Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Strokes

Getting brexit done!

28 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

We ain’t talking like a few left - I mean completely empty shelves at a minute past opening. 

Norn Iron in particular has issues where supermarkets have confirmed reduced selection. 

It will settle down as the new procedures get more organised and efficient but the hauliers asked for a 60 day grace period to get this organisation in place 

Fair enough.

You would think that since there were already two systems in place, one for EU and one for non-EU, they would be able to tailor one or other to work properly.  Obviously not.

Out of interest, is it the EU stuff or the non-EU stuff that's not getting through?  Or both?

47 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Ah yes.  If we don't talk about the bad things happening it means they're not happening.  Just ignore the fishermen, they served their purpose with the pre-referendum arguments, no need to pretend to care about them anymore.

Of course if me or any other left-leaning poster were to have spent the last week of silence in this thread pressing the point home about what's going on with border customs we'd have been accused of revelling in bad news and rubbing it in people's noses.  It shouldn't be left to the people who voted against this mess to be the only ones paying any heed to its consequences, but I'd be lying if I said I expected any different.

The "left-leaning" posters on here have spent the last 4 years complaining, and now we're supposed to take the surprising silence as a bad thing? Might want to pull the other leg. :D

3 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

The "left-leaning" posters on here have spent the last 4 years complaining, and now we're supposed to take the surprising silence as a bad thing? Might want to pull the other leg. :D

*Warning.

But do you have anything to say about the customs fiasco and the harm it's causing to people's livelihoods or our leader's reluctance to take any responsibility for it?  I can only make so many posts each day so I'm not going to waste any more getting back to you if all you want to do is pretend that ignoring reality is a virtue.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

*Warning.

But do you have anything to say about the customs fiasco and the harm it's causing to people's livelihoods or our leader's reluctance to take any responsibility for it?  I can only make so many posts each day so I'm not going to waste any more getting back to you if all you want to do is pretend that ignoring reality is a virtue.

By customs fiasco you mean the paperwork for fishes or customs in general? 

If you're going by fishes the extra paperwork has been known about for a long time. Only specific complaint I can see on the BBC is one where a woman was complaining her fish were held up in Portsmouth for 24 hours, doesn't specifically say why, so hard to give a reason, I'd imagine a mixture of the build up from when France closed the boarder, exporters not sending the right paperwork down adding to delays, who knows. She then goes on to say it was held up on the french side for 7 hours, because of a paperwork error by the french person importing it. 

It's been announced that we're setting aside a few million to compensate for any delays not caused by personal error, so I'd imagine she'll be covered by that, as will many fishing companies. Far and away from "ignoring the fishermen"... Don't you think? 

If we're talking on a more general customs issues I'd say teething problems were expected and hopefully they will settle down soon as everyone adapts. :D

On 14/01/2021 at 09:02, RobHawk said:

I can't comment too much on what's happening at the moment with the ports but I know the company I work for is having great difficulty getting stock into the country and a number of shipments have been delayed. 

When I went shopping the other day, there were huge amounts of food piled up with yellow stickers on, I'm talking what must have been 1000's of chicken breasts (amongst many other things). Ask what happened and they said the stuff had literally only turned up that morning and they've had to yellow sticker the lot to get rid of it and that most of it will just go in the bin. 

9 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

By customs fiasco you mean the paperwork for fishes or customs in general? 

If you're going by fishes the extra paperwork has been known about for a long time. Only specific complaint I can see on the BBC is one where a woman was complaining her fish were held up in Portsmouth for 24 hours, doesn't specifically say why, so hard to give a reason, I'd imagine a mixture of the build up from when France closed the boarder, exporters not sending the right paperwork down adding to delays, who knows. She then goes on to say it was held up on the french side for 7 hours, because of a paperwork error by the french person importing it. 

It's been announced that we're setting aside a few million to compensate for any delays not caused by personal error, so I'd imagine she'll be covered by that, as will many fishing companies. Far and away from "ignoring the fishermen"... Don't you think? 

