Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

I've just seen the footage of the London and Manchester protests. I honestly can't believe what I'm seeing. 

The protests in America, while a risk to health, are very understandable based on the sheer number of police killings per year. But to try and replicate that over here, where we're one of the few countries in the world without armed officers as a routine, seems misguided in healthy times and downright dangerous in the midst of a viral pandemic. 

We could see them all rammed in on Westminster Bridge, from the icu where we are still looking after lots of covid patients.

Edited by z-layrex
  • Like 1

Find it reassuring we're sticking to the time table and trying to slowly return to normal. I was really worried at the start of May that we'd allow short term thinking to cause devastating long term effects to the country.

There seems to be positive developments coming from science and tech every week now as well. There's a long way to go, but it's good to see that we seem to be making good progress in the effort to minimise the risk of Covid-19 while not absolutely destroying the world which we know.

In Leicester terms, we've just hired Nigel Pearson and things are looking up. There's still a very real possibility of a Sousa/Sven plateau period, but it should be nowhere near as bad as the pre-Nige times.

• Like 2

Just read that from from today it’s now illegal for the visitor AND the host to be found inside another persons household. 

The neighbour in the adjacent flat to mine is still having her fella over 3-4 times a week over night, and to be honest, if i were living in a house, it wouldn’t bother me in the slightest really, but because we live in flats it’s the none householders coming in through the communal walkways that concerns me. 

Even more annoying is the fact that she is some kind of care worker, as far as I know she does home visits to her companies clients. We haven’t done the clap for Carers for a few weeks now, simply because those pair of dickheads are stood outside clapping, with her making a point of looking around to see who is clapping. I refuse to let her think that I’m clapping for her the hypocritical ****. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Am i missing something, apart from the football. Everyone is off work and all the shops open! surely it would be better to get everyone back to work so they've not got time to attack places like ikea in their droves.

What? 

"Everyone" isn't off work. Hell, looking at the numbers on furlough, I'd say a majority are back at work. The people currently at home are probably the people that work in shops and the like. lol

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

What? 

"Everyone" isn't off work. Hell, looking at the numbers on furlough, I'd say a majority are back at work. The people currently at home are probably the people that work in shops and the like. lol

The majority have been working throughout I think, despite the idea that everyone is out sunning themselves.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Am i missing something, apart from the football. Everyone is off work and all the shops open! surely it would be better to get everyone back to work so they've not got time to attack places like ikea in their droves.

I wish, this virus has not impacted my work one jot, in fact, it may even have got more busy! Realise that in reality this makes me lucky, but sometimes its hard to stomach nonetheless.

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/01/spate-of-possible-uk-coronavirus-cases-from-2019-come-to-light

You’ll groan it’s the Guardian but some strong evidence that CV19 may have been about Nov/Dec 

I'm convinced I had it late November/early December. Never been so ill and for so long 

25 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

What? 

Images of 2 different ikea shops. And i know they would be only letting so many in but surely you wouldn't get queues like this on a monday

2qujFDGaTuL7Zn2Is4nu_ikkea1.jpg

22FbZCC2Q0WCfXBKl1Lq_100156242-1.jpg

My son (12) was poorly with Covid like symptons in February. It seemed a bit fanciful that he had got coronavirus at the time. His symptoms were a raging temperature and sore throat. We took him to the walk in when his temperature was over 40 but they didn't mention anything about covid. It crossed my mind that it might be covid at the time, but I dismissed it. It was about five days before he could even be arsed to switch his xbox on! 

The thing is, if he did have it, then the chances are all of us in the house have had it and no doubt lots of other people we came into contact with.

So if it is the case that my family is typical and lots of us may have already had it, what does that mean going forward? Or at least what would it mean if we could definatley confirm we'd had it?

2 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I'm convinced I had it late November/early December. Never been so ill and for so long 

Both my wife and daughter were really ill in Jan/ early Feb, doctor put it down to lung infections and gave them anti-biotics and inhalers.  Also said there was something nasty going round so they must have been reporting it. All i got was waking up on consecutive nights in a pool of sweat which i thought was a new quilt we'd had.

