Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersLugs

NETFLIX RECOMMENDATIONS: stuff to watch

4 hours ago, mabrah said:

I liked Mindhunter though more for the subject matter and characters (especially Jeffrey Dahmer!) than anything else. The dialogue was, on occasion, clunky. 

Just started Messiah - it's excellent IMHO. Works on a number of levels too. A very well made show.

Don't remember Dahmer in it. Sure you don't mean BTK killer? Or Ed Kemper? Love the show. Dark and moody.

1 minute ago, SO1 said:

Don't remember Dahmer in it. Sure you don't mean BTK killer? Or Ed Kemper? Love the show. Dark and moody.

Yes, sorry, it was Kemper - getting my serial killers muddled. It happens ;)  

I love it when you see actors clearly enjoying their role, and Kemper was a juicy role to play. 

As an aside, the Kemper interviews (on YouTube) are fascinating viewing. His portrayal in Mindhunter is pretty darned accurate as a result. For me, what I found really scary about Kemper was his intelligence and his obvious knowledge of what he was doing and the profound insight he had into why his was doing it - all bound up in a lack of concern. He talks about killing so matter of factly. It's chilling. I reckon the actor playing Kemper captured that.

Messiah was good

Stranger things was brilliant - especially if you remember the 80's with affection.

But for me as a Sci fi lover it has to be "Dark" watch it in the original German with subs, the American accents kill it.

AVOID - The Roman Empire, utter drivel which ignores the truth to the point of absurdity! Truly awful

And (the clues in the title) " How it ends",

Big events, cataclysmic disasters which we never find out the reasons for! One of those " I just wasted 2 hrs of my life on this shite" films which could have been better spent observing the Dulux.

Taught me to IMDB films before watching and reject anything below 2/10.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 21/01/2020 at 13:37, E.Rose said:

Heard good (but disturbing) things about 'Don't F**k With Cats: Hunting an Internet Killer' 

Will probably give it a watch in the week and report back 👍

On 21/01/2020 at 22:19, E.Rose said:

Rough as hell and I’m only 30 minutes in 

Watched it all, couldn't physically watch any of the animal related parts as that was far too grim for my liking but the rest, although still very disturbing is strangely gripping. 

Personal favourites of Netflix 

Mindhunter

Dark (German language)

Stranger Things

Narcos/Narcos Mexico (part Spanish language)

Sex Education 

Last Chance U

Losers (Series documenting sports persons/teams who've lost with notoriety) 

Flint Town (documentary regards a town in USA with one of highest crime rates to the backdrop of water supply issue)

No longer on Netflix but reappeared on Amazon Prime - Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown up to Series 8 

I'll just run through some recommendations of shows I haven't seen listed yet:

Bojack Horseman - Some of you may be turned off by the fact that it's animated, but the writing is smart enough that I'd suggest you give it a try. It's a perfect juxtaposition of funny jokes, and characters suffering from crippling depression. A - List voice acting cast - Will Arnett, Alison Brie, Patton Oswalt, Aaron Paul, etc.

Breaking Bad - I can't believe this hasn't been recommended yet, but maybe because everyone has already seen it. If you are one of the few that's heard how good it is, but haven't yet watched it, shame on you lol. Don't worry about the slow pace. If you can get through the first season, you'll be hooked. 

Dark - Season 2 was pretty garbage, but season 1 was definitely worth watching. Without giving too much away, it's a science fiction drama that takes place in a small german town built around a nuclear power plant. The english dubbing is terrible, so id suggest watching it in german w/ english subtitles. 

F is for Family - It's another animated show, but it really captures the essence of living in a dysfunctional family in America during the 70s/80s. It reminds me of S1 of the Simpsons, when Homer is not some lovable idiot, and he's really more of an abusive and shameful father. Bill Burr is the creator, and he's the second funniest comedian on the planet. 

Haunting of Hill House - Probably the best "horror" TV show ever to be created. 

Kingdom - I know the zombie genre is well played out, but this is a brilliant show. It's one part 18th century, south korean, game of thrones type political drama, and one part creepy horror. There's only one season / 6 episodes, so you're not really committing to anything long-term. Season 2 is in production.