If we're talking on a more general customs issues I'd say teething problems were expected and hopefully they will settle down soon as everyone adapts. :D

They're adapting by landing their catches in Denmark to avoid UK red tape.  Is that a success for us?

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

They're adapting by landing their catches in Denmark to avoid UK red tape.  Is that a success for us?

Not every aspect of brexit is going to be a success, and only a fool would think otherwise. As has been pointed out time and again, there will be advantages and disadvantages to brexit. 

I'm genuinely surprised fishing has managed to be such a focal point for so many, mere weeks ago people were laughing that such an insignificant sector could hold up a trade deal. lol

On 14/01/2021 at 02:56, Carl the Llama said:

But they are some of the guys, who Wanted out..!!

Their Govt, carried out their wishes...

Edited by fuchsntf

13 minutes ago, Babylon said:

When I went shopping the other day, there were huge amounts of food piled up with yellow stickers on, I'm talking what must have been 1000's of chicken breasts (amongst many other things). Ask what happened and they said the stuff had literally only turned up that morning and they've had to yellow sticker the lot to get rid of it and that most of it will just go in the bin. 

They should just wash it in chlorine and put it on sale full price. It'll be alright. :ph34r:

17 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Not every aspect of brexit is going to be a success, and only a fool would think otherwise. As has been pointed out time and again, there will be advantages and disadvantages to brexit. 

I'm genuinely surprised fishing has managed to be such a focal point for so many, mere weeks ago people were laughing that such an insignificant sector could hold up a trade deal. lol

That's kind of the point.  I remember back in referendum times we had that flotilla on the Thames with Farage's beaming smile as he stood on a boat telling us these were the people he was fighting for (even though he was on the EU fisheries council and barely showed up to any meetings to fight for them).  They were shoved in our faces as a beacon of why Brexit is going to be good.  We called bullshit and were accused of not caring about the real working people of the UK.  Then like you say it became a focal point of the trade negotiations, not as proof of our shortsightedness and incompetence but proof our leaders were fighting for us and were going to get the best deal for us.  The topic was forced on us by the leavers and our ruling party's political strategists.  It was used to signal our power and tell us to stop whining.  But now the bull's taking steaming turds on our driveway and you want to wave it away and ask why we're talking about fish?  Unbelievable (well, not really). 

Anyway, that's the last I'll say on it today, want to keep at least a couple of posts for the match thread later.

14 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

But they are some of the guys, who Wanted out..!!

Their Govt, carried out their wishes...

It's truly sad to see.

Edited by Carl the Llama
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

That's kind of the point.  I remember back in referendum times we had that flotilla on the Thames with Farage's beaming smile as he stood on a boat telling us these were the people he was fighting for (even though he was on the EU fisheries council and barely showed up to any meetings to fight for them).  They were shoved in our faces as a beacon of why Brexit is going to be good.  We called bullshit and were accused of not caring about the real working people of the UK.  Then like you say it became a focal point of the trade negotiations, not as proof of our shortsightedness and incompetence but proof our leaders were fighting for us and were going to get the best deal for us.  The topic was forced on us by the leavers and our ruling party's political strategists.  It was used to signal our power and tell us to stop whining.  But now the bull's taking steaming turds on our driveway and you want to wave it away and ask why we're talking about fish?  Unbelievable (well, not really).  Anyway that's the last I'll say on it today, want to keep at least a couple of posts for the match thread later.

Fishing would've hardly been an issue if Barnier hadn't given us that enormous leverage on day one of the negotiations. Big mistake by Macron, an open goal, and Frost pounced on it. It wasn't forced on us by 'leavers' (whatever they were). 

What's 'left leaning' got to do with it?Most left leaners of a certain age are euro sceptics including the leader of the opposition at the time of the referendum. Have a read of the 1983 Labour manifesto to see what those on the left thought about the EEC. 

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Cheaper poultry you say? Sounds like a Brexit dividend to me 

• Haha 1