Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

40 minutes ago, brucey said:

The y-axis looks like numbers of COVID admissions per 100k population.

Not quite sure what they mean with the asterisk comment at the bottom, if not all samples are back, surely that means the actual number is higher? Or maybe they mean not all hospitals have reported their figures yet. 

so that looks like 3 new admissions  per 100000 in London, or 0.003 %. I wouldn't have thought that was that many people and not really enough to show any sort of increase or any reason to change what measures we are currently taking.

30 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

so that looks like 3 new admissions  per 100000 in London, or 0.003 %. I wouldn't have thought that was that many people and not really enough to show any sort of increase or any reason to change what measures we are currently taking.

Yeah, agreed even if it was real, it's way, way too small to go back into lockdown. We'd need to approach the size of the previous peak to even consider it again. Just thought it was interesting that it looks like a genuine blip in the graph, and London will likely be the first place to show any signs of a second wave. 

2 hours ago, brucey said:

Bit early to tell but maybe initial signs of a second wave in London? @z-layrex?

EZLjT-sXkAECAew.jpeg

They would have to see a sustained change to reintroduce lockdown. This is most likely to just be 'statistical noise'/unexplained variance. Basically it could just be completely random, as long as it's not statistically significant, there's nothing to worry about. 

Just walking down Oxford Road in Manchester, and not wanting to generalise, I just observed an Asian girl wait at a crossing for a full minute before it turned to the green man. There was no traffic in sight either way the whole time. It's a long, straight road, not like there are any bends for cars to suddenly appear from.

Made me laugh but also shows how different we are as a society culturally. The level of obedience ingrained in Eastern culture is mind boggling.

Useful when you want to control the spread of a virus!

33 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Just walking down Oxford Road in Manchester, and not wanting to generalise, I just observed an Asian girl wait at a crossing for a full minute before it turned to the green man. There was no traffic in sight either way the whole time. It's a long, straight road, not like there are any bends for cars to suddenly appear from.

Made me laugh but also shows how different we are as a society culturally. The level of obedience ingrained in Eastern culture is mind boggling.

You just observed an Asian girl for a full minute?

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Probably she previously lived in Germany ....That blows your theory in ingrained obedience from the east...I

Plus all Asiens walk all over the Hocky,when Crossing the road...

But then again an high percentage of the  rest of Europe Tends to lay East of UK....

Edited by fuchsntf

*Genuinely* unsure whether this is allowed in here, so apologies if not...

Lockdown restrictions are being lifted in England before experts are ready to cut the threat level from coronavirus from “high”, No 10 has admitted.

Boris Johnson had been expected to lower the alert level from 4 to 3 when he gave the go-ahead for groups of 6 to mix in gardens and parks, but failed to mention it.

Now his spokesman has conceded the level remains at 4 – where transmission of the virus is said to be “high” – while arguing it is “coming down from 4 to 3”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-lockdown-restrictions-cases-deaths-threat-level-boris-johnson-a9538751.html

Hope their confidence is not misplaced.

16 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

*Genuinely* unsure whether this is allowed in here, so apologies if not...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-lockdown-restrictions-cases-deaths-threat-level-boris-johnson-a9538751.html

Hope their confidence is not misplaced.

Well, I am going to continue staying at home as much as possible, with the exception of maybe meeting up one on one with a couple of people who i know are being sensible. I am being extra cautious in the same way as I decided to lock down before we were officially asked to. Fortunately the nature of my work allows me to do that, but I am of the mindset that if those of us who can effectively work from home continue to do so for as long as necessary, then hopefully this will benefit us all in the long run. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Lionator said:

I know there was something on the previous thread, but has anybody been unfortunate to test positive for covid or know somebody who has?

What was your/their experience?

I had a really rough case of tonsillitis last week and tested negative, no idea how I caught it though as I hadn't been out in days.

Yeah girlfriend’s mum got tested positive this week. Had a cough and now just seems quite tired all day. Nothing too bad though fortunately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I tell you what, I wouldn't want to be a copper anyway, but I'd especially not want to be one over the next couple of weeks. Folk being allowed out after months, hot weather - they're going to go crazy, even without the pubs opening up

Probably a Good Test and Proof how yobbish, the yobs have become.....

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Looking at the current flattening .... we don’t want to see it flatten out at the current rate of approx 200/day 

SAGE advisors have gone on record tonight saying it’s too early to ease lockdown. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

8 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

You just observed an Asian girl for a full minute?

lol

I was walking towards the crossing that she was at. 

It wasn't intended as a negative comment by the way, just fascinating how differently we all think and act is all.

45 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

lol

I was walking towards the crossing that she was at. 

It wasn't intended as a negative comment by the way, just fascinating how differently we all think and act is all.

Please, you don’t have to explain yourself.

Guest Markyblue
9 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Looking at the current flattening .... we don’t want to see it flatten out at the current rate of approx 200/day 

Its consistently going down over a 7 day period and has done for several weeks. 450 people a day die from heart failure and nobody says a word,  we have become obsessed with the figures but the problem is everything else caused by the lockdown is being totally ignored,  loneliness, mental health,  serious conditions people are not getting looked at because of our overwhelming fixation on only the covid deaths,  let alone the long term damage to our economy and general wellbeing that will impact on the nhs for years to come.

1 hour ago, Markyblue said:

Its consistently going down over a 7 day period and has done for several weeks. 450 people a day die from heart failure and nobody says a word,  we have become obsessed with the figures but the problem is everything else caused by the lockdown is being totally ignored,  loneliness, mental health,  serious conditions people are not getting looked at because of our overwhelming fixation on only the covid deaths,  let alone the long term damage to our economy and general wellbeing that will impact on the nhs for years to come.

Last time I checked, heart failure didn’t have a transmission rate of 3. 

without an effective test and trace mechanism in place, this policy runs the risk of reviving the R rate back above 1 and in places like London, Birmingham and Manchester, that could become a big problem v quickly.  We have the summer on our side at the moment but after such a long period of good conditions, it wouldn’t surprise if it went the other way and then the six people in gardens becomes six people in a living room and the buses become more crowded again with queues at bus stops etc etc etc 

I accept we need to move on but without simple stuff like masks being required, we are shooting ourselves in the foot ...... again ..... if the weather stays good then I suspect we’ll get away with it (but I’m worried about public transport) 

• Like 1