Mad Men - Another show, similar to breaking bad, in that most people have either watched it, or know what it is about.Truth be told, i was just in proximity to my wife watch the show, but it got so good I got sucked in. The drama / character development is solid, but what really stands out to me is how the show captures the time periods / historical events. 

Narcos / Narcos Mexico - Who doesn't love a good gangster film? The first three seasons tell of the rise of fall of Pablo Escobar, and let you understand the terrible effects of the war on drugs. 

I've already seen a few recommendations for Ken Burns' Vietnam War documentary. I am very interested in all things history, but I never really understood Vietnam and the era surrounding it. I've seen my fair share of Vietnam war movies, and learned about it in school, but I never had the same experience as those who lived through that time period. This documentary really changed me, and my perception of my parent's generation. It should be required viewing for students. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

Breaking Bad - I can't believe this hasn't been recommended yet, but maybe because everyone has already seen it. If you are one of the few that's heard how good it is, but haven't yet watched it, shame on you lol. Don't worry about the slow pace. If you can get through the first season, you'll be hooked

Wasn't this just epic! I binged this in 3 nights, just couldn't put it down, hated the Jesse Pinkman character to begin with but time brought out his good side and he was my fav half way through S2. Loved the dark humour

Deffo in my top 10 tv of all time.

• Like 2

I got bored with Stranger Things a few episodes into season 2. For me, it's 'magic' (essentially 80s kitsch) had played itself out by then. I also started to get irritated by Millie Bobby Brown (11) who seemed increasingly to take herself too seriously. The other kid actors managed to continue to play it all very Goonies style (appropriately) for laughs, a light touch but getting the balance right.

I've started watching Sex Education and find myself enjoying the soundtrack perhaps more than the show itself. There's a diverse mix of songs, which I guess reflects the 'could be anywhere, anytime' setting of the show. 

Given that there is such choice of viewing is the BBC's reason for existence relevant anymore?   how many would volunteer to pay the Licence ? I get my Netflix for nothing as my son has it and nominated my TV as one of the three devices he can play it on.

I think Netflix is very good value for money   ( even if I had to pay for it ) take the criminality out of not being forced to pay for the BBC extortion racket and spend that money Netflix / amazon etc . Viva revolution !

I think the streaming platforms generally have revitalised TV production. You do get a once-in-a-while decent offering on BBC or ITV but I don't they can't compete in terms of production. I do wonder though if we are reaching saturation point, as I read for example that Netflix are starting to cut back and rein budgets in. I personally can't afford to have a subscription to several streaming sites, and I suspect I'm not alone in that, so I reckon the market will get more competitive and there'll be those that fall by the wayside.

That said, the BBC isn't all about TV and film making. It provides a broader range of needs and services so one can't really equate the BBC licence fee with a Netflix subscription!

4 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Currently watching the assassination of gianni Versace which is good and I hadn’t heard of it before. Also house of cards is amazing just don’t watch the last season. Not Netflix but if anyone has NowTv then I would recommend billions.

The Versace show is great - the American Crime story series has been really good so far with that and the OJ Simpson one. There’s a 3rd coming out about the Impeachment of Bill Clinton as well which should be good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mabrah said:

I think the streaming platforms generally have revitalised TV production. You do get a once-in-a-while decent offering on BBC or ITV but I don't they can't compete in terms of production. I do wonder though if we are reaching saturation point, as I read for example that Netflix are starting to cut back and rein budgets in. I personally can't afford to have a subscription to several streaming sites, and I suspect I'm not alone in that, so I reckon the market will get more competitive and there'll be those that fall by the wayside.

That said, the BBC isn't all about TV and film making. It provides a broader range of needs and services so one can't really equate the BBC licence fee with a Netflix subscription!

Yes fair point.:thumbup:

On 24/01/2020 at 11:52, Manini said:

The Versace show is great - the American Crime story series has been really good so far with that and the OJ Simpson one. There’s a 3rd coming out about the Impeachment of Bill Clinton as well which should be good. 

Cool when does that come out 

Watched ‘don’t f**k with cats’ - found it quite compulsive viewing and for added effect 

got a niche extra reason to hate the Sun Newspaper in it.

Edited by shanetko