," it said on its website.
Another firm, Belgium-based Beer On Web, said it was now shunning the UK "due to the new Brexit measures".
The companies are angry because they now face higher costs and increased bureaucracy in order to comply with UK tax authorities."

57 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Apparently companies in Europe not keen on selling small packages to U.K. now due to change in tax laws .......

Might be thinking of something different but if my memory is right the changes the UK have made now with VAT are pretty much the same as what the EU will be doing later this year, think in June/July? What's good for the goose eh.. 

Seems fair enough. If you make enough money from a country you'll sort it out and pay the fees you need to pay, if it's not cost effective you won't, and somebody else will fill the void. 

Might actually see the rebirth of British manufacturing. Might be why we've just dropped £140k on a new machine due to arrive in the next few days/weeks. :D

• Like 2

BBC reporter in Dover seemed genuinely peed off on the dinner time news that trucks were rolling off/on smoothly with no queues or issues. Kept prompting an official to say that its all going to shite but all he got was its early days but very encouraging. Perhaps the correspondent just didn't like being out in the rain. 

12 hours ago, st albans fox said:

One of the benefits of Brexit could be that we buy more British-made stuff.

IN TRUTH THOUGH - AND LIKE THE REST OF THE COUNTRY - I HAVEN'T GOT A CLUE

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Fightforever said:

Guess it really was project fear then. Dover seems fine.

Still early days to say whether it is or isn't. The point I was making, as I'm sure you know, regards the apparently disappointed journo not having a crisis to report. 

In other news, this has aged well :rolleyes:

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/10/uk-poised-to-shun-eu-coronavirus-vaccine-scheme?__twitter_impression=true

• Like 3

8 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

One of the benefits of Brexit could be that we buy more British-made stuff.

IN TRUTH THOUGH - AND LIKE THE REST OF THE COUNTRY - I HAVEN'T GOT A CLUE

One of the benefits of a crippling injury crisis is that unproven young players get some first team experience. 

For those worried about Health cover within Europe now that we have lost the EHIC you can now apply for the GHIC on the gov. website its free & what does it cover:-

If you're a UK national living in the UK, the only real difference is in the name: 

• The EHIC entitles you to the same treatment at state-run hospitals and GPs in the EU that locals are entitled to, at the same cost (so in some cases it could be free). 
  • The GHIC does the same, but despite being called a 'Global' Health Insurance Card, like the EHIC, it too only works within the EU. 

So no issue there then.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

For those worried about Health cover within Europe now that we have lost the EHIC you can now apply for the GHIC on the gov. website its free & what does it cover:-

If you're a UK national living in the UK, the only real difference is in the name: 

• The EHIC entitles you to the same treatment at state-run hospitals and GPs in the EU that locals are entitled to, at the same cost (so in some cases it could be free). 
  • The GHIC does the same, but despite being called a 'Global' Health Insurance Card, like the EHIC, it too only works within the EU. 

So no issue there then.

Except neither card now offers you  cover in Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.

Edited by Robo61