Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

*weird indeed 

Not saying its the right thing to do but it would be interesting to see how long they had the test for as maybe some are automatically negative if they dont come back within a certain period due to a lack of resources? Bit strange nonetheless.

I see there are some wonderful conspiracy theories in the twitter responses though.

10 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Not saying its the right thing to do but it would be interesting to see how long they had the test for as maybe some are automatically negative if they dont come back within a certain period due to a lack of resources? Bit strange nonetheless.

I see there are some wonderful conspiracy theories in the twitter responses though.

Surely a non-return could just be classed as n/a though? 

53 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

I wasn't agreeing (or disagreeing) with anything Dr Shikora has said.  I was making a general point.

I'm just sick of this morbid masochistic media fest, that postively revels and gloats in every bit of bad news it can find.

I'd much rather people were overly-concerned than blase about it. 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Surely a non-return could just be classed as n/a though? 

You would hope so. More likely to be incompetence than something underhand in my opinion but guess we wont know unless MPs are asked in the briefing.

1 minute ago, bovril said:

I'd much rather people were overly-concerned than blase about it. 

This should only be true if all sources of such news were factual 

3 minutes ago, Nalis said:

You would hope so. More likely to be incompetence than something underhand in my opinion but guess we wont know unless MPs are asked in the briefing.

It reads like the tests were never picked up in the first place from their home. 

Just now, bovril said:

It's extremely easy with a situation like this to separate what is fact from what is opinion. 

Sorry, thought he was referring to the media coverage. (in which case we certainly cannot)

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

With all the mental health awareness these days, I’d have thought people would be more understanding of the need for a bit of positivity. Unless your agoraphobic this has been tough on even the most resilient of us.

I get that, but I've felt that people still want to avoid having difficult discussions about this, like a lot of other things in the UK. We are bafflingly placid to a lot of outside observers. 

Edited by bovril

1 minute ago, bovril said:

I get that, but I've felt that people still want to avoid having difficult discussions about this, like a lot of other things in the UK. We are bafflingly placid to a lot of outside observers. 

Some people can’t handle the despair and will avoid the news altogether if it sends them spiralling. That’s dangerous in itself. I’m not saying we should mollycoddled people but a few nice uplifting light at the end of tunnel reporting, amongst the world’s burning constant repetition wouldn’t go amiss and we should be careful pouring scorn all over it. Some people need that message.

9 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Some people can’t handle the despair and will avoid the news altogether if it sends them spiralling. That’s dangerous in itself. I’m not saying we should mollycoddled people but a few nice uplifting light at the end of tunnel reporting, amongst the world’s burning constant repetition wouldn’t go amiss and we should be careful pouring scorn all over it. Some people need that message.

I am very concerned that in recent years there has seemingly been an increase in people labelled doom-mongers for pointing out that some decisions have very real, life-changing consequences. Like I said, I think we're a surprisingly placid nation.

But I realise we're not going to agree, and I do get what you're saying. Don't want to get banned from the thread...

Edited by bovril
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, bovril said:

How can we not discern fact from opinion in the media, in regards to Covid 19? 

Because the media is free to provide reports that are in contravention of each other? 

Edited by Dahnsouff

Just now, bovril said:

It's obvious that it's opinion though. I don't see how it's 'hidden' in any way. 

Suppose it depends, But maybe some people will take the media at face value, and if article A says “Scientist X reports Something” and article B says “Scientist Y reports something else”, then the information is in the out there and thereby has influence.

3 minutes ago, bovril said:

I am very concerned that in recent years there has seemingly been an increase in people labelled doom-mongers for pointing out that some decisions have very real, life-changing consequences. Like I said, I think we're a surprisingly placid nation.

But I realise we're not going to agree, and I do agree with what you're saying. Don't want to get banned from the thread...

Should be no need for that, I’m not being confrontational and I don’t think you are.

I’m not even saying that doom shouldn’t be reported, just that attacking anything positive, especially now is not productive in my opinion.

I tend to feed off social situations when I’m down, I doubt I’m unique in that and if it wasn’t for the frankly glorious weather we are having right now, I think I’d be in a slump looking for a beacon of hope. 

6 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

There’s certainly a need for positive news, and there’s been for very heartwarming stories around elderly folks coming out the other side of ventilators, Capt. Tom, the Thursday clap for the NHS etc. 

However, the death toll isn’t something to be romanticised. It’s serious news and we should take it with the gravity it deserves. The bloke was refreshing for the first month, however our death rate had dropped at a much slower than out European counterparts and the constant happy-clapping about it from him becomes tiring and somewhat suspicious. I’m not saying he’s a government stooge, but frankly, this isn’t good news and I don’t think it should be glossed over with a constant happy tone that almost becomes dismissive of the reality. 

There’s plenty of good news stories about, I agree some should get more airtime. But the death statistics simply aren’t encouraging at the moment, I think it’s bad form for people, regardless of intentions, to suggest they are.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree, I think someone bringing the same facts with a positive jolly slant, should be welcomed and appreciated. You can just chose to ignore him and follow someone else surely?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Suppose it depends, But maybe some people will take the media at face value, and if article A says “Scientist X reports Something” and article B says “Scientist Y reports something else”, then the information is in the out there and thereby has influence.

We live in age when people have easy access to both Scientist X and Scientist Y, and should be able to understand that both hold theories based on their own interpretation of factual data. 

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

Sorry I didn't mean to sort of aim that at you, I'm more annoyed by them!

No need to apologise. 

I agree, I don't think it will make a difference at all, I'm annoyed by them also, but mainly by the fact I've been stuck indoors because of my eyes and nose fvcking streaming in this weather lol

• Like 1