Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

3 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/01/spate-of-possible-uk-coronavirus-cases-from-2019-come-to-light

You’ll groan it’s the Guardian but some strong evidence that CV19 may have been about Nov/Dec 

Interesting. My niece was in hospital in November with breathing difficulties, she was only there for a night but she was only 1 at the time so probably fought it off better than others would.

3 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

I'm convinced I had it late November/early December. Never been so ill and for so long 

I had a really bad cough arrive on New Year's Day and lasted for over a week, felt really hot then cold in the space of a couple of hours and had two days off work feeling worn out. I'm thinking I may've had it then, I've had no symptoms since it was brought to our attention in late January.

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

Some great news coming in on  the stats ... not getting carried away ...   but bloody good feeling all the same. !!  :)

It does seem like we are through the worst. A lot of people will say “but the Spanish flu second wave was bigger” but like those same people will also have said at the beginning, this isn’t the flu. There will be small waves moving forward until we have a vaccine but we (the world) are in such a better place now than a couple of months back.

Touching wood but I’m also ecstatic that this hasn’t ravaged Africa as much as earlier feared. Will be interesting to see why that is!! 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

He or his department have sneaked a further 550 deaths to the count but announced an increase of 117 

Yeah they added those in today - the additional deaths date back to 26th April 2020.

No idea why they haven't been accounted for before? 

Some doctor mates have shared this article on Facebook about the specific nature of the virus. Bit of an interesting read, what do you guys @z-layrex and @Parafox make of it? 

https://elemental.medium.com/coronavirus-may-be-a-blood-vessel-disease-which-explains-everything-2c4032481ab2

Edited by Fox in the North
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Lionator said:

Even if you feel like you’ve had it, unless it was confirmed please don’t assume you’re immune. 

Very much so 

it will be v interesting to see the antibody test results when they begin to become available. Of course there are viral infections around every winter and most who suffer just move on. The pandemic has concentrated minds and made sufferers wonder exactly what they contracted ... 

I guess it’s feasible that a strain of CV was around dec/jan which was less virulent and also less contagious.....

we have been told that the european strain from n Italy is more dangerous than the original e Asian one from China..

Edited by st albans fox

5 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

Some doctor mates have shared this article on Facebook about the specific nature of the virus. Bit of an interesting read, what do you guys @z-layrex and @Parafox make of it? 

https://elemental.medium.com/coronavirus-may-be-a-blood-vessel-disease-which-explains-everything-2c4032481ab2

This is quite interesting with an hereditary blood disorder that makes my blood clot easier, factor five Leiden named after the town in Holland, with is more prevalent in Scandinavians. I would have expected to see a much higher rate of deaths in these regions if this had been the case. Having had DVT and suspected pulmonary embolism. But I am no doctor.

50 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

That's an interesting read and I've read elsewhere that the virus affects blood vessels as well as the lungs. It seems to be something that could attack various organs and tissues of the body. Personally, I have been to 2 cardiac arrests in people under 60 yrs old who had Covid symptoms prior to cardiac arrest and the most common cause of cardiac arrest in those of that age group is thrombus, otherwise known as a blood clot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Fox in the North said:

It would explain everything for me. I know you guys listened to me complain a lot about  Nightingale as a project before it even began, but for me it was always a staffing issue. However the other main reason for it being a failure was that it couldn't cope with such rampant organ failure.

I work with ecmo patients, basically a machine that will do the job of your lungs and/or heart if needed. Usually we will give a drug called heparin that "thins" the blood so as to make sure the machine doesn't clot. However it seemed like all of the patients had pulmonary embolism or other clotting issues that prevented this, giving us no end of issues. Even in the non-ecmo crowd the blood pressures and cardiac activity were wild in a way we had never seen. All of this would make more sense if true. 

Edited by z-layrex
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Parafox said:

That's an interesting read and I've read elsewhere that the virus affects blood vessels as well as the lungs. It seems to be something that could attack various organs and tissues of the body. Personally, I have been to 2 cardiac arrests in people under 60 yrs old who had Covid symptoms prior to cardiac arrest and the most common cause of cardiac arrest in those of that age group is thrombus, otherwise known as a blood clot.

53 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

It would explain everything for me. I know you guys listened to me complain a lot about  Nightingale as a project before it even began, but for me it was always a staffing issue. However the other main reason for it being a failure was that it couldn't cope with such rampant organ failure.

I work with ecmo patients, basically a machine that will do the job of your lungs and/or heart if needed. Usually we will give a drug called heparin that "thins" the blood so as to make sure the machine doesn't clot. However it seemed like all of the patients had pulmonary embolism or other clotting issues that prevented this, giving us no end of issues. Even in the non-ecmo crowd the blood pressures and cardiac activity were wild in a way we had never seen. All of this would make more sense if true. 

