Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Think people are right to be concerned about longer term effects, this cannot be studied or perhaps not even realistically theorised about at this point.
Sister-in-law had it two months ago, and although she is recovered, she also says she feels “not quite right”. For someone who was fit and active, she is now complaining of a certain sluggedness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Think people are right to be concerned about longer term effects, this cannot be studied or perhaps not even realistically theorised about at this point.
Sister-in-law had it two months ago, and although she is recovered, she also says she feels “not quite right”. For someone who was fit and active, she is now complaining of a certain sluggedness.

Difficult to verify that, though.

It's always going to be in the back of your mind, so could be confirmation bias.

Also could just be a side effect of being out of routine/in the house more. That can cause you to feel sluggish at the best of times.

Not dismissing it as a theory, just think we need to be careful about the level of certainty we place on the theory based on anecdotal cases of 'not feeling quite right'. 

• Like 2

Just now, Nod.E said:

Difficult to verify that, though.

It's always going to be in the back of your mind, so could be confirmation bias.

Also could just be a side effect of being out of routine/in the house more. That can cause you to feel sluggish at the best of times.

Not dismissing it as a theory, just think we need to be careful about the level of certainty we place on the theory based on anecdotal cases of 'not feeling quite right'. 

Oh for sure, not disputing that at all. Sure a lot of people who have had an enforced routine change feel a little out of sorts, just the facts of its longer term effects cannot be known for some time is something we should be wary of, and should encourage people to consider the situation unresolved for some time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Oh for sure, not disputing that at all. Sure a lot of people who have had an enforced routine change feel a little out of sorts, just the facts of its longer term effects cannot be known for some time is something we should be wary of, and should encourage people to consider the situation unresolved for some time.

The studies have followed sufferers of SARS, another coronavirus, and scanned their lungs 15 years later. A third of them had scarring, so I think it's pretty safe to say that many people recovered from Covid 19 will have long term health implications. 

28 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Anti body tests are starting to become available now according to my wife, I think that’ll ease a few fears when we all know if we’ve had it or not.

9 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Currently watching contagion seems very similar to coronavirus. Should really have been more prepared if a ****ing film predicted it.

Hopefully we’ll be better prepared when mars invade us tho....

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

The studies have followed sufferers of SARS, another coronavirus, and scanned their lungs 15 years later. A third of them had scarring, so I think it's pretty safe to say that many people recovered from Covid 19 will have long term health implications. 

Interesting. Wonder if the long term effects differ based on age groups.

3 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Hopefully. Also I think I saw apes will attack us at some point too so best get some team sorted to counter their attack. 

I know it probably sounds ungrateful but the sooner the avengers get here to protect the better, wtf are they pissing around at? 

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Funnily enough, we were discussing this earlier in my house. My wife was pointing out that two months on, she is still struggling with stamina (something she had plenty of before this).  My ability to sit down with my feet up seems unaffected .......

My wife’s been complaining about my stamina for years mate 🙄

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

SARS 1 was roughly ten times more deadly than SARS 2 though, so any long term effects are going to be in the minority fortunately. 

There's going to be a plague of locusts in Africa apparently expected to be the biggest in decades which will strip their crops. So that's probably going to result in famine. So, I'm not a religious person but it seems we will have pestilence, plague (covid19) and famine. That's 3 out of 4 that the 4 horsemen of the Apocalypse say will result in the end of the world. The 4th is fire and think about the massive bush fires in Australia and that's the set. Are we doomed?

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Lionator said:

SARS 1 was roughly ten times more deadly than SARS 2 though, so any long term effects are going to be in the minority fortunately. 

How does that translate to the numbers of CV victims worldwide? 

14 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

How does that translate to the numbers of CV victims worldwide? 

Not too sure as SARS 1 only killed 800 people. It'll probably depend on underlying health conditions too but I'd be very surprised in 1 in 3 cases led to permanent damage. Perhaps 1 in 3 serious cases which require hospitalisation though.

33 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Not too sure as SARS 1 only killed 800 people. It'll probably depend on underlying health conditions too but I'd be very surprised in 1 in 3 cases led to permanent damage. Perhaps 1 in 3 serious cases which require hospitalisation though.

From what I've read the long term damage is not dependent on the severity of the symptoms experienced

Guest Markyblue
1 hour ago, Parafox said:

There's going to be a plague of locusts in Africa apparently expected to be the biggest in decades which will strip their crops. So that's probably going to result in famine. So, I'm not a religious person but it seems we will have pestilence, plague (covid19) and famine. That's 3 out of 4 that the 4 horsemen of the Apocalypse say will result in the end of the world. The 4th is fire and think about the massive bush fires in Australia and that's the set. Are we doomed?

No were going to win the fa cup.

I know its not now but when do we start considering the death tolls due to the lockdown related issues (knock on effect from unemployment / domestic abuse / suicide, etc) vs death tolls resulting from the virus itself?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

People shielding are allowed outdoors from tomorrow, and to meet one person from another household with social distancing in place if they live alone 

BBC News - Coronavirus: People shielding in England allowed outdoors from Monday
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52862440

I don't get this. I thought it was a 12-week period they had to shield and self-isolate for and that took them up to end of June. 

I saw an article last week as well that some people were sent a text to say they're allowed to 'unshield' but that their GPs weren't informed when they should have been. 

42 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I don't get this. I thought it was a 12-week period they had to shield and self-isolate for and that took them up to end of June. 

I saw an article last week as well that some people were sent a text to say they're allowed to 'unshield' but that their GPs weren't informed when they should have been. 

Yes shielding was initially to the end of June, so far I can't see any explanation why that's now changed. Personally I'm not planning to do anything differently, but I suppose it's good news for those who choose to. 

I saw that too, I think those people had conditions that were no longer considered to put them at higher risk, but why their GP's weren't made aware who knows... The whole shielding thing has seemed to be a bit clunky tbh, but then I have no idea how difficult a situation it is to manage. I certainly don't envy the people trying to organise it! 

1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

Yes shielding was initially to the end of June, so far I can't see any explanation why that's now changed. Personally I'm not planning to do anything differently, but I suppose it's good news for those who choose to. 

I saw that too, I think those people had conditions that were no longer considered to put them at higher risk, but why their GP's weren't made aware who knows... The whole shielding thing has seemed to be a bit clunky tbh, but then I have no idea how difficult a situation it is to manage. I certainly don't envy the people trying to organise it! 

One of the conditions was severe asthma though lol

A respiratory illness, severe one at that, not listed as high risk against a virus that attacks the respiratory system. 

Makes sense lol