38 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

My son (12) was poorly with Covid like symptons in February. It seemed a bit fanciful that he had got coronavirus at the time. His symptoms were a raging temperature and sore throat. We took him to the walk in when his temperature was over 40 but they didn't mention anything about covid. It crossed my mind that it might be covid at the time, but I dismissed it. It was about five days before he could even be arsed to switch his xbox on! 

The thing is, if he did have it, then the chances are all of us in the house have had it and no doubt lots of other people we came into contact with.

So if it is the case that my family is typical and lots of us may have already had it, what does that mean going forward? Or at least what would it mean if we could definatley confirm we'd had it?

It is likely people will have some degree or immunity if they've had it already, from what I've read from various sources anyway.

As it can't be 100% proven as of yet however, I dont think any authorities want to make that statement just in case people get it again and file a lawsuit against them. I also think not much in this field has been stated by govts as they might be worried people wont take precautions if they've had it already, eg washing heads as they are still a 'surface' for transmission, etc.

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/01/spate-of-possible-uk-coronavirus-cases-from-2019-come-to-light

You’ll groan it’s the Guardian but some strong evidence that CV19 may have been about Nov/Dec 

I still struggle with how if it's spread so easily and there are so many asymptomatic cases how it wouldn't have, but I guess we'll wait and see on the science. Hopefully it is but you'd imagine if it was there would be a sudden influx of hospital patients or spike in deaths which there weren't.

So on the BBC today we have a story of anger over the women's football league being cancelled and a story of anger over the men's football league being given the go ahead. 

Could not make this shit up. No wonder everyone seems one poke from crazy. :mellow:

When mobile coronavirus testing unit is coming to Leicester city centre
It will be present for several days

ByDan MartinPolitics Reporter
14:24, 1 JUN 2020

A mobile coronavirus testing unit will be in Leicester city centre tomorrow.

The unit will be present for several days so people with virus symptoms can be checked.

Only those who have made advance appointments can be tested and the precise location of the unit is not being disclosed to avoid people turning up on spec.

The unit will be in the city for several days giving people who want a test an alternative to going to the fixed testing centre running at Birstall.

Mobile units have an integrated one-way system that allows people with an appointment to attend for either walk-in or drive through testing.

The eligibility criteria for tests have been extended to include anyone aged over the age of 5 with symptoms

Essential workers will be given priority.

Assistant city mayor for health Vi Dempster, said: “It’s good that we will have some increased capacity for testing in the city, in addition to the facility on the edge of the city in Birstall.

“We need to do everything we can to make it easier for people with symptoms to get tested. People do need to remember it is essential to book an appointment before travelling.”

8 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

So on the BBC today we have a story of anger over the women's football league being cancelled and a story of anger over the men's football league being given the go ahead. 

Could not make this shit up. No wonder everyone seems one poke from crazy. :mellow:

To paraphrase Abraham Lincoln Well attributed to him)

You can Please all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot Please all the people all the time.

My daughter was ill in late November. It was put down to ‘flu’ but wasn’t the typical flu symptoms. She mainly had fever, cough and real lethargy. Lasted about 1 week and then took several days after to get over it (missed 2 weeks of college in total).  We are convinced it was Covid.

Didnt know whether to put this into the what grinds my gears thread or here but the manipulated pictures of people apparantly showing a complete disregard for social distancing still really annoying me when its most occassions its the angle/perception of the picture that skews things.

Even though this has been dunbunked over a month ago.... https://observers.france24.com/en/20200501-people-flouting-social-distancing-rules-photos-perspective

... the media are still using the technique to date, case in point being queues outside IKEA and market places today.

Does make you think about how long China may covered it up for? I’m not into bashing nations I don’t have enough knowledge about but it took a couple of doctors to whistleblow and reveal for the world to know 

The political discourse seems to take this route but a lot scientists hypothesise that Wuhan was the first place where it got identified purely because of the high numbers of cases, not that it originated there. One of the big conspiracy theories in China is that it actually arrived in the country during the World Military Games which were held at the end of October in guess where, Wuhan. Ultimately until you're seeing abnormally large swathes of pneumonia patients then nobody suspects a thing and even then it'd most likely be suspected as a flu outbreak for a while on top of that. Obviously the CCP are monsters however identifying emerging disease is really bloody difficult and a lot of countries (within their scientific communities) would have made the same mistakes.

Edited by Lionator
  • Like 4