Thanks for that guys, really appreciate that. I don’t tend to share informative stuff from social media as it can be inaccurate but figured it did have some weight considering the friends were doctors.

I don’t suppose there’s much effective treatment for a virus that targets the cardiovascular system so comprehensively? (until a vaccine is developed that is!) 

Keep up the good work! Hope it’s easing off you two :fc:

9 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/01/spate-of-possible-uk-coronavirus-cases-from-2019-come-to-light

You’ll groan it’s the Guardian but some strong evidence that CV19 may have been about Nov/Dec 

I think I may have caught it just before Xmas as I was ill for4-5 weeks as was the rest of my family and I have never felt so crap for so long so it wouldn’t Suprise me.  

Some less positive news. The graph compares the French response to our own. They brought in lockdown whilst we continued with herd immunity and as you can see have lost considerably fewer lives.

France starting easing up lockdown on May 11th, 2 weeks later you can see a clear increase that isn't a few erroneous data points. You can see why epidemiologists are worried about our early release from lockdown and how careful we need to be. You'd hope we'd take some knowledge from what is happening across the channel to edit our own strategy, but I doubt that'll happen. 

I'm concerned given the current levels of people ignoring social distancing in tandem with the protests, we could be in for a serious increase soon.

20200602_085317.jpg

Thousands of shoppers have queued for hours to get into Ikea stores after the furniture giant reopened 19 shops in England and Northern Ireland on Monday.

They had been warned that only a limited number of shoppers would be welcomed with only one adult and one child from a household allowed in.

But Ikea was forced to shut car parks at some stores to help ease pressure.

In Warrington, people arrived at 05:40 to start queuing for the Ikea store to reopen at 09;00.

The company praised shoppers for their patience.

"Where we've seen strong demand we've taken appropriate decisions to open early for browsing and to temporarily close our car parks to help ease pressure and reduce waiting times," Ikea said.

"We're incredibly grateful to the public in playing their part to help keep everyone safe."

Queues across the country
In Warrington, a line of more than 1,000 people snaked around the car park with similar scenes at Ikea's Wembley store.

On Twitter, shoppers complained of "five-mile queues" in Croydon, Wembley and outside of London.

5 Mile queues WTF Why are people so desperate ?

8 minutes ago, davieG said:

Thousands of shoppers have queued for hours to get into Ikea stores after the furniture giant reopened 19 shops in England and Northern Ireland on Monday.

They had been warned that only a limited number of shoppers would be welcomed with only one adult and one child from a household allowed in.

But Ikea was forced to shut car parks at some stores to help ease pressure.

In Warrington, people arrived at 05:40 to start queuing for the Ikea store to reopen at 09;00.

The company praised shoppers for their patience.

"Where we've seen strong demand we've taken appropriate decisions to open early for browsing and to temporarily close our car parks to help ease pressure and reduce waiting times," Ikea said.

"We're incredibly grateful to the public in playing their part to help keep everyone safe."

Queues across the country
In Warrington, a line of more than 1,000 people snaked around the car park with similar scenes at Ikea's Wembley store.

On Twitter, shoppers complained of "five-mile queues" in Croydon, Wembley and outside of London.

5 Mile queues WTF Why are people so desperate ?

There are lots of things I'm missing, but IKEA ain't one of them!

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson has a history of risk-taking. In just the past 12 months, he's taken various big risks, including standing for the leadership of of Conservative Party, proroguing Parliament, calling a general election, shaking hands with those infected with CV-19, delaying lock-down until the last minute, and not sacking Dominic Cummings. Some of these gambles have paid off, whilst others haven't. His latest gamble is to partially lift the lock-down, whilst the threat level is still at four, the second highest. If the French graph above is anything to go by, I do worry this latest gamble will cost lives, just as his gambles in early and mid-March arguably cost many thousands of lives during April here in the UK, as well as almost costing him his own. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

There are lots of things I'm missing, but IKEA ain't one of them!

Would you join a 5 mile queue for any of them?

25 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson has a history of risk-taking. In just the past 12 months, he's taken various big risks, including standing for the leadership of of Conservative Party, proroguing Parliament, calling a general election, shaking hands with those infected with CV-19, delaying lock-down until the last minute, and not sacking Dominic Cummings. Some of these gambles have paid off, whilst others haven't. His latest gamble is to partially lift the lock-down, whilst the threat level is still at four, the second highest. If the French graph above is anything to go by, I do worry this latest gamble will cost lives, just as his gambles in early and mid-March arguably cost many thousands of lives during April here in the UK, as well as almost costing him his own. 

Lockdown costs lives, too. 

• Like 3