Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

17 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I guess we will have to agree to disagree, I think someone bringing the same facts with a positive jolly slant, should be welcomed and appreciated. You can just chose to ignore him and follow someone else surely?

Hear hear.

There's nothing at all wrong with trying to get your news from someone trying to see the positive side. After about 5 weeks being locked indoors viewing the "normal" news everyday you feel like dogshite. 

The worst thing is the people trying to get every one else to feel as bad as themselves. Baffling. Same with this reposting pictures of people at beaches and parks. It doesn't actually make anything better, just makes people that are still trying to follow the rules feel worse about doing so. Talk about shooting yourselves in the foot ffs.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I guess we will have to agree to disagree, I think someone bringing the same facts with a positive jolly slant, should be welcomed and appreciated. You can just chose to ignore him and follow someone else surely?

Fair enough mate. 

I don’t follow him to be fair, main exposure is just retweets, posts on here or when he’s on the news. Deaths tolls aren’t something I’ve personally ever seen delivered with a positive slant, but if it helps people through these days then who am I to argue?

Just now, Finnaldo said:

Fair enough mate. 

I don’t follow him to be fair, main exposure is just retweets, posts on here or when he’s on the news. Deaths tolls aren’t something I’ve personally ever seen delivered with a positive slant, but if it helps people through these days then who am I to argue?

Death tolls falling are positive though right? I mean, yeah there’s deaths (bad) but fewer (yay).

Being on the slide of the curve, is better than being on the ascent. I feel it’s important for us to remain positive in these times, lots of us have children who look to us and I’d rather we deliver a message of hope too, even if it’s a little bit wishy washy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Be nice if there was summat in this. Guess we'll await the scrutiny of the scientific community to find out...

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN2370OQ?__twitter_impression=true

There was a study in Pescara and another Italian region that found the same but they didn’t know if it was the potency of the virus or the health systems figuring out how best to treat it.

7 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

The world needs people like you to be in the detail and overly concerned else nothing would get done.

Understand that other personality types, like mine, tend to navigate life with one part realism, two parts optimism.

I would still argue, though, that while it's good to be pragmatic, that the negativity coming from yours and others' posts outweighs the reality of the situation by more than 2:1.

Nearly 40,000 people have died now in the UK. Even if it ends up being 5x that in total, which seems highly unlikely by this point, life will go on. I've said it before and I'll say it again. It sounds like a big number but in the grand scheme of things, it blends in with other diseases and illnesses and is therefore not worth undue stress. Or at least, you ought to only be as concerned about the virus as you might be cancer, or heart disease. If you're active in the contribution of research in these fields, financially or otherwise, then fair enough. 

For as long as the fact remains you'd have to be very unlucky to be stricken down with this thing, I will continue to treat it in the same regard I treat any other cause of death, which is this: 'it's tragic, but it's probably not going to happen to me, and it's not worth living in fear, so I'll carry on living my life.'

Alternatively you can continue to worry yourself and others with all of the latest news on the matter despite it having been abundantly clear for a while now that it is dwindling by the day.

At the risk of sounding condescending, I think I know which camp I'd rather be in. 

I can understand this trail of thought to a certain extent. But the very real real fact is, if I got cancer, I'm not going to infect people around me with my social interactions. This is what people seem to forget. 

Yes, some people are going to die. But if we all walk around with a "well I'll probably be ok and some people won't be", we're all going to lose a lot more loved ones earlier than we'd want.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Simi said:

I can understand this trail of thought to a certain extent. But the very real real fact is, if I got cancer, I'm not going to infect people around me with my social interactions. This is what people seem to forget. 

Yes, some people are going to die. But if we all walk around with a "well I'll probably be ok and some people won't be", we're all going to lose a lot more loved ones earlier than we'd want.

Might I add that I am following all of the guidelines at the same time as;

- Remaining upbeat

- Playing loads of golf

- Travelling to national parks every weekend

I'm not advocating lawlessness. You can be sensible at the same time as being an optimist.

