Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
everton carr

BDO Darts World Championship 2020

4 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

I still find it bemusing that people take the piss out of it at any opportunity and slate it yet continue to watch it hour after hour.

I managed five minutes the other day and that was enough, I'm afraid.

Not just the lower quality but zero atmosphere too, like being in a quiet social club.

I'm not a massive darts fan but at least the PDC has some zing and zest.

Surely half the issue with poor ticket sales is the timing of the event?

When the PDC is on over Xmas/New Year, people are still off work and on the piss. This week, everyone's back in work mode and skint.

I know the BDO can't go head to head and schedule it at the same time as the PDC, but surely they can pick a better week than this? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Izzy said:

When the PDC is on over Xmas/New Year, people are still off work and on the piss. This week, everyone's back in work mode and skint.

I know the BDO can't go head to head and schedule it at the same time as the PDC, but surely they can pick a better week than this? 

Easter week would make sense. Or the summer. Doesn't help by following the bigger and better event. Usually the latter of things is the main event, like the bill in boxing, or Skys Super Sunday. We've just had two weeks of top quality darts, nobody wants to watch an inferior competition straight after.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Easter week would make sense. Or the summer. Doesn't help by following the bigger and better event. Usually the latter of things is the main event, like the bill in boxing, or Skys Super Sunday. We've just had two weeks of top quality darts, nobody wants to watch an inferior competition straight after.

Exactly. If you and I can see it's bleedin obvious then I wonder why the BDO can't?

Bizzare..

Edited by Izzy

22 minutes ago, Izzy said:

It was always around this time of year at Lakeside though wasnt it? And they sold ok there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

It was always around this time of year at Lakeside though wasnt it? And they sold ok there.

I'm not sure tbh but it's clearly not selling now!

Certain sporting events should never leave certain venues unless they have to, the BDO World Championships moving from Lakeside was an idiotic decision.

It's the equivalent of moving Wimbledon to somewhere different or moving the World Snooker Championships from the Crucible, you just don't do it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kingfox said:

Certain sporting events should never leave certain venues unless they have to, the BDO World Championships moving from Lakeside was an idiotic decision.

It's the equivalent of moving Wimbledon to somewhere different or moving the World Snooker Championships from the Crucible, you just don't do it.

Agreed but sadly Des hates the Lakeside but it's a decision that could finish the BDO they still haven't even announced the prize money

5 hours ago, everton carr said:

Scotty Dog Mitchell against the boy wonder 14 year old Leighton Bennett should be a great game tonight.He beat Taylor and Rob Cross in an Exbo last year

he was pretty rubbish. but fair play he is 15. 

Guest Harrydc

I have read online (mainly Facebook) a large amount of people criticising the BDO for it's 'poor' standard. Don't get me wrong, I agree the quality of darts isn't the same as the PDC, but the BDO is much more than that. There are many aspiring dart players throughout the country that are all 'BDO players'. Those who play super league, county and county youth are on the BDO system. When the BDO ceases to exist (which is looking inevitable) what will happen then? Will the PDC take on super league darts? What about the youth county, which I know for a fact many young aspiring players absolutely love, and it gives them their first chance to play on a stage in front of a large number of people. Without the BDO, darts wouldn't be what it is now. 

1 hour ago, everton carr said:

Always been a great player if he can get past Jim Williams today then I think he can win the title

How come Hogan is never seeded for the world championships ? Always seems to be there as a qualifier. He’s one of the best players there in my opinion 

Edited by Lcfc82

39 minutes ago, Lcfc82 said:

How come Hogan is never seeded for the world championships ? Always seems to be there as a qualifier. He’s one of the best players there in my opinion 

It's because he hardly ever plays on the tour so don't pick up enough ranking points up during the year to be seeded