• Like 2

I notice that reported daily cases worldwide are still going up whilst deaths are going down. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Could be any of the following I suppose:

- Virus is becoming less lethal
- Doctors are getting better at treating patients

- Higher test rates are catching more mild infections

Probably a combination of all 3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Be nice if there was summat in this. Guess we'll await the scrutiny of the scientific community to find out...

Massive result that would be. Really hope that’s what we’re seeing, it could become as much a threat as the seasonal flu if it continues in that vein.

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Fvcking splendid news!

More corroboration from another doctor here.

https://orthospinenews.com/2020/05/06/doctors-react-to-study-revealing-covid-19-mutations-may-be-weakening-this-is-virology-101/

This is how SARS ended.

Looking into it a bit more, it turns out, the Arizona sample was seen in just 1 out of 382 swabs. :mellow:,

Apparently this weakened strain has 81 out of 30,000 RNA letters deleted.

If this turns out to be much weaker, we should bottle it and replicate it.  A ready made vaccine.

Guest Markyblue
6 hours ago, murphy said:

Fvcking splendid news!

More corroboration from another doctor here.

https://orthospinenews.com/2020/05/06/doctors-react-to-study-revealing-covid-19-mutations-may-be-weakening-this-is-virology-101/

This is how SARS ended.

A report several weeks ago from Israel stated that they fought the virus had a active life of 10 weeks then began to fade. I thought at the time it was to good to be true.fingers crossed. 

10 hours ago, bovril said:

We live in age when people have easy access to both Scientist X and Scientist Y, and should be able to understand that both hold theories based on their own interpretation of factual data. 

Perhaps, but this implies a willingness (or capacity) to make the effort to understand in depth.

13 hours ago, Izzy said:

I think I've become a bit institutionalized if I'm honest.

I got a letter/texts telling me to shield until end of June so subconscious I've planned to not venture out again until at least then. 

It's strange because my job involved quite a bit of travel and face to face interaction but going back to all that feels a million years away. 

I've got used to my hermit lifestyle now I think and feeling quite nervous about taking on the outside world again :unsure:

The effect of isolation on the mind is not to be underestimated.  We learn from an early age that some actions endanger us and this makes us aware that to survive we must avoid these in the future.  In this pandemic we've been told, and mostly believed, that it's dangerous out there.  We've also mostly accepted that isolation is safe, our way of avoiding the danger.

To now change our habits is to go against our natural survival instincts, however we must do that in order to regain our previous life patterns.  Every time we mean to go out then shy away from the prospect re-inforces our belief of the danger of venturing outside.  This can happen to agoraphobics.

I have to go out today (to hospital for a test, instructed to do so by the NHS) after isolation and I've been uncomfortable with the thought but realise that my reticence is an entirely natural reaction to an unnatural restriction placed on me.  What I do expect is that after today it will be easier next time.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

I've just seen the footage of the London and Manchester protests. I honestly can't believe what I'm seeing. 

The protests in America, while a risk to health, are very understandable based on the sheer number of police killings per year. But to try and replicate that over here, where we're one of the few countries in the world without armed officers as a routine, seems misguided in healthy times and downright dangerous in the midst of a viral pandemic. 

Seems bonkers to me too. Especially considering the virus seems to be deadlier to minorities. :unsure:

43 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

I've just seen the footage of the London and Manchester protests. I honestly can't believe what I'm seeing. 

The protests in America, while a risk to health, are very understandable based on the sheer number of police killings per year. But to try and replicate that over here, where we're one of the few countries in the world without armed officers as a routine, seems misguided in healthy times and downright dangerous in the midst of a viral pandemic. 

It's done through some weird desperation to ape America and its utterly baffling. 

What is even the point? It can't be that bullshit 'awareness' excuse because obviously everyone is aware. It's some pathetic attempt to appear woke and with it and I'd be critical in the healthiest of times. 

Anyone involved in a protest that has nothing to do with their country during a time of pandemic are ****ing morons. 

• Like 2

Get it is a huge issue (like massive), but not like this people. That isn`t your country, but this may be your fight, but do it sensibly. I am trying very hard not do draw a cynical conclusion to these protests outside